50,000 for FX Trader is normal?

I got an offer as an FX Trader in Japanese big name bank for emerging market currency.(Mostly NDF) They offered me 50,000 and no bonus for first year. I was surprised that I have to accept no bonus. The contract periode is 1 year, I do not know what it means and it is normal for this job.

6 Comments
 
BobbThis in NYC? That seems extremely low and no bonus if you are contributing to pnl doesn't seem right.

Seems kind of like a trainee position though which could make sense

I think for his first year he would be contributing more to the "l" and less to the "p."
 

Sounds like a trail run thing, could still be an excellent idea if its Nomura or whatever..

You could always try and negotiate..

I am going to call my kids Ctrl, Alt and Delete. That way if something is going wrong I can beat them all at once.
 

You will not believe how low the pay is in Japan. Almost all companies (including big electronic companies/banks) pay $22000 for employees that are straight out of university (this is the standard pay).

Outside of Japan, Nomura pays about the same as BB.

 
J_monkeyYou will not believe how low the pay is in Japan. Almost all companies (including big electronic companies/banks) pay $22000 for employees that are straight out of university (this is the standard pay).

Outside of Japan, Nomura pays about the same as BB.

I heard Nomura actually pays better here in North America than most BB.
 

Voluptas et blanditiis dicta alias sint aut officiis. Hic repudiandae aut ut vitae in est. Aperiam ut sequi repellendus perspiciatis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”