Feeling Lost: Rising Senior Who Had Summer 2024 Offer Cancelled

Title sums it up, I am a penultimate year student at a semi-target in the UK studying a stem degree, I was promised a position in a top group at a top MM boutique in London through an outstanding senior partner with whom I have a strong relationship. I was obviously very excited about this and was eager to verbally accept the offer. I just found out that the partner I was going to work for is going on gardening leave on a timeline which means that I will not have a position available for me this summer. He has promised to hire me once he gets his next thing going when I graduate, but not sure how to feel about that. Am I fucked for this summer? I have already exhausted my networking opportunities and turned down several other offers for this opportunity. I am trying to get back in touch with some people who previously offered to help me and am applying to anything I can find, but at this late stage I have not heard anything compelling back as of yet and I am starting to panic. I do not want the partner to be put off by the fact that I may not work this summer though I do have two years of finance experience in a Tier 1 city outside the UK, including one at a boutique IB. Also if something were to happen to this opportunity, it will be impossible to recruit for graduate positions without having a good internship in my penultimate year summer.

Looking for advice on different avenues to take with my summer, what should I do? Am I fucked? How do I become not fucked?

Ah, the classic tale of high finance drama—promises, sudden changes, and the scramble to keep one's career trajectory on track. First off, let's take a deep breath. While this is indeed a setback, it's far from the end of the world or your finance career. Based on the most helpful WSO content, here are some actionable steps and perspectives to consider:

1. Leverage Existing Relationships: You've mentioned turning down several offers for this opportunity. It's time to reconnect with those contacts. Be honest about your situation; the finance community understands how volatile things can be. Your previous experience in finance should serve as a strong testament to your capabilities.

2. Expand Your Network: While you feel you've exhausted your networking opportunities, there's always more ground to cover. Utilize LinkedIn, alumni networks, and even platforms like Wall Street Oasis to reach out to new contacts. Networking isn't just about finding immediate opportunities; it's about building relationships that can pay off in the long run.

3. Consider Alternative Experiences: If securing another IB role proves challenging, look for other finance-related internships or experiences that can bolster your resume. Asset management, equity research, or even fintech startups could provide valuable experience and demonstrate your adaptability to potential employers.

4. Skill Up: Use this time to enhance your skills. WSO Courses offer a plethora of resources to sharpen your financial modeling, valuation, and Excel skills. Being able to showcase these skills can make you a more attractive candidate.

5. Stay Positive and Proactive: It's easy to get disheartened, but maintaining a positive outlook and being proactive in your search can make a difference. Continue applying, networking, and exploring all avenues.

6. Prepare for the Worst, Hope for the Best: While the senior partner has promised a position once he settles, it's wise to prepare for all outcomes. Continue to build your profile and keep your options open.

7. Reflect on Your Experience: Use this as a learning opportunity. The unpredictable nature of the finance industry means adaptability, resilience, and a proactive mindset are crucial. Reflecting on this experience can provide valuable insights for your future career.

Remember, many successful finance professionals have faced setbacks at some point in their careers. It's how you respond to these challenges that defines your path forward. Keep pushing, keep learning, and stay engaged with the finance community. Your determination and effort can turn this situation around.

Sources: Advice for summer and return offer rate?, What should I do the summer after freshman year?, The Do's and Don'ts for Summer Analyst, Not sure what to do this summer, Advice for summer Asset Management interns

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

the partner guaranteed me the position if I wanted it, and I told them that I did, so was not in a rush to sign something. Note that they have been my mentor for some time, so I have a lot of trust built up. The gardening leave timeline was only decided upon relatively recently. It was a summer analyst position.

Can't bank on it until it's in writing unfortunately. You're not fucked, there's always the option of a Master's/him returning post graduation. You've got a lot of experience and it isn't too late to really push to find a speculative summer internship this year.

Modi nihil rem qui cupiditate et dolor provident. Sunt corporis ut soluta aut qui iure. Aliquid explicabo fugiat voluptatem saepe repudiandae blanditiis. Quam ea neque suscipit aut harum quo natus.

Veniam non vitae qui est. Dolores temporibus qui vero quas voluptatem dolorem facere. Explicabo facilis qui blanditiis inventore et minima. Nihil mollitia pariatur atque sequi qui rerum. Et ut esse itaque vel ipsa.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”