Investment Banking in Chicago 2022

While it's not NYC, does anyone think working in IB in Chicago could be a good move? Believe pay would be around the same, but cost of living would be significantly cheaper (estimating around 25% to 35% discount to new york). 
To those in Chicago, what's it like living and working out there? Which banks are strong in the area?

Most Helpful

NYC is always going to be everyone's go-to city for finance but Chicago is an awesome city. A lot of finance jobs in Chicago, housing is cheap with tons of new buildings that have great amenities at half the price of NYC. Lots of bars, sports, food etc. Chicago is also cleaner and people generally speaking seem to be a bit more laidback. Yes, the weather sucks in the winter but same with NYC. Yes, crime is bad but learn to avoid certain areas and it should be fine. 

Echo what the above says. Chicago not perfect, obviously, but people underestimate how fun it can be from May-October, with all the good bars, fun restaurants and abundance of young people in the city when the weather is good (well, good enough). Great looking city, clean, and like above poster said, got some great new buildings where you can get studio for 2100-2700 and one bedrooms for 2800-3500.

Got some BB presence with JPM, GS, BOA , Citi and Barclays, and EB/MM with Evercore, Moelis, PWP, Gugg, Lazard, Greenhill, Blair, Baird, HL, HW, Lincoln.

As someone grew up in coasts, working in Chicago, my take is:

It’s a lot more affordable, people are nicer, and might be one man’s opinion, but on average, girls are better looking.

However, it lacks diversity (in terms of culture), limited dining options (too much steakhouse), 80% of conversation is about Cubs and college footballs. Also, city is not in the best shape with rising crime rate and Citadel moving out will only worsen the situation from where we are.

Worth trying. If you vibe, it’s a good city but I’m personally in favor of New York.

If you’re not from the coasts, it’ll likely feel like the most major metro area you’ve been to, if you are, it might feel slightly constrained/limiting.

I’m from a university town in the Midwest, lived in Chicago, then NYC, then back to chicago.

If you can handle the pace and chaos of NYC, I highly recommend you pursue opportunities there, that tattoo on your resume will always carry weight and caché. If you can embrace it, then that’s where you belong. If not, chicago will almost always take a banker (provided a need) from NYC, speak from experience.

Nightlife and food in chicago will never compare to NYC no matter how hard it tries, but we do alright….

I have no idea what people are talking about with these stories of studios for $2-$2.7 and 1 BRs being $3-3.5k. Sure, such places exist, but you are going way out of your way to waste money if you decide to live in those. Those are easily nearly the peaks of those respective markets. 

A quick look on Zillow shows that prices and inventory level off quickly for 1BRs around $2500, by $3k you’re seeing almost everything except most ultra high end units. To get meaningful results above $3k, you have to start looking at 2-3BR. 

Dolorum tempora modi sapiente doloribus velit qui laborum. Aliquam quaerat dolor dolor laboriosam vitae. Aliquid libero voluptatem in. Aut atque et numquam exercitationem ducimus eos adipisci sed.

Temporibus quasi provident odio nihil voluptatem officiis omnis. Ut perferendis incidunt quae sed. Vel asperiores pariatur facere repudiandae sed. Placeat quo pariatur dolor eligendi neque. Dignissimos esse tempora unde ab tenetur dolores necessitatibus. Iste molestias totam et sit est. Consequatur repellat perferendis iusto ipsum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”