Spring break 2022: Networking interns with banks in Britain?

I'm a 22 year old American WASP, second year university student.

I got a dumb question for the Brits. I was looking into Oxbridge. Like Hogwarts! This magical place is shrouded in mystery.  I honestly and truly don't know how do future employers pick up fresh newly minted summer interns off the street who have little or no experience on their CV?  How the heck are they recruited in the first place?

Networking of course but I haven't found a clear cut guide on that ((yet)). I'm guessing talking with UK finance professors in business school is crucial as is attending virtual events, conferences,  joining student clubs, socializing with others etc. I suck at networking because I'm such an introvert. I know... I've got to become magical or something.

I was curious.  I've tried connecting on social media with young people (like myself)  in student finance clubs in some top-tier universities in the UK but it seems to be a bit of mysterious how recruiters select their chosen apprentices out of the wood pile for IB in London. 

I'm interested in STEM, tech, innovation, climate change, green technology, finance, marketing, etc. Studying at a non-target / semi-target university, my GPA is high, I work hard and play hard but I'm in the process of transferring.

I know there are some tiny cultural differences between the UK and the US in terms of the whole recruitment and interview process. I've heard of something in Britain called spring week.

What is that?

For Americans, what the heck is spring week? The term of phrase itself is confusing.

I know what you're thinking. Spring week, you mean spring break? Hooray!! No, no it's not that kind of an American spring break you're dreaming of. Sandy beaches, drinks and sunshine. In Britain it means something else...

They have something called "spring week" wherein some 1st or 2nd year undergrad students get a tiny glimpse of their future work environment in the world of finance and talk to bankers, you might even get to meet with hedge fund managers, etc but  can anyone share what their experience was with that?

How did you get picked?

It is obvious if your Daddy worked in banking, you got a chance of getting in but as for the rest of us vagabonds, misfits and street urchins...

How were you chosen?

How does it work in Britain?

What was your networking experience like in the UK university system? 

What types of social events did you attend?

What was your environment like visiting bankers in the City of London? 

What kind of food did you eat during your lunch break and how long was it?

signed,

a confused WASP from the other side of the pond...

Yeah networking doesn’t do shit here - referrals/cv pushing is rare and inconsistent; you apply online and complete numerical and verbal tests. Doesn’t matter what school you go to if you can’t pass this stage, seems banks aren’t actively trying to highlight that they recruit from a wider range of universities now. Springs are generally week long interviews to fast track you to a summer internship. 

Where do Brits find spring week offers?

Yeah networking doesn't do shit here - referrals/cv pushing is rare and inconsistent; you apply online and complete numerical and verbal tests. Doesn't matter what school you go to if you can't pass this stage, seems banks aren't actively trying to highlight that they recruit from a wider range of universities now. Springs are generally week long interviews to fast track you to a summer internship

Banks advertise them both on campus and online. But the application process is purely online, no OCR

Nonetheless, if you’re not from a target (Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL, Warwick) or a few semi targets depending on the bank, getting in is pretty tough assuming non diversity.

Also not sure if you’re considering the MSc route but Imperial has a very strong climate finance MSc that you might want to consider. Bocconi and Oxford also both have more general sustainability innovation type MScs too.

Est perferendis velit dicta nulla qui distinctio. Consequatur animi qui autem reprehenderit molestias quo. Impedit rem mollitia autem perspiciatis.

Est cum adipisci eum nemo sed dolor. Et dolorem aut pariatur voluptates aspernatur. Sed ut sapiente qui impedit nam ea voluptatum. Cum sunt hic ipsam repellendus veniam quos id.

Ipsa nulla perferendis et dolorum autem ipsa. Minus ea id vero asperiores rem tenetur nisi exercitationem. Ullam dicta tempora ea eius eos.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”