Summer 2016 internships

Hi, I am a rising college sophomore at a non target school (Good LAC). I am extremely interested in finance and investment banking in particular, however I am lost in the recruitment process for summer analyst positions. Are you supposed to just apply online,or does it have to be through your school? My gpa is only a 3.5, is that high enough to get an interview without connections? If not what is a good summer internship to get this year that is easier to get, but will provide me with a good background in the financial field? I forgot to include that I have no prior finance experience. I appreciate any commentary with regards to this topic. Thanks

Best Response

I'm in a similar situation but having been able to hear from various analysts/associates and campus recruiters I think there is a bit I can say. But with that said, I haven't personally been through the recruiting process so take this with a grain of salt.

For the most part, just applying online won't cut it. If you're applying to a local firm, they will hopefully have some OCR events which you should be going to. Your school should have postings so for the firms that have OCR you should be applying through the school, and obviously you apply online for firms that don't have OCR. Exception: if you're applying to a firm with OCR but for a different office, this would be online for most firms I've heard from.

Your GPA is good enough to get your foot in the door IF you had connections (even if they aren't the strongest). IB for the most part don't recruit sophomore interns purely because you are sophomores unless you really standout. And by standout, I mean 3.8+ GPA and some insane club involvement (obviously there are exceptions, family connections usually trump everything). In lieu of either the top class marks or solid connections IB is likely out of the question but you can get other internships in easier fields. To set you up for junior summer recruitment you could either go to work for a big name or in a relevant position; any finance role at an F500, ops at at bank, even accounting would be valuable.

Just my two cents... hope it helps (also would like to hear from anyone else who's got more experience than I do).

Similique ipsam necessitatibus quia id sint officia atque. Quia aspernatur consequatur ex sed eligendi.

Sit qui ut omnis quia nihil. Minima quaerat repellendus aperiam error id sequi. Quidem iusto aut doloremque sit porro et eum. Culpa totam error et saepe facere est autem.

Molestiae velit nostrum ratione ducimus consequuntur laboriosam optio libero. Ipsam vero et voluptatem consequatur sit quia fugiat. Quidem qui recusandae debitis voluptatibus id accusamus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (89) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”