Thought I wanted a 2024 WM SA role, but realize now I don't - Advice

I recently finished my sophomore year from a good but non-target state school. (For reference I have an internship for this summer of 2023 as a real estate PE SA at a small firm.) I had internally transferred into the undergrad business school at the end of my first semester sophomore year. I convinced myself that I wanted to go the wealth management route because I had not taken and finance classes and was scared of IB recruitment and the intense recruitment process of many other "High Finance" roles. I didn't know how to prep for technicals that I had yet to learn in class, so I opted to play it safe and recruit for wealth management. I put a lot of time into networking throughout the year, but essentially should've been more diligent in my work. As the semester was moving along and I hadn't gotten very far in the interview process anywhere I began to realize (while in finance classes) that I both really enjoy finance and that I was good at it. As this happened, I realized I had to expand my horizons and apply to more high finance roles such as S&T and IB. Unfortunately, I was very late to the game and had little to no networking done at these roles. Since then I began applying and reaching out, but it has been difficult. Then, in the last several weeks I was given a superday and then an offer at a BB for a wealth analyst role in NYC. This was very exciting and relieving, and raised my confidence, but I looked more into the role and it looks like there will be little to no interaction with investment strategy or analysis. The job is essentially a supporting role for FA's, or in other words a junior client associate. It seems to be entirely sales based and I won't learn any technical skills that would roll over to a job in high finance. 

Since getting the offer I have continued grinding, by networking, sending out applications to any more technical finance role I can find at larger firms/banks, and prepping as if I have IB interviews coming up. I know that I am too late for a lot of 2024 SA roles, but I know I can work hard and get a better offer than the WM position. I need advice for how to continue my recruitment. I'm not entirely sure where I want to work or what I want to do. Should I prep IB throughout this summer and focus in on IB, or should I focus on something else? I enjoy my work this summer working in RE PE and I'm getting good experience underwriting and modeling so should I apply to more RE positions? Or do I just accept the wealth management offer even though it doesn't interest me that much anymore and it's unlikely to help further a career outside of WM. 

I'm looking for some guidance because right now because I'm all over the place. I know I have the discipline to work my ass off, but I want to ensure that I focus this energy in the correct places so I can be as efficient as possible. I also had the thought process that since I don't know what I want to do, should I plan for IB because of the potential exits? And if this is a smart plan, what should be my target for SA 2024 positions at this point in time?

Please share any advice you may have, I know this post is a bit of a mess, but any input is useful. 

Ipsam omnis veritatis est vitae esse officia. A consequuntur deserunt sapiente et asperiores. Nesciunt totam doloribus est voluptatem et vel alias. Reiciendis assumenda esse nulla in.

Consequatur voluptates voluptas aperiam qui. Dolore mollitia eveniet itaque rerum porro dolorem. Saepe quidem assumenda sed. Facilis illum quidem eligendi et facere. Quis non alias voluptatem nihil facilis provident voluptatibus. Est placeat sit consequatur rerum sit ut. Eum nisi eum ut architecto numquam accusantium.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”