$300 WFH Technology Budget - Essentials

Hi all,

I'm recently changing jobs and the new company is offering a $300 budget to buy tech things to make WFH a bit easier (I'll be in the office 2-3 days a week, so they'll only be sending me a laptop). I don't want to be one of those people that expenses right up to the limit and aimed to spend maximum $250 (I know, I'd be leaving money on the table but want to set a good initial impression). I also don't want many different things; I'm happy to use the laptop keyboard and already have a nice wireless mouse. I think the main items I'm looking for are a good monitor and potentially wireless headphones (currently using aux plug-in wired ones which work just fine, but it is nice to roam around the apartment when on those long listen-only calls). I also already have an office chair. 

Any suggestions for good monitors (ideally high-adjustable) for maximum $150 and wireless for maximum $100? Also, are curved monitors any better or just a marketing stunt with no real benefit?

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't settle for the laptop keyboard - get a decent wireless one. The difference in typing, using excel, etc. is really worth it (IMO) and I'm not even really an excel jockey anymore. 

Curved monitors... I've heard from people who use them it helps reduce eye strain, not sure how true that ends up being but anything that helps is worth it. I use a standard, 32inch VIZIO tv which works fine - I actually quite like the larger format, all on one monitor when I'm at home. 

Curved monitor doesn't help but it sure does make you more immerse to what you are doing. If you aren't ultrawide then curved is just a branding thing to get you to buy. Other than that. 

- Chair

- Those gaming keyboards

- Monitor

Changed my life.

Magnam facere quo vel est porro rerum. Unde et atque ea est aut dolorum iste. Ipsa quia et ut sint in rerum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”