8/5/16 - WSO Weekly Wrap Up

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

From Depression to Community College to Target School & Beyond
Post By @Nick Naylor"

This past spring I graduated from my local community college and was accepted into 2 out of 3 schools I applied to. After receiving an endless amount of useful advice and information from this community, I thought it would be a good time to formally introduce myself and hopefully share any information that could help any young students and monkeys.

Prestigious Party Schools
Post By @Nick Naylor"

Business Insider did an article about the schools which rank the highest on their "work hard, play hard"-o-meter. I see my school up there, but some of these rankings seem a little odd. Why is Cornell at #8 and MIT at #2?

Stimulants 101: How to wake yourself up and get shit done (without destroying your long-term health)
Post By @Alistair-Clark"

I am going to dig into the topic of stimulants. Here is why the "common sense" approach to stimulants is wrong (and downright dangerous), and I will give you a better and healthier alternative for waking yourself up when you need to get shit done at work.

What Perks Do You Guys Get in your IBD Jobs?
Post By @tempurask"

My friend told me that at Houlihan Lokey, they received an Unlimited Metro Card for mornings. Lunch, dinner and phone bills were paid for. There was also a gym subsidy and cabs to send them home at night.

Open offices vs. cubicles - Which one do you prefer?
Post By @fine-nance"

What do you guys think? Are you for open offices or are you for cubicles? To me, an open office lacks privacy. It is also loud and distracting!

Structuring and Flow in an M&A Model
Post By @TorontoMonkey1328"

Most of you probably already know this, but sometimes it does not hurt to say it again out loud, especially since I have seen a few confusingly (and unnecessarily) circular models lately. Your information should flow in one direction.

Advice to Fellow Non-Targets / Low GPAs: Use Linkedin
Post By @JuicyJuice"

Many people fear that MDs or higher ups will not respond to you. However, remember this: if you are able to share a very convincing story on how Investment Banking interests you, the chances of a response are very high. Here are some emailing tips that I used that worked for me.

It's Time For A Maximum Voting Age
Post By @Eddie Braverman"

Donald Trump is 70 and Hillary Clinton will be 69 on election day. Is anyone else as concerned as I am that very soon, elderly people are going to be running the most technologically advanced society in human history? Should there be an age limit for presidential candidates and, if so, what should it be? How should the maximum voting age be determined?

Why/how did you end up in the type of real estate you're in?
Post By @RawClaw"

Why or how did you end up in the kind of real estate that you're in? Is there something in particular that drew you to it, or did you just kind of end up there? Or, if you are involved with multiple kinds of real estate, do you have a favorite?

Facebook introduced 'Instagram Stories' to compete with Snapchat
Post By @fine-nance"

Any thoughts, monkeys? How much longer do you think Zuckerberg is going to reign?

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”