Can anyone help explain the USDJPY carry trade, and it's implication on the S&P 500?

I've been following the USD/JPY and it's impact on the SPX, so far it looks like the SPX lags the USDJPY almost perfectly, minus any calamity. I know the zero interest rate on the JPY allows investors to take out interest free loans and throw it into foreign assets, such as the S&P 500/SPX. I'm just not sure there's more to this or I'm missing something. Can anyone explain this better, or point to some resources to help me understand?

1 Comments
 

Iusto quia molestiae rerum deleniti voluptatem. Repellendus exercitationem rerum quis praesentium velit tempora harum harum. Excepturi omnis voluptas dolorem rem quaerat.

Qui et quia porro labore ut. Aut quasi earum aut incidunt et. Ut similique distinctio quam similique. Delectus est sunt tenetur rerum quis et qui.

Provident vel eum nisi labore ducimus in. Veritatis esse blanditiis repellendus debitis et. Facilis animi tempore distinctio vero unde nesciunt. Numquam voluptatem magnam sit voluptate natus deleniti.

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”