Facebook - Up To 100m Fake Accounts?

There was a post a couple of days ago which highlighted a report that a lot of the advertising clicks on Facebook were being done by bots. This is followed up with a story that more than 83m of the 955m user accounts (thats 8.7%) could be (read - ARE) fake. The only reason Facebook is worth $10bn let alone the $45bn it is currently is due to the insanely large user base and the possibility of monetising these users through ad revenues.

For those of you bullish on Facebook (if you even exist...), do these 2 stories less than a week apart give you reason to reconsider your position?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-19093078

Best Response

haha, great find. Especially with this coming on the heels of that story about bots clicking on advertisements. Everything about Facebook is expectations. People are hoping that they can monetize their user base. They are hoping that Facebook can maintain their growth rates and profitability. They are hoping that Zuckerberg will magically and suddenly give a shit about investors, shareholders etc. He negotiated the deal of a lifetime for his early investors and now he is back to being in total control of Facebook, exactly how he wanted it.

They are looking towards mobile and that seems to be where the 'hope' for growth is. Maybe they can use instagram to do something there, but considering he hasn't addressed it since they bought them that looks to be a push at best. I doubt the rumored phone will help either. People pulled back the curtain on Facebook and aren't liking what they are seeing.

Neighbor:
I believe it, I find it extremely hard to believe that 1/6 of the world regularly logs on and checks facebook

When they claim 955m "active users" I believe their definition is someone who logs onto Facebook once a month or more. That includes someone who gets a link from a friend to a picture or video on Facebook, views it and then never logs on again. I personally would not class that as an active user. I would be very interested in seeing the number of people who log on every day, and then the number of people who actually post / upload / comment every day. Those numbers would be extremely interesting.

Bobb:
what else is there to do while taking a shit?

exactly. When I do use facebook, I am on my phone most of the time. If (when) substantial ads hit the app and mobile web version, people will push back heavily

i love how pretty everyone has been putting zucks on a pedestal for the past 5 years.

no doubt he's accomplished more than 99.9% of people his age but Facebook's a fucking social networking site. 20 years from now, no one's gonna give a shit about Facebook or Myspace the same way people will remember Bill Gates or Steve Jobs

Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but "fake accounts" implies that Facebook is basically creating, running, and maintaining these fake accounts in order to provide fluff to the user count and maybe click on some ads. Thats not really the case, especially since a lot of these are "duplicate" users, and I know about 2-3 people who have these duplicate users, particularly older users.

hoodinternet:
Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but "fake accounts" implies that Facebook is basically creating, running, and maintaining these fake accounts in order to provide fluff to the user count and maybe click on some ads. Thats not really the case, especially since a lot of these are "duplicate" users, and I know about 2-3 people who have these duplicate users, particularly older users.
I'm pretty sure it's just getting at the fact that regardless of who owns the fake accounts, they won't generate any profit due to the fact nobody uses them and/or they aren't real people.
bbc news:
Duplicate profiles made up 4.8% of the users, user-misclassified accounts amounted to 2.4%, and 1.5% of users were described as "undesirable".

SirBarney:
hoodinternet:
I'm pretty sure it's just getting at the fact that regardless of who owns the fake accounts, they won't generate any profit due to the fact nobody uses them and/or they aren't real people.
bbc news:
Duplicate profiles made up 4.8% of the users, user-misclassified accounts amounted to 2.4%, and 1.5% of users were described as "undesirable".
Sure, I understand that. I just think a lot of people here are taking this as some form of malice on facebook's part to pump up their user count. Any membership based website (WSO, Twitter, Reddit) is going to have some dud accounts that don't generate any revenue. I don't see what Facebook can really do here, other than reclassify what it means by "active" accounts. If they start deleting the duplicate profiles, there will be some outcry that FB is become some kind of fascist organization, hell bent on deleting "unworthy accounts". They are starting to transfer over businesses and such to pages already, so that 2.4% figure should shrink, and depending on what "undesireable" means (I'm assuming spammers) they could just delete those as well.

BTbanker:
This is a company that I have wanted to see fail since talks of an IPO started.

I agree. I don't 100% know why I don't like it, I just don't. I don't have a FB account anymore because I truly believe it facilitates negative aspects of life and cuts down on old-fashioned person - to - person interaction. As an earlier poster said, the more the company needs to monetize to appease shareholders and the Street in general, the less user friendly the site will be, and the fewer members it will have (that's gotta be a formula in some textbook somewhere, right?).

Anyway, I agree. It may be time to short Zuck.

BTbanker:
I think what I hate the most about Facebook is the lack of real innovation. Google completely changed the world with their search technology. Microsoft and Apple put computers in everybody's homes. Amazon pioneered online retailing. Facebook...makes it easy to post duckface photos? Is that really what we want top computer science grads working on right now? I don't know. It's pretty lame to me. I don't think Facebook is going anywhere, but they have one product that they haven't figured out how to really make money from yet. The barrier to entry is so immense that I don't think they will face competition any time soon, but I don't really put them in the same league as other top tech companies.

Thurnis Haley:
BTbanker:
I think what I hate the most about Facebook is the lack of real innovation. Google completely changed the world with their search technology. Microsoft and Apple put computers in everybody's homes. Amazon pioneered online retailing. Facebook...makes it easy to post duckface photos? Is that really what we want top computer science grads working on right now? I don't know. It's pretty lame to me. I don't think Facebook is going anywhere, but they have one product that they haven't figured out how to really make money from yet. The barrier to entry is so immense that I don't think they will face competition any time soon, but I don't really put them in the same league as other top tech companies.

On top of that, Facebook has gotten countless numbers of people fired for uploading stupid sh1t. People have died in car crashes from the Facebook addiction. Also, people have a false sense of friendship and probably feel the need to add anyone and everyone that wants to be "friends." The icing on top of the cake would be that we all got these ideas from a socially retarded guy with Asperger's and 0 friends.

Disclosure: I'm short FB.

Thurnis Haley:
BTbanker:

Could not agree more. I cannot wait for Facebook to become aggresive on ads and online props that they intend to sell for real cash.

Saw this in Forbes the other day as well:

Twitter Has Begun To Cut Off Instagram - Is Facebook Next?

One thing is for sure, in the Internet Age almost no site is truly invincible. At one point some people couldn't dream of a world without AOL, or where Yahoo! wasn't the top search engine, or MySpace wasn't the go-to social website. Things change and Facebook is being used less and less, at least among my friends.

I can only see so many pictures of people's kids, or the breast-feeding photos. The ads just make it that much worse.

Consequatur alias magni et. Et est enim magnam et sit necessitatibus beatae tempore. Aut quis sed similique non laborum animi aliquam. Voluptas non eos sed.

Repudiandae quis sapiente error pariatur sed. Id a beatae delectus est facere. A nisi tempore consectetur eos nulla culpa nobis. Non illum adipisci aut ut. Eveniet et rerum maxime cum laborum reprehenderit aut.

"Every man should lose a battle in his youth, so he does not lose a war when he is old"

Ut asperiores suscipit quis eaque eos aut. Temporibus et consequatur eveniet neque accusantium adipisci quod aut. Non repellat illo molestias debitis eum non laborum. Ratione a qui quam cum voluptatem.

Facere dolorem qui sed quaerat ut ex natus. Ut repellat eligendi eos sunt velit tempore qui enim. Ut non laudantium eum voluptatum vel. Aspernatur autem atque voluptate ea.

Quis error debitis sed dolores nihil ducimus. Ut blanditiis optio labore. Quae recusandae voluptatem earum maiores provident.

Accusamus enim odit nesciunt facere cupiditate repellat accusamus. Molestiae saepe repellendus voluptatem velit. Quia ut sit soluta et accusamus quis.

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." - IlliniProgrammer

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”