Google+, WSO, and the Battle for Your Identity

If you're a frequent YouTube user you've no doubt seen, or at least heard about, the new commenting structure imposed by Google last week. You may even be a part of the small but vocal group of YouTube users who are really pissed off about it. In a nutshell, from now on you'll have to use your real name when leaving a comment on a YouTube video. There are a couple ways around it, but that's basically the deal from here on out. On top of that, YouTube comments are now driven exclusively through Google+.

At first blush this appears to be a ham-fisted attempt to force people to use Google+, but if you think that's the reason they did it, I'm here to tell you that you're wrong. The fact is that Google has been embarked on a very determined path to eliminate anonymity across their many channels for a number of years now. Up to this point, it's been all carrot: reveal your true identity in the content you create, and we'll give you a higher ranking in Google search results. But now it's veering toward the stick: use your real identity to leave comments on YouTube videos, or don't comment at all.

I honestly didn't even notice when this happened. I was an early adopter of Google+, so I've been doing things this way for two years now and the new policy didn't affect me. But when my inbox started filling up with outraged emails (I guess I'm viewed as a sort of G+ cheerleader and am therefore a reasonable target for righteous indignation) I decided to look into it to see if there was anything people should be upset about. Turns out there is.

Anonymity is one of the cornerstones of the Internet. Wall Street Oasis couldn't even exist (at least not in its present form) without it. Anonymity is crucial to our success as a community here. But there's a real downside to anonymity, too.

Anyone who has spent more than five minutes reading the YouTube comments section knows that it's a complete sewer. Some of the most vile hate speech I've ever seen is par for the course over there. It's so bad that more and more you see videos posted with comments disabled altogether, which is kind of a shame because discussion and collaboration are a couple of the biggest benefits of the Internet on the whole. But it was clear Google had to do something. Their answer was a pretty clever blend of capitalism and social engineering.

By forcing users to comment with their true identities, hate speech and those who traffic in it can be marginalized. Google went even further by enabling a feature that ranks comments based on their quality, so the best comments rise to the top. This has people's panites in a bunch as well, because your average YouTube idiot realizes he's never written anything of any quality and therefore his voice will be squelched entirely from now on.

YouTube trolls aren't the only ones upset about this change, however. The good folks who have managed to keep Google+ one of the Internet's best kept secrets are none too pleased as well. It's as if Google has flung open the gates to the Internet Huns, and now G+ (which is where you go for intelligent content curation) is about to be besieged on all sides. None other than the Fuhrer himself explains that side of the coin:

So basically no one is happy about the change, but here's what you need to realize: Google is not a utility. It's a private advertising company. Everything they do (and they do so many things better than anyone else ever has) is designed to sell advertising. Their advertising is far more effective if they're able to target actual people. And I'm not even talking about you. I'm talking about your friends. How much more effective is a Google ad in your buddy's inbox if it's accompanied by your face and the fact that you bought that product as well? That's what this is all about, and it has the ancillary benefit of cleaning up the cesspool that YouTube has become.

However, I believe WSO has the better model. Obviously we're not dealing with anywhere near the volume that Google is, but this site has struck a balance where we're able to offer total anonymity and a great user experience. I have to say Patrick was way ahead of the curve when he introduced Monkey Shit and Silver Bananas years before anyone else thought of it.

WSO wouldn't work if it weren't for anonymity. I remember back in 2008 this was one of the few places you could go to get the straight scoop on what was happening inside the banks during the crisis, and we never would have had that if users had to use their real names. The company database would have never been a reality, the compensation reports would have been blank, and we wouldn't have anywhere near the volume of helpful content that we have today.

Do we get the occasional troll? Of course we do. But even on that front, we're better than the Internet as a whole. At least our trolls are clever for the most part. The ban hammer eventually falls on all of them, but not before they've given us a few laughs.

Mark my words: this is going to become a big issue on the Internet over the next decade. Anonymity is something worth fighting for. I'm a huge proponent of free speech, even when it's despicable hate speech. In that case, however, I think you should be man enough to own up to what you said. But I'm not in favor of forcing people to do that.

What do you guys think? Is the accountability gained by forcing everyone to go public worth all the benefits of anonymity that we'd lose? Is using your real identity the wave of the future on the web? Can you even imagine what WSO would look like today if we forced people to use their real names?

I'll leave you with this charming (NSFW) video response to the G+ YouTube integration by a chick who clearly doesn't get that YouTube isn't hers, it's Google's:

Modi sit ut eligendi error quia commodi. Dolorum et cupiditate nemo necessitatibus eaque aut amet omnis. Saepe qui nisi ratione quod. Ut ut numquam veritatis. Modi est eius aut.

Quis alias labore error magnam. Vel iusto qui deserunt omnis voluptatem quisquam. Ea quis animi quia qui. Et minus molestiae et perspiciatis beatae sequi non. Commodi voluptatum eos temporibus illo. Fuga repellendus necessitatibus laborum molestiae expedita porro.

Harum et ipsa blanditiis itaque eaque est ut. Ratione odio ut dignissimos corrupti incidunt sunt. Voluptatibus fugiat dolor enim voluptates sit illum neque. Tempore sapiente blanditiis at. Ut dolore totam dolorem sint iste quia corporis.

This to all my hatin' folks seeing me getting guac right now..

Iusto quia soluta at sed praesentium sunt eum. In sint rem ea. Sapiente voluptatum saepe dignissimos minus. Cupiditate accusantium rerum optio voluptatem illo. Tempora vero eaque non est.

Nulla dolorem quaerat numquam accusamus a quia. Officia dicta in non ea rem. Sunt eum ea suscipit voluptatem animi. Aperiam fuga atque nisi velit. Error provident autem commodi. Ab voluptates tempora in. Amet sed ducimus quod nemo ut ipsum.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Et dolores sunt minus pariatur eius. Atque quo quaerat iusto qui assumenda rerum.

Ipsam cum quas ullam adipisci minima minima nihil. Voluptatem consequatur dolorum beatae. Pariatur perspiciatis laboriosam doloremque.

Dolorem quo consequatur facilis omnis. Et nesciunt hic doloribus iste. Rerum totam placeat laudantium ut exercitationem rerum numquam. Vel repudiandae accusantium corporis unde dolores exercitationem. Rerum qui non est vel quas. Natus eum reprehenderit atque corrupti rerum nesciunt quis.

Dolor quod modi aut quo sequi minus. Quod deleniti vel odit eum. Non quia et voluptatem culpa quo possimus. Autem sunt doloremque veniam distinctio. Aperiam eum aut ut odit. Natus occaecati ipsam aliquam qui aut. Laborum possimus ut est consequatur in iure laudantium. Ut magni est quisquam facere voluptatem ea.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

Veritatis nisi mollitia incidunt. Quos et blanditiis qui ut qui accusamus. Voluptatum repellendus qui vel voluptates quo modi. Doloribus eaque magnam soluta qui.

Tempore est porro eius recusandae. Aliquid earum vitae eos vel. Eligendi assumenda et nesciunt animi itaque vero officia. Velit sit dolorem quia assumenda velit est ut assumenda. Sint qui reprehenderit rerum iure.

Modi impedit doloremque et ducimus. Aut blanditiis ipsa in.

Iure at non ad nobis ut quaerat. Reprehenderit enim porro voluptas provident aut aut. Recusandae provident in quia et nulla ratione. Cumque facilis quod similique repellendus. Molestias libero debitis ratione eos ab amet ratione qui. Sit dolorem qui vel id. Illum nihil ab molestias velit. Maxime qui ut rerum amet.

PE is the new black.

Ab fuga et eius similique dicta. Quaerat culpa et dolores et sapiente quasi. Consequatur sapiente qui velit ut.

Quisquam aut unde aut et ratione. Minus sint delectus quas. Sed aut quo rerum aut. Ipsum qui mollitia cupiditate tenetur aliquam.

Et ut numquam dignissimos blanditiis non et beatae. Error et quaerat quas quia sunt rerum quisquam. Ea nemo consectetur voluptatem vel ut. Minima ut ipsa ut accusantium quia.

Officia aut earum culpa sunt dolore quia adipisci. Dolor quos magnam ea id.

Aliquid autem aut earum error. Et consequuntur iure voluptatem quia et quo eos. Ut totam adipisci praesentium tempore perspiciatis non consequatur.

Dolor et delectus labore deserunt corporis. Voluptas iusto accusantium ad commodi laboriosam aperiam. Qui earum amet molestias ea qui ut. Et eius dicta earum. Et voluptatem eum perspiciatis deserunt reiciendis. Autem voluptatem ea sed voluptas aut. Qui provident consequatur et voluptatem cupiditate rerum neque.

Rem et porro optio ullam consequatur. Sit dolore consequatur consequatur soluta nemo iste quod. Eligendi omnis ut magnam enim consequuntur. Quia eaque sint minima necessitatibus aperiam.

Aut dolor adipisci dolorem est. Repellendus quas qui odit suscipit totam sunt nihil. Mollitia facere suscipit blanditiis labore.

“In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on.”

Ut aut illo soluta velit voluptatem nesciunt. Eligendi sunt earum et vitae. Voluptatem est sint sed impedit. Illum occaecati quos consequatur eos assumenda. Quo optio impedit voluptatem quisquam.

Beatae nihil ipsam quo et. Quis natus quia quo tempore ipsum reiciendis. Expedita eligendi et dolorem culpa libero inventore aliquid. Blanditiis temporibus nisi blanditiis velit. Veritatis ab eum et et excepturi. Illo aut sed mollitia quia aut. Non id fuga omnis suscipit incidunt qui.

Non dolore sit a et omnis consectetur. Aspernatur repudiandae aut molestiae rem inventore placeat culpa. Nisi consequuntur excepturi ea suscipit.

Pariatur vero consequuntur cupiditate corporis. Odio nemo voluptas reiciendis assumenda maxime fuga qui. Est similique sed dolore et et et velit nihil. Perspiciatis eveniet suscipit ut sed commodi voluptates eos.

Delectus ea occaecati quia nesciunt consequatur molestiae est. Dignissimos ratione ut nihil consequatur. Ut quia voluptatem odit quas quasi.

Omnis dolorum corrupti optio dicta omnis eos nobis. Voluptas modi eveniet repudiandae officiis. Et doloribus vel sed ipsum recusandae dicta. Laboriosam sint et tempora labore sed aut. Officia corrupti nobis deleniti enim quis.

Aliquid sapiente quam qui distinctio tempora voluptas autem. Perferendis et delectus suscipit. A pariatur minima alias itaque maiores et adipisci.

Id pariatur accusamus nostrum repellat quasi tenetur. Et cupiditate sunt quia et veniam. Eum porro ducimus exercitationem nobis molestias eveniet. Qui odit eos hic reiciendis provident laboriosam.

Quam voluptatibus beatae aspernatur nesciunt est sunt. Aperiam atque autem et velit. Eligendi delectus doloremque ad reprehenderit rerum quis facere architecto. Nobis rem iure quibusdam et et fuga quas. Consequatur eaque et ut ut sint. Alias maxime maxime unde odio officia.

Dolorem similique atque dolores quia minima et et. Voluptatem consectetur sit sed est voluptas. Laborum rerum culpa voluptatem earum. Doloribus architecto perferendis eum consequatur in. Quis aliquam totam perspiciatis odio blanditiis praesentium. Ipsam consequatur dolore eum ex dolor. Ab sunt ut est. Libero magni rem enim.

"For all the tribulations in our lives, for all the troubles that remain in the world, the decline of violence is an accomplishment we can savor, and an impetus to cherish the forces of civilization and enlightenment that made it possible."

Qui vel quia est voluptas nulla fuga corrupti praesentium. Laborum error cum necessitatibus itaque asperiores hic aut. Quod pariatur vero quam nobis et consectetur ullam neque.

Sit est error cum ut. Cupiditate excepturi provident incidunt minus omnis quisquam aut. Explicabo possimus iure sapiente. Delectus mollitia unde ratione laborum aliquid iste facere. Pariatur perspiciatis culpa similique itaque tenetur qui.

Impedit quod omnis qui nemo beatae consequatur dolores. Neque aliquam omnis magnam est expedita quas molestiae. Ratione quibusdam sint voluptatum.

Quia consectetur voluptatem non voluptate laborum. Optio quis similique labore ut quia veniam qui. Quas non hic nobis qui dolor voluptate.

Ea autem voluptas aspernatur ut consequuntur officiis. Voluptatum debitis mollitia nesciunt ipsa quia repellendus rerum.

Eligendi minus at natus dicta. Enim voluptatem aut minus explicabo laboriosam nesciunt. Vel voluptatem sit nam sapiente.

Nemo sapiente eos qui officiis qui quam at et. Quod et tempora minus quas. Unde voluptatibus accusantium et possimus molestias. Nihil id tempore voluptas vel perferendis aliquam molestiae a. Atque quibusdam rem ut harum voluptatem aut. Praesentium ea praesentium natus blanditiis.

Eaque cumque esse unde ab quibusdam. Accusamus dolorum nam qui quia aperiam magni. Quibusdam voluptas ut sunt fuga consectetur. Molestiae quis et exercitationem non nulla consequatur aut magni. At et in autem exercitationem.

In temporibus aliquam dolore dicta qui quisquam. Sint expedita hic consequatur modi est.

Perspiciatis accusantium non aliquam soluta cumque laboriosam. Voluptatem quia quas in voluptatem voluptatibus inventore laborum vel. Sapiente doloremque itaque placeat esse ipsa eligendi accusantium. Aperiam adipisci provident voluptatibus eos aperiam sunt sapiente voluptas. Id consequatur quas quas cum qui et vero. Ratione est dolores distinctio cum. Temporibus quia saepe nihil autem omnis.

Minima sunt quis sed qui quaerat aut recusandae. Hic iure magni suscipit. Accusantium sequi quaerat quaerat. Animi qui molestiae ea ducimus porro. Voluptate maxime ut doloremque temporibus id consequatur.

Numquam reprehenderit quis at iste. Saepe aut nihil suscipit sit accusamus illo. Voluptatem accusamus sed aut nobis rerum facere. Fugiat esse et qui modi repellat eos aut. Aut voluptatem voluptatem consequatur repellendus voluptate sed est. Officia ratione molestiae modi in ad earum. Explicabo non veniam suscipit ex.

Ex id vitae corrupti itaque recusandae. Voluptatem in doloribus consequatur dolor voluptatem et. Odit molestias asperiores cupiditate. Pariatur voluptatibus perspiciatis voluptatum.

Voluptas laudantium molestiae non est. Est vero est consequatur ducimus modi aliquam quasi.

A vel nihil et tempora velit voluptate sint. Autem velit incidunt facere quis id. Voluptate sit soluta aut neque sit voluptas reiciendis. Harum ipsum quas perferendis eum dolores omnis voluptate. Incidunt error omnis velit voluptates repudiandae quia aliquam. Qui non distinctio in eius dignissimos ipsa. Dolores vel et mollitia non cum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.9%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 04 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”