HMRC data shows 1,000 under-30s in the UK now earn £1m+

I’ve seen reporting based on HMRC data suggesting around 1,000 UK taxpayers under 30 are earning more than £1 million a year, with sectors mentioned including sports, entertainment, the creator economy, tech, and finance. The main thing I’m trying to understand is: is this group mostly made up of celebrities, influencers and professional athletes, or is there also a significant number of entrepreneurs (e.g. tech founders, business owners, finance professionals)?

If anyone has estimates, industry insight, or even well-informed guesses on how that 1,000 breaks down, I’d be really interested. Is the narrative mostly fame-driven wealth, or are traditional/entrepreneurial routes just as big (or bigger)?

link:https://www.theguardian.com/money/2026/feb/14/record-1000-uk-taxpayers-…

3 Comments
 

I'm not shocked, I'm close friends with a guy in his early 20s pulling $60k/mo in his online business he started in college and went through a paid course for.

There's an insane amount of opportunity to make money with a low entry point. Most people are just extremely risk-averse and prefer the cookie-cutter path of a corporate job, but the truth is if you dump money, time and energy into a venture it can be extremely lucrative.

 

Bonnie blue is pulling in 1-2M a month, let alone a year.  I wonder if she's the top 30 in the whole country in pure taxable earnings

 

Rem est totam ut illum debitis reprehenderit aut. Molestias eos earum aperiam aliquam dolore.

Iste delectus quod quia veritatis. Atque sit ad quis ipsam aut accusantium iusto. Enim sit magnam explicabo et. Similique ab aut doloribus non at sit qui error.

Placeat nisi eius expedita aut aut et ratione. Dolore vero quasi commodi nemo sapiente voluptas et. Repellat quia expedita illo assumenda perferendis.

Hic labore cum sint quod natus iste nihil. Neque sed corporis consequuntur enim qui nihil.

Array

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”