I have $40,000 in my checking account. What's the safest/smartest way to increase it in a year?

Hello, I have little to no knowledge of personal finance. All I know is it's better to invest it than just leave it there.

The question is where?

A quick google searches says ETFs like VOO or VTI are my best bet.

Just looking for ideas/advice. Thanks.

[Comment removed by mod team]

Give me your 40k and at the end of the year I'll give you back $80k. Sound like a good deal?

"The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than cowardly" - Robert A. Wilson | "If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion

SPY or VTI are the best long term if you are looking for something safe to dump money in and forget about it for 40 years

WSO will tell you to do crypto, day trading, meme stocks etc but unless you are super into that stuff and can handle losing a large amount of your money, don't do it

Array

Someone about to say TQQQ in 3 … 2 … 1 …

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Most Helpful

been a while since I wrote about what you should do with your money. since I'm licensed by finra, you won't find any security recommendations herein

1. separate out your money into short, medium, and long term as follows, matching the amount of risk you take with what time period you'll use it for
    1. short term is daily checking + emergency funds. this should be kept liquid as in FDIC insured and not fluctuating in value. emergency funds will depend on your station in life, but most rules of thumb are at least 3mos expenses (if you're single with no kids) to 12mos (if you're the sole breadwinner, it'd be difficult to find a job if you lost it, etc.)
    2. medium term are things that will come at some point before retirement but aren't very far off. if it has a known timeframe (e.g. I'm saving for a trip to Curitiba for NYE 2024), then I'd keep it more liquid like a short term goal, but if it's sometime in the indeterminate future (like a down payment on a house within 10y), you can take more risk. what I do personally is if it's a nice to have purchase but not a need to have, I'll take some risk with it (meaning stocks), but if it's something like my wife's 4 weeks pregnant, gonna have to write a large check in 9 months, I keep the risk like it's part of my emergency fund
    3. long term is like retirement, bootstrapping future businesses, or just growing your net worth. put it at risk, and abide by the below principles
  2. once you've determined how much of the $40k is available for long term investment, take advantage of all tax-advantaged savings vehicles. I personally max out my 401k, backdoor and megabackdoor Roth IRAs (look them up), and that should eat up a large chunk of the $40k, but if it doesn't, then just open up a brokerage account
  3. your investment strategy. I'd suggest reading some of the classics like the intelligent investor, some of the "little books," but the takeaway is this - equity investing has created more wealth than any other method. do your research, find what makes the most sense to you, and stick with it. for me personally, this is a combination of GARP and dividend growth (which could be two sides of the same coin). I also recommend diversifying either with at least 30 names across different sectors, or broad based ETFs/mutual funds. what ruins investors is not getting 11% a year instead of 15% like your buddy, it's taking hugely levered bets, being concentrated in a sector that gets shellacked, and other derivatives of being greedy

so in sum, I wouldn't focus on growing it within 12mo, I'd focus on your overall financial strategy and that will lead you to decide if those funds should be short, medium, or long term, and then you just invest and move on with your life 

Possimus tempora cum quisquam commodi maiores sit. Et iure ut dicta officiis accusantium. Omnis beatae perferendis deleniti cumque ut ut. Accusantium molestias maxime non officia ea aliquid. Quae quia praesentium dolorem nostrum officiis asperiores quia. Perspiciatis nam sed id incidunt. Nulla quia reprehenderit aliquam natus.

Blanditiis voluptate ea quae atque non qui et. Quaerat repellat incidunt tenetur. Tempore dolorem praesentium dolorum.

Exercitationem ipsa ipsum laborum ut. Placeat et voluptatum maiores dolores laudantium eum voluptas. Quae dolorem iste rerum et placeat et quos. Sed consequatur voluptas et in cupiditate magnam eos.

Ut qui excepturi voluptas repellat. Vitae eveniet aut nihil autem consequatur tenetur natus. Recusandae sit praesentium quos itaque ut incidunt. Dignissimos et ut vero perspiciatis ut ex. Dolorem et enim sequi sint modi. Natus libero occaecati debitis fugit provident ut consequatur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”