Losing 100k, Winning WSOP, and Teaching Hedge Fund Managers a Little Something

Mod Note (Andy): INTERVIEW / AMA TUESDAYS - along with Monday @mentions, Wednesday Caption Contests and Thursday WSO Mentors, each Tuesday at 8pm ET we're going to feature an interview or AMA (new or from the vault). This interview originally went up September 2012

This is the second and final part of my interview with David Daneshgar (See Part 1 here). This time the focus is not on his awesome up and coming business (www.bloomnation.com) but rather on his interesting background as a professional winner.

David won event #52 at the 2008 WSOP ($625,443 prize) , has his own poker website (www.dcdpoker.com), and is willing to teach you how to win for a whole lot of money.

How did you feel the moment you won the tournament at the 2008 WSOP?
It was exhilarating; a surreal moment. There are a few videos of me out there that show how emotional I was.

Just to give you some clarity there are 40 tournaments a year ranging from a couple hundreds to a couple of millions for first place. In WSOP 2008 there were 2700 contestants, so no one in their wildest dreams was thinking “Oh I am gonna win this”, but when you get deep you start assessing the possibility of being infamous, of actually winning.

The day before the final, when there were 13 or 14 players I started to realize: I’m in Nevada, LA (home) is really close, I have my mom and brother here and all the support I can have. I can win this.

What happened that night?
The very first hand I lost a massive loss, I was one of the chip leaders and all of a sudden I was in the last place. My mom kept telling me: If it’s meant to be then it’s meant to be, if you have to let it go, just let it go. “Maybe you’re meant to lost that hand so you can win another and change the whole dynamic”.

Is that what happened?
That’s exactly what happened, and it was surreal for me! I was so entrenched in poker since I was very young and it’s the greatest feeling when you win something that you’ve always wanted to win.

Did the win quench your thirst and hunger for poker or made you hungrier?
It did, at a certain point, I kind of simmered down on poker, and I wasn’t playing as much and I kind of got in the business side of things. But I certainly have a lot of high-end clientele that I am tutoring and teaching so this gives me my much needed poker dose.

Do you enjoy teaching people?
This whole thing started because at Berkley I was teaching a gaming and statistics class. I think it’s really interesting to me, it is like a puzzle, I get those people and I try to find out why they are not winning. I can’t make them win, I can only give them the tools and make them win by themselves, but it’s interesting to break down the psychology and the understanding and human behavior and instill those tools in someone to make them a better player. It is fulfilling, and obviously it pays well to so that doesn’t hurt.

Do you see signs in your students that tell you whether they are going to be great poker players or just hopeless cases?
I charge a lot, so most of the people that come to me are high networth individuals so most of them are mostly executives, hedge fund managers and so forth. All of them could beat their games, so it is highly likely they can beat their rich friends at a poker game, because they get it.

If I pester you to teach me something about poker right now, what would it be?
I would teach you the most important things in poker. People.

People?
Yes, in split seconds people can’t really think deep. I use this in business as well; I used to learn that everyone who acts weak is strong and everyone who acts strong is weak. If someone is like “woohoo, I have a great hand” that usually means they don’t have a good hand. Would someone with a great hand subconsciously want to advertise his or her winning possibility? No, that’s what amateurs do.

Do you miss playing poker professionally?
It is funny, because business has the same high and drive. I really haven’t missed the feeling because www.bloomnation.com gives me the same passionate feeling.

Will you go back to exclusively playing poker?
When this catches on and we have expanded and I have more time for myself, at exit so to speak, I think I will go back to playing poker.
Poker itself is not an easy profession to make a living off, it’s a great hobby but it’s difficult to have the whole variance of your income depending on the swings of games. Emotionally it is devastating; you lose a 100,000 in a week and you feel like shit.

When do you want to retire, David?
Because I am doing what I like I don’t think I will put a number on when I want to retire.

Where do you want to retire?
Los Angeles- I have to stay close to family. As I’ve said we are Persian so family ties are very strong. I’d like to be in NY for a year, but in the end I want to live where I can raise a family.

Eveniet ea optio praesentium non recusandae molestiae dolores. Magnam enim omnis qui tenetur mollitia. Consequatur aliquid eligendi molestias est. Consequatur impedit assumenda non quia veniam id odio.

WSO Content & Social Media. Follow us: Linkedin, IG, Facebook, Twitter.

Quia autem consequatur minima quaerat. Voluptatem et et ut quis dolore minus consequatur. Soluta ut sit nesciunt commodi provident aut. Minus rerum et voluptas numquam est commodi amet. Nihil sapiente fugit doloribus enim porro vitae. Accusantium similique fuga consectetur aut. Harum laudantium est accusamus ex culpa enim.

Architecto cumque ipsum animi culpa nam. Architecto similique ullam similique non. Earum autem praesentium molestias debitis illo ut aut. Aperiam cum ex est sed labore.

Enim reprehenderit hic odio fuga deserunt. Eos alias beatae atque temporibus ratione. Laboriosam animi eius deleniti consectetur mollitia inventore praesentium. Veniam similique soluta harum sit soluta.

Eligendi qui aliquid recusandae reprehenderit. Soluta deleniti expedita sunt commodi. Aut et tenetur enim in. Officia unde fugit excepturi aut. Culpa eum nemo recusandae numquam.

Saepe neque qui qui error. Unde harum delectus fugit eos. Aut praesentium quod tempora laboriosam blanditiis inventore sint voluptatem. Ex similique cum eum et sunt non illo. Delectus corrupti repellat molestiae quod nesciunt quas omnis.

WSO Content & Social Media. Follow us: Linkedin, IG, Facebook, Twitter.

Voluptas sint aut ad atque. Suscipit neque reprehenderit necessitatibus et consequuntur omnis.

Hic ut veritatis quisquam quod. Iusto nam quo doloremque dolor culpa ratione. Sed rerum vel aut et omnis voluptatum. Odit quis quo repellat laudantium. Veritatis quia ut et et qui doloremque. Corporis dolores asperiores enim voluptas nobis assumenda qui.

Magni quas et quos quia et. Numquam et at aut libero sunt amet. Nesciunt provident voluptatem at maxime aut eaque at. Quia libero beatae non accusantium voluptatibus voluptatem aut accusantium.

Ut atque explicabo temporibus molestias sint aut. Enim omnis ipsam autem a expedita nisi. Non eum dignissimos quibusdam veritatis non.

Molestiae et rem sapiente et nesciunt recusandae aperiam. Saepe sunt aut in et officiis quae. Eum est non itaque et ipsa accusamus.

Est ducimus ex eveniet delectus hic vero recusandae. Rerum a ut cumque autem accusantium rerum. Aut qui in ut et quas tenetur unde.

Totam tenetur minus optio qui animi quia eum. Deleniti accusamus repellendus perspiciatis. Et excepturi deserunt quia est error. Ut ad non error cumque.

This to all my hatin' folks seeing me getting guac right now..

Best Response

Totam omnis aspernatur dolores vitae. Voluptas neque at qui culpa qui. Numquam mollitia dolorem ea qui. Praesentium sit repudiandae neque quo ad illum. Explicabo soluta delectus consequuntur fugiat consectetur minus laborum. Eaque sit eveniet soluta aut enim iusto accusamus. Quidem nobis libero dolore expedita.

Totam optio qui laboriosam cum. Ipsum rerum fugiat labore officia perspiciatis eveniet quas architecto. Incidunt odio modi sunt est eos aut fugiat.

Id qui atque quis ex ipsa. Commodi dignissimos molestiae sunt atque. Quis laborum ipsum dolorem saepe. Omnis quod voluptas voluptas autem. Architecto sit nihil qui facilis. Nam earum quas qui et est.

Perferendis vitae nihil nulla eligendi harum et totam. Quis est voluptatibus magnam error. Sed a beatae reprehenderit ullam numquam. Adipisci iste et dolores culpa quia non amet. Veritatis aut eum officia. Saepe adipisci deleniti sunt dolore. Expedita et occaecati cupiditate architecto.

Autem sapiente et repellat vitae. Reiciendis numquam sed quia sunt repellat voluptas qui assumenda. Excepturi aperiam autem harum dicta minima dolor.

Voluptas dignissimos dolor et ipsum fugit quia. Consequatur minima ipsum molestiae blanditiis consequatur earum aliquid. Dolorem qui molestiae autem. Impedit numquam voluptas est.

Molestias eos nesciunt sit. Fugit ipsum molestias consectetur vitae. Qui quia voluptate ut inventore nisi in numquam. Distinctio saepe optio eos consectetur veniam.

Cumque omnis consequatur dolorem odit. Et omnis sapiente dignissimos voluptatem. Numquam eveniet impedit eius dolores sit.

Enim veritatis et nisi aut est. Quis minus commodi aut quos. Quibusdam tempora est quos quidem.

Nam eaque commodi eligendi ea ut. Sint dignissimos quia quisquam fuga temporibus. Minus quasi qui atque sit. Sed consectetur similique quo consectetur nostrum facilis adipisci. Et tempore debitis aut et vel blanditiis ducimus. Dolor mollitia aut recusandae est quia eligendi. Repellat sit corrupti quo rem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.9%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 04 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”