NFL Settles with Players for 765 million.

Most of you probably heard that the NFL settled with players yesterday over concussions in the game. The settlement? 765 million dollars. Or revenue from two teams this year. Or just over a million per team per year for the next 25 years or so.

A drop in the bucket for the NFL and probably a great financial move on their part.

What do you monkeys think of the settlement/the issue on the whole?

more info: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/30/sports/football/judge-announces-settl…

I think it's great for both parties. It helps the players that have been hurt. It doesn't do any financial damage to the NFL. And, most importantly, it gives the active and future players something to think about.

Honestly, it's the players responsibility to know what smashing their bodies into another 250-300 lb man repetitively for years is going to do in the long run. It's pretty obvious, it doesn't require a doctor to know it's bad for you, just some common sense. The NFL would have lost had they gone to court, so it's a good move for them.

"You stop being an asshole when it sucks to be you." -IlliniProgrammer "Your grammar made me wish I'd been aborted." -happypantsmcgee
Pinkpoloshorts:

The NFL got a great deal.

Damn right they did. The only problem is that this could have been dragged out for years and years and I think both sides (especially the PA) knew that these guys needed help now. Kinda sad that the NFL won't have to release any documents stating what they knew and when but it doesn't really matter, like D M said everyone has known all along that what they do is nuts.

This to all my hatin' folks seeing me getting guac right now..

Cruncharoo:
Pinkpoloshorts:

Damn right they did. The only problem is that this could have been dragged out for years and years and I think both sides (especially the PA) knew that these guys needed help now. Kinda sad that the NFL won't have to release any documents stating what they knew and when but it doesn't really matter, like D M said everyone has known all along that what they do is nuts.

Goodell the slave owner

Cruncharoo:
Pinkpoloshorts:

This reminds me of the cigarette lawsuits claiming that the tobacco companies knew long before it was public that smoking could cause cancer and other health risks. Well, there are people who have decried the health risks of smoking in the U.S. since the 18th century. Any jackass knows that breathing in smoke regularly is harmful to one's health. In the same way, any fool knows that concussions and violence in a violent sport can and will cause long-term physical damage. The idea of finding out when the NFL knew is simply absurd and smacks of lawyer talk from attorneys looking for a payday.

I get that the players voluntarily take the risk - hell, I would do the same for the potential reward - but I've always sided with the players on this. The league makes billions on these guys, so it's surprised me in the past when they haven't acknowledged some obligation, especially towards some of the real old school players from 70s and prior who are messed up and didn't make nearly as much money. I read the brain science and I know I should turn the channel and keep my sons away from the sport, but I'll be watching Saturday. No one said men had any sense.

This is total bullshit. As many said, EVERYONE knows you are intentionally doing this that can and will cause your body great harm. Whether the balance between what the league makes and what players make is unfair is totally irrelevant. No one forced them to play and if they have a problem with the pay, then strike over THAT issue. Having sympathy for injured players is fine. I do too. But the league isn't responsible at all. Even "underpaid" football players make tons of money and not having enough for retirement and injuries is another issue all together. In that case, it would be great if the league made an effort to educate players and recommend trustworthy money managers. However, even not doing that has nothing to do with the league taking any sort of culpability. It's a handout, plain and simple... Many of you would be so against welfare, but this is the same thing... Except going to rich people.

A lot of people are saying that the players knew what they were getting themselves into (i.e. it's a violent sport and they signed up for it). But it's not that simple. NFL players, especially back in the day were not allowed to make an informed decision.

They were not told that concussions could be a life altering/life threatening ordeal later on in their lives. Even worse, it's quite possible that the NFL knew this was the case and still did not properly inform their players of the complications.

Yeh, guys are making millions right now. And yeh, everyone signs up knowing that it's a dangerous sport. But that's wasn't the case 30,40,50 years ago when guys had a second job in the off season. Even 5-10 years ago no body took concussions seriously on any level of football.

Compare it to an asbestos issues. Yeh, you may have signed up to work as a carpenter, knowing that you might step on a nail. But you may not have signed up had you knew 40% of you colleagues would get cancer.

thatguy12345:

A lot of people are saying that the players knew what they were getting themselves into (i.e. it's a violent sport and they signed up for it). But it's not that simple. NFL players, especially back in the day were not allowed to make an informed decision.

They were not told that concussions could be a life altering/life threatening ordeal later on in their lives. Even worse, it's quite possible that the NFL knew this was the case and still did not properly inform their players of the complications.

Yeh, guys are making millions right now. And yeh, everyone signs up knowing that it's a dangerous sport. But that's wasn't the case 30,40,50 years ago when guys had a second job in the off season. Even 5-10 years ago no body took concussions seriously on any level of football.

Compare it to an asbestos issues. Yeh, you may have signed up to work as a carpenter, knowing that you might step on a nail. But you may not have signed up had you knew 40% of you colleagues would get cancer.

Is this a serious post? I genuinely want to know because it's too idiotic to comprehend if this is serious.

You're saying that the NFL of 40 or 50 years ago--a relatively un-rich organization until the 1990s--knew about long-term health consequences of concussions that medical science at large wasn't aware of? Is this seriously what you're saying? If this is what you're saying you need to be beaten with a stupid stick. The NFL was so pedestrian that in the 1960s for Super Bowl I the broadcasters literally wiped that game tape after the game not having any idea that in the future the NFL would become a major industry, thus losing the broadcast video of Super Bowl I for all time.

ouch, no need to be a butthead about it.

The important thing is that mTBIs (mild/moderate Traumatic Brain Injuries) weren't studied much until 2006ish. We didn't even have the ability to spot the very mild ones until 2009 (I think-- don't crucify me; I can't find data on when SPECT scans began being applied to this).

On the other hand, everyone knew taking repeated blows to the head was bad for you-- boxing was America's largest sport for years and they suffered similar problems.

Mainly what I don't understand though is why the players wouldn't get lifetime health insurance and that's it. There shouldn't be additional compensation for "reduced standard of living" as that is priced into the total scheme already- not to mention the players are now very well compensated to begin with.

Best Response

I think the next couple of poster hit on it, but since you addressed my comment directly I'll address yours.

1, Yes, 50-60 years ago out us about 20 years after WW2..the world of medicine knew that head trauma caused serious long term issues.from war vets coming back with serious issues.

2 Doesn't matter if the NFL was irrelevant at the time. They employed medical professionals that had the fiduciary responsibility to be aware of the risk the their employees were taking, and to notify them thoroughly of all the risk.

3 Even if were not talking about 19060's football. Even in 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, and even 2000's...Head trauma was seen as less serious than a high ankle sprain.

Do you really think in 1990 that no one knew that sustained head trauma would cause long term damage. Well, junior seau had over 200 concussions during his total football career.

What you don't get is that a football player were not informed about the seriousness of this issue.... They literally have a medical professional saying..."your good to go son..get out there" If a guy told a player that they have a heart condition..

There' a reason that part of the settlement allowed the NFL to not release their findings...because they knew that head trauma caused long term damage.

So..maybe you should settle down..

How can anyone say this is good for the players?

$765 million sure is a lot of money, but I'm astonished the NFL got away with a lump sum payment. I thought for sure the NFLPA would push HARD for a deal structured in some sort of revenue sharing scheme.

At least it's better than nothing I suppose. Certainly won't be the last payment either.

I genuinely believe that most of these former players had no idea that concussions could permanently ruin their lives for 30, 40 years down the line. And if they'd known that, they wouldn't have agreed to play for peanuts. I mean, the new concussion research is showing that even if you've never actually had a concussion, you're still fucked from extended exposure to minor hits (ie, basically what offensive linemen go through every play). It's much, much worse than anyone imagined. Grantland has some good stuff on it, as does Malcolm Gladwell. There's a Frontline documentary coming out soon as well that ESPN had done work on, but pulled out at the last minute (most likely from NFL pressure). Looking forward to it.

So I think the players got fucked on this, but it's going to be the first of many, MANY legal battles. I have no sympathy whatsoever for the NFL (they've became very, very rich on what increasingly appears to be a blood sport), but the worst, by far, is college football. These 18, 19, 20 year olds are putting themselves at risk for permanent brain damage. And they're denied any and all opportunities whatsoever to get compensation for it, even threatened with withdrawn scholarships, while the NCAA makes billions.

Say Marquise Lee (USC star, best receiver in college football, guaranteed first round pick) gets his head caved in by some DB as he's going over the middle during Week 3, comes back from injury too quick, gets fucked up again (see: Jahvid Best), and his college career is just shot, so he can't go to the pros. Dude is screwed. And he's never gonna a see a nickel of any of the money USC made off of all highlight reels, recruiting tapes, whatever. Say he gets Parkinsons at age 40. Who's covering his medical expenses? Not the NCAA! It's bullshit. And yes, I'm a pretty rabid fan of a college football, spend every Saturday glued to my TV, etc. So I'm feeding into the system. But that doesn't make it right.

Hindsight is 20/20. For all the bankers out there, how would you react if 20 years down the road scientists discovered a correlation (or maybe even causation) between working 100 hours per week and some irreversible disease?

Sure no one thinks working 100 hours a week is healthy, but people do it anyway since currently no one takes the matter seriously. It's probably taken as seriously as health was in the 1970s. But it makes a difference if colleagues, employees, and companies are actively discussing the matter compared to everyone keeping the issue all to themselves.

The point is that it's not about whether people believe something is damaging or not through implicit means. It's about whether or not it's in the public discourse and active conversation. Yes, the former is not illegal by any means, but it's morally questionable to not actively discuss these life-threatening issues. And when we're talking about people's lives, it's the right thing to talk about potentially life-threatening consequences.

It's one thing to bet mom and dad's bank account without telling them cause it's just money. It's another thing to stake something of theirs that money can't buy (their reputations, their jobs, etc) without their knowledge. They're almost the same, but the latter is just a little more questionable (in my opinion) since it's not something you can just buy back.

I'd like to add that going to a public high school with 9-10 D1 signees in my senior class (cut that actual number in half for all those that can't fulfill their obligation of NCAA GPA/SAT; scarily low requrements by the way) I guarantee you that safety, specifically that from potential life-threatening trauma such as concussions, was downplayed to the point of making fun of a player if he complained about it. My HS won the state championship a few years after I left, and I know that the next generation of players were being fed the same rhetoric about how complaining about head trauma made you "soft."

Tl;dr those of us on this board are better able to evaluate the risks associated with football than many of those that play the game. If you think the settlement is reasonable, I'm not arguing. I'm suggesting that you should come at this from the perspective of a boy who grew up in a single-parent home where your only hope of making it to college for the first time in your family was getting a football scholarship.

Unde perferendis id minima. In quam ut sunt aut sed totam. Id alias dolorem aut ad.

Dolorem praesentium aut ab laborum voluptatem beatae. A et in autem officiis tempora voluptatem doloribus. Quia maiores cum velit laborum occaecati nulla.

Rem numquam vitae omnis dolore ut tempora cum. Et pariatur laborum nihil corrupti in. Dignissimos sit facere illo culpa ad. Modi qui non nihil ut qui corporis dolores.

Nemo vel velit sit cupiditate. Reiciendis et labore qui atque. Quaerat sint tempore eos rerum voluptas. Quia laborum inventore sunt alias. Veritatis numquam maxime id alias earum a quia.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”