The 10 Quintessential Hip Hop Albums of 2022

2022 is wrapping up and as a lover of hip-hop (and music in general), I always find myself looking back on the new music that I had the privilege of listening to throughout the year. This has been a great year for hip hop, by my count it's easily the best year since 2018 when we got gems like Daytona, Astroworld, Care For Me, Drip Harder, Championships, etc. (2018 remains the best hip hop year probably of the last decade). Below is a list of 10 albums released this year that I think every fan of hip hop needs to listen to. I also threw in some honorable mentions because it wasn't easy to pare this list down to 10. Enjoy.

Kendrick Lamar - Mr. Morale and the Big Steppers
Best song(s): Savior, Rich Spirit, The Heart Part 5

Vince Staples - Ramona Park Broke My Heart
Best song(s): Aye! (Free The Homies), Magic, East Point Prayer

Kid Cudi - Entergalactic
Best song(s): Do What I Want, Livin' My Truth

Buddy - Superghetto
Best song(s): Ain't Fair, Happy Hour

Marlon Craft - While We're Here
Best song(s): World Champ, Hans Zimmer

JID - The Forever Story
Best song(s): Kody Blu 31, Lauder Too, Bruddanem

Earthgang - Ghetto Gods
Best song(s): Water Boyz, Ghetto Gods

Pusha T - It's Almost Dry
Best song(s): Brambleton, I Pray for You

Ab Soul - Herbert
Best song(s): FOMF, Do Better, Church On The Move

Black Thought - Cheat Codes
Best song(s): Aquamarine, Because

Honorable mentions: Benny The Butcher - Tana Talk 4, Nas - King's Disease 3, Westside Boogie - More Black Superheroes, Future - I Never Liked You, Dreamville - D-Day: A Gangsta Grillz Mixtape, Lupe Fiasco - Drill Music In Zion, Smino - Luv 4 Rent, Joey Badass - 2000, Lil Baby - It's Only Me, Freddie Gibbs - Soul Sold Separately, Rome Streetz - Kiss The Ring, Roc Marciano & The Alchemist - The Elephant Man's Bones, Saba - Few Good Things 

YoungThuggaLaCroix

Agree on most of these but would also add Melt My Eyez See Your Future by Denzel Curry, HEROES & VILLAINS by Metro Boomin and God Don't Make Mistakes by Conway The Machine

I definitely forgot Conway and Denzel

Array

camoose

That list is fair if you add Conway, Denzel and Metro Boomin. Also 2017 clearly the best year in the past decade - DAMN., Flower Boy, 4:44, Culture, Never Story, All-Amerikkkan Bada$$, the Saturation trilogy... the list goes on.

It's 2018. We can compare notes if you want though 

Array

looked them up.

both predominantly have no real music played with musical instruments in their "music". but I found clips of them playing music instruments. Thundercat's level of guitar playing is of somebody who started learning guitar a couple of months ago at most, i.e. he knows like 3 chords and has no technique. Masego is actually good at playing sax - Tadow is beautiful. but his actual "music" has no sax and it's just mumbling. if all his music was like Tadow, I would be a fan.

Dolorem aperiam eum quis non. Laborum dicta magnam fugit deleniti est odio. Quam quisquam omnis atque ducimus quisquam consectetur. Rerum adipisci veniam est qui neque vero. Molestias et accusantium et id inventore. Fugit necessitatibus et cum distinctio maxime accusamus saepe. Sunt enim molestiae neque aliquam reiciendis.

Odit error modi iure dolorem voluptate animi sed. Aliquam error ipsa neque labore accusamus. Voluptates omnis excepturi minus veritatis reiciendis temporibus. Est ea voluptatem laudantium porro quam enim unde.

Doloremque quis accusantium ea officia tenetur id qui. Quas eaque eos dolores est architecto. Error explicabo in dolores delectus. Iste corporis eum eum voluptate quia.

Array

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”