WSO Weekly Wrap-Up (10/31-11/6)

In case you missed them, here're some of last week's most popular topics:

You don't know anything— 5 things to do about it
Post By @geoffblades"

Throughout my career I was constantly reminded of how little I knew. When I interviewed for a job at Goldman Sachs, as a finance major writing a thesis on option pricing and having interned at JP Morgan, I thought I knew all about the job. But when I started working, I realised I didn't know anything. Subsequently when I joined the Carlyle Group, I landed in the seat again, realising that I didn't know anything.

Goldman's New Policy for Investment Banking Analysts - 3 Reasons Why it Won't Stop the Bleeding to the Buyside
Post By @WallStreetOasis.com"

There is no doubt in my mind that the majority of the analysts who have completed two years of boot camp can become very successful associates for the firm. However, I'm just not convinced that this will move the needle enough to retain the most talented of the bunch and here are my three main reasons why.

AMA - Analyst at top BB from non-target background
Post By @TheNonTargetBanker"

I graduated in May and interned at a boutique (not elite boutique) bank during the school year and as a summer analyst. Subsequently, I went through FT recruiting and landed a spot at a BB through extensive networking efforts. Ask me anything!

5 Things I Wish I Knew About the ERP Program before Signing Up
Post By @Justin."

In my search for ways to bridge my gap in work experience on my resume, I came across the Energy Risk Professional Program (ERP). I enrolled, studied, wrote the exam (twice), and obtained my ERP certification. When I began looking to enroll in this program, the first thing I noticed was information about it was hard to come by. Here are 5 things I wish I knew about the ERP program before signing up.

Things to read while pretending to work – Nov. 5, 2015
Post By @Alistair-Clark"

It's the end of the week. You have been grinding since Monday and we both know that very little actual work is getting done today. After all, you would not be on WSO right now if you were in the middle of a fire drill. Instead of endlessly clicking through WSO / FaceBook / BarStool / Reddit / etc., why don't we turn that wasted dead time into something more productive?

Keep Getting Fired
Post By @REFinance516"

I am very confused as to what's wrong with me. I did well in school and I think I'm a pretty personable guy cause I get a lot of interviews and offers. However, I just can't seem to manage to hold a job. Does anyone have any suggestions for improvement?

Square's IPO: Silicon Valley Finance meets Wall Street
Post By @playtheman"

What do you guys think about the Square IPO? What implications do you think such a move carries for Square? Do you think going public will allow Square to expand, achieve scalability and become profitable? Or do you think Square might be better off being a private entity?

WSJ - Tie Bank Bonuses to Executive Women Hires, U.K. Government Review Proposes
Post By @MBA_Junkie"

Saw this in the news today. Discuss.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”