FX S&T to F500 Corp Treasury?

Fellow monkeys - I've been an FX sales trader of a super regional bank the past 4 years, hoping to make the move to F500 corporate treasury.

How would F500 treasury groups look at this experience for filling a treasury analyst position, particularly if the role is heavily weighted towards managing the FX risk of the company? How much would a CTP designation help my cause?

The reason I want to make the move is b/c I'm more interested with the risk management aspect of FX markets, as opposed to sales.

If anyone here works in a F500 treasury group, or if anyone has made this move before, if you could give a few pointers to a chimp in need, would be appreciated greatly.

Best Response

Hi,

I will provide what information I can, as I work at a F50. I've seen these postings but they are generally very rare, so I would reccomend doing a lot of searching/networking for them. I don't know what you were making as a FX sales trader at a regional bank, but I would generally expect a significant cut in pay, though you will have a lot more job security - and will most likely only be working 50 hours or so a week to compensate.

I would expect your experience to be highly valued. Best of luck with it.

May I ask why you want to make the move?

Took to me a minute to connect the name with the picture, good SNL skits.

Thanks Aspirant21, I appreciate the insight you have for a fellow chimp. I agree these positions are somewhat rare. Most Treasury Analyst positions I've seen cover many general areas (FX, interest rate, commodity risk, cash flow forecasting, cash management, reporting, etc). I've applied to a few recently that are heavily weighted towards FX risk, but I have the feeling HR will ding me just because I'm outside the area, and a Treasury Analyst position isn't a role they would recruit outside the immediate vicinity. Again, the positions I've applied to are VERY specific to FX, almost to the point of being a buy-side FX trader/risk manager solely for the company.

From your position in F50 Corp Treasury, would you say cold emailing/cold calling to the Assistant Treasurer level would work, to get around the HR/location issue? I know this is more prevalent in banking, but would love to hear your thoughts on how a cold email would be received by a Corp Treasury staff.

To answer your question, I want to make the move for numerous reasons:

-FX margins are being compressed (price transparency) and will only continue to do so. I think FX S&T will look very different in 10-20 years, both from a margin standpoint as well as being replaced somewhat by technology. Not to mention possible regulations coming from BNY Mellon & State Street lawsuits with major pensions.

-On the S&T side, there is pressure to trade against your counterparty, and I'm more interested in giving solid, fiduciary advice vs. ripping my customer's face off on a trade.

-Personality wise, I'm not the outgoing/jovial type you would expect from an S&T guy. Again, I'm more interested in the fundamental & technical side of FX markets vs. the sales aspect.

Qui fugit explicabo laboriosam sit rerum. Voluptas et maxime minima quia.

Architecto porro assumenda ut iste itaque. Voluptatem architecto reprehenderit quis dolor harum. Id velit laboriosam dolores aperiam. Omnis aliquid quas dolores fugit facilis. Ut suscipit assumenda possimus eos non et veniam.

Aut vel est excepturi sunt et et fugiat. A eos doloremque a dolor est impedit. Eligendi sapiente est facere velit placeat quod in. Odio illum velit modi excepturi itaque sed consectetur.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”