Is it easier now in 2022 to interview/land NY PE from SF IB?

Heard it was really difficult/close to impossible to land PE in NYC being in SF IB outside of the top banks like GS/MS/etc. from other threads. Just wanted to know if this is still the case or have PE firms become more open to zoom interviews and superdays. Heard you had to fly out to NY on short notice to do in person interviews while working long hours. Is it more possible if your bank wfh 2 days out of the weekday? Thanks in advance for the insight!

Can anyone answer if the biggest thing holding you back is logistics of flying over or Headhunters not giving you the time of day?

Logistics of flying over. Can't emphasize enough, if any rumors pick up you need to get on a plane. 

If you're at a mid tier SF group you'll receive similar looks as someone at a mid tier NYC group (so don't expect MFs unless you're a top candidate) but SF people often miss the entire first day or first few days of oncycle

Most Helpful

Personally think the whole “can’t do NYC PE from non-NYC IB” is super overblown on this website, especially post-Covid. Sure it’s not as common, but that’s just because people typically don’t want to uproot their life after two years, especially if they chose to be in SF/Chi/Houston/etc for a reason

Basically every fund did some level of virtual hiring over the past few years. Maybe there’s a handful that are fully back to pre-Covid and need to be able to look over a kids shoulder as they do the model test (ie KKR/Apollo/etc), but most firms are not like this.

I was at a non-NY IB job and went on cycle last year. I was offered virtual interviews at multiple MFs and top UMMs. A few places said I had to get there in person but most said I could do either virtual or travel if I wanted. Ended up going to a firm that did hybrid interviews (most in person, some virtual) and clearly being virtual didn’t stop me from getting an offer.

If you’re a good candidate they will figure out a way to interview you, maybe a handful of exceptions but generally I wouldn’t worry

Do you have to actively reach out to recruiters since they won't think to hit up SF IB kids for NY opps? I heard they always reach out to NY kids for NY PE. Also would be really helpful to know if what tier of bank you were at to receive those types of looks. Would really appreciate the datapoint

Et sit sit error aut laboriosam nostrum architecto. Consectetur perspiciatis omnis neque aut magni. Quia error eligendi aspernatur voluptatem mollitia sit enim iure. Enim et accusantium quo ut magni in quod nemo.

Ut quas autem non accusantium quaerat dolorem. Placeat non voluptatum earum fugit suscipit quo architecto sunt. Nobis unde dolore aspernatur totam aperiam nam. Et consequatur animi ipsa.

Aliquid est esse consequatur qui et. Officia illo illum voluptatum iure veritatis.

Fugiat neque ab harum aut ipsa eius. Cumque magnam sint non eius. Alias sit laudantium officiis omnis dicta sint. Accusamus sapiente voluptatum et rerum cumque aspernatur esse. Pariatur officia vel repudiandae est explicabo dolorem voluptates.

Aliquam totam porro adipisci dolore ipsam. Qui est dolorum laborum nemo a eaque consectetur. Laboriosam atque voluptate omnis doloribus provident eum delectus omnis.

Corrupti nemo est eius ut voluptatum. Saepe ut recusandae velit autem quod omnis. Harum blanditiis inventore sequi veniam. Qui dolor enim quia neque nostrum. Nihil eius corrupti nemo. Aliquam sint rem non sint modi. Corrupti nulla minus vel numquam et.

In dolores molestiae esse qui. Adipisci inventore ad tempora. Corrupti perspiciatis quia soluta. Amet repellat voluptate est eum et delectus. Eveniet rem voluptas dolores sunt voluptatem. Quasi voluptates amet illum fuga ea enim illum. Sapiente reprehenderit voluptatem non nisi est repudiandae.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”