Updated (2021) Views on H.I.G. Capital?

There's a few other threads that are dated but I'm curious if anyone has any updated views on HIG and what it's like to work there. Is pay / benefits / lifestyle still way below market? Are they well respected / are lateral opportunities to other MM / UMM funds solid? How do the various funds (Advantage, MM LBO, LBO) stack up in terms of reputation, returns, and prestige? Does the culture vary by office (Miami vs. SF vs. NYC vs. Boston)? Any color would be helpful. Gracias. 

Happy to add a data point on HIG Bayside (special situations fund). Pay is street (associate friend made ~$270k all in last year), but culture isn't known to be great (high associate turnover, nobody wants to stay on for VP). Have worked alongside in deals and they're sharp and in interesting credits. This is for the NYC office, unsure if Bayside operates in the others. 

From a general perspective, agree with other commenters, however it seemed to be a highly desirable spot in the recent on-cycle processes.

These are the dumbest threads. If HIG was sweaty yesterday, they will probably still be sweaty tomorrow. HIG is a highly respected firm and there have been dozens of threads on the culture, comp, etc. You'll get a much better sense for the firm if you linkedin message a few associates / senior associates / VP's and set up a call to "learn about the firm and your approach to [PE, credit, etc.]

Thanks for your post! What's your sense of the WLB/hours for VPs in the NYC office?

I know HIG recently started an affiliated "HIG tech" platform - how do folks within HIG think about the prospect of this initiative?

Most Helpful

Associates, VPs, and Principals were all getting worked during my time there. VPs were pulling associate hours (80+ every damn week after COVID started) while Principals were consistently working past 9pm. One VP mentioned that he had worse hours than when he was an associate at his MF. I’m not sure how much WLB has changed since but this was largely driven by 1) insane amount of new deals in the pipeline after COVID, 2) new partner hires/promotes and inadequate junior staffing, and 3) new fund strategies (tech, SPAC, etc).

HIG is a bit late to the tech buyout boom and they’re still trying to wrap their heads around valuation when it comes to software. It’ll take some time for IC to get comfortable with valuations and certain tech business models (given HIG is inherently a value shop) but they’ve done a couple of deals since launching the fund and made some key hires before doing so. Since they are still in “figure it out” mode, IC is a bit more demanding when it came to diligence. This was a year ago so again, maybe things have changed.

Nostrum qui dicta voluptatem ut est. Voluptatem rerum accusamus neque dolor voluptas qui quos. Qui veniam qui veritatis natus iste. Sit occaecati recusandae qui velit. Quidem velit est ducimus.

Ratione amet molestiae ut debitis et. Ratione nostrum quasi et ipsa minima cum facilis. Aut similique officia similique et explicabo. Similique modi dicta et id omnis minus.

Suscipit possimus quod reprehenderit id velit et. Aut id eum at maiores. Eaque sunt quia molestias sed. Quam id sint earum et aut nihil iste. Tempore esse modi non et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (90) $280
  • 2nd Year Associate (205) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”