Can I round a 3.603 to 3.7 GPA?

Many bank applications give you a dropdown menu to enter your GPA - I currently have a 3.603, can I round this to a 3.7 GPA on the application? What about on my resume? I've heard several times that 3.7 is the "cutoff" for GPA requirements for many banks.

I come from a relatively competitive Big Ten business school - I know this is asked a lot in this forum, but I really need confirmation/confidence that I'm making the right decision. Just keep it a buck with me - will I get screwed in the background screening (assuming I got through interviews + super day), or can I reason my way around it?

17 Comments
 

If this semester I am able to bring it up to at least a 3.65 or 3.6, is rounding up to a 3.7 alright then? Keeping in mind that the application only gives one-decimal options.

Also, when exactly during the process do banks usually do the background check?

 

This past summer I took courses that brought my gpa to a 3.65, but it still hasn’t been reflected on my unofficial transcript. So if the firm gets the transcript from my uni it’s showing my old gpa

 

Well I doubt you're applying to any firm yet. Most likely applications will open January. So it'll reflect your summer and fall semester GPA. Just don't ever exaggerate or lie about it, that's where real trouble starts. 

 

Absolutely not. The risk of getting called out (or worse) for that far outweights the marginal difference between 3.6 and 3.7. if its less than 3.65 you can't round. 

 

Go read your books pal—IB isn't the be-all & end-all of life. Be content with less competitive jobs.

 

Ut aut aspernatur nulla sint rerum minima ut animi. Rem molestiae et earum corporis fugit eum. Quisquam excepturi similique ratione earum itaque iusto aliquid.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
3
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
4
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
5
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
6
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
7
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
8
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
9
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
10
bolo up's picture
bolo up
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”