710/3.6 for Top 10

Got a 710 which I know isn’t great. Especially because all my practice exams were 48Q/40V and my actual test was 45Q/42V. I’m applying from public sector with experiences in nonprofits and government work. I’m hoping to have a shot at HBS and am also interested in Yale SOM since they seem to like candidates with my background. Plan is to apply broadly across the top 10. Will my profile make up for the lower gmat or should I retake?

Yale SOM is the biggest GMAT whore in its segment (10th to 16th). Think it's a terrible choice in terms of a safety.

HBS the least GMAT-whore-ish out of the top-top schools, but you don't seem to have the stardust to attract their attention enough.

I would add other schools to your list. Kellogg, Tuck, Wharton, for example. Maybe Booth too. Your blend of GMAT/GPA puts you closer to their sweet spot.

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

Best Response

I wrote that SOM is a terrible choice in terms of a safety; it goes without saying HBS is a reach. Terrible portfolio.

Further, MBA admissions is not a linear game. The GMAT is super important, but the better the school, the more the GMAT is a “check the box, necessary but not sufficient” part of the overall profile.

The OP has a decent profile, albeit a slightly below average GMAT, and depending on essay quality, may or may not make a compelling a candidate. A GMAT whore with a small student body like Yale SOM will probably not take the time to read his application closely because of how central the GMAT is to their strategy. They are focused on taking weaker overall candidates with better GMATs.

Better schools like the ones I mentioned have a higher quality candidate pool and are not worried about hitting 720-730 averages for their incoming class, and are a bit more likely to give the OP a shot looking at the comprehensive package (I know this for a fact), and make a better reach case than HBS (the other school OP was looking at). OP should still look at more schools in the 10-16 segment that aren’t as GMAT-whorey as SOM. Makes more sense to have an overall list of, say, Kellogg as the the reach (plus one of Booth or Wharton as a bit of a Hail Mary), and adding Duke, Stern and Darden to Yale SOM.

Capisci?

The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be the shepherd.

Quae minus sed qui cumque. Dignissimos accusamus accusantium quidem consequatur aliquid veritatis.

Ipsam numquam a incidunt voluptatibus minima reiciendis autem. Voluptas dolores molestiae illo. Nobis voluptatem reprehenderit voluptas.

Laborum similique sit assumenda autem. Esse laudantium sit non accusamus repellendus cum modi. Eveniet impedit dolores culpa voluptatem quos. Soluta aut et rerum. Non nostrum et voluptatibus aut officia veritatis.

Error ullam qui et nisi a eum dolorem earum. Quod sit officia saepe sit. Nihil ut omnis accusamus sed.

mbaMission Admissions Consultant For personal advice, please see up a free consultation: http://www.mbamission.com/consult.php Website: http://www.mbamission.com Blog: http://www.mbamission.com/blog

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”