Hamilton College or Middlebury? (I'm not sure if I'm 100% trying to get into finance)

Hi everyone. I'm currently a high school senior and I was accepted to both Hamilton and Middlebury. 

The thing is, I'm not sure if I'm 100% trying to get into finance. I'm definitely going to major in computer science so I don't know if I want to do math + cs or econ + cs. I wish I could say I had passion for investment banking, but with absolutely no job experience (besides helping out my mother's consulting business. I did a lot of Excel/PowerPoint related work and have always incorporated VBA/Python to improve my efficiency), I don't know if I'll love it or hate it. And the same case goes for tech.

I'm also interested in "tech in finance" since growing up I have been introduced to the e-banking systems my father and his colleagues worked on.

I think I'm stuck between these schools. Hamilton has a great NYC program which I'm really excited about and overall I feel more comfortable in Hamilton after talking to students from both schools. Hamilton also has a decent math + econ combination (I've met plenty of math + econ students already) and has sent 3 grads to Deutsche Bank in 2021 (I'm specifically interested in this case because 1. Hamilton did a coverage on this 2. Diversity? One of them is even an international student). However, after browsing through this website, I'm left with an impression that Middlebury is more "recognized" by the finance world. 

I didn't find any detailed info of Middlebury's career outcome besides the percentages on their website, though. Hamilton has a "Outcomes Report" thing which tells you how many grads in one class went into finance/consulting/tech/education etc and where they went 

https://www.hamilton.edu/after/outcomes

Edit: I'm an Asian female who comes from a middle-class family with no connections at all. Those schools didn't give me any financial aid but my parents worked really hard to be able to pay ~79k a year, so I'm also unsure about going to grad school. My advisor told me to choose Hamilton (it fits me better) and go for grad school while I'm really hoping to be employed right after college. Right now, I'm leaning towards Hamilton.

Choose Midd 100%, whether it’s for finance or a math/comp sic role, Midd has a far reaching alumni network that will go to bat for you.

In terms of finance, as you mentioned previously they are more recognized then Hamilton in that regard and send out numerous students to firms every year (GS is the biggest target)

Midd is also a lot better in terms of sports and campus feel, but that is more opinionated then anything else.

Feel free to pm me

Thanks for your comment. I can only answer the campus feel part because after visiting these two places I feel more connected to Hamilton and their students. GS is Middlebury's biggest target? Interesting...David Solomon graduated from Hamilton 😂

I’d say Middlebury has most kids go to GS with some MS, and then spread out from there. They have a really strong Student Investment Committee which sets most of the students there up with opportunities if they want to take them.

thanks! where can i find info like this though? i found "outcomes reports" from hamilton's website but i couldn't find anything specific on middlebury's website. i'm not from a super wealthy family so i'm not even sure i can do IB to be honest. i'm more interested in tech in finance like ebanking systems and positions like project manager who "has more knowledge in tech than a regular finance person but has more knowledge in finance than a regular tech person" (if that makes sense) because i was exposed to this type of career early on thanks to my father.

Thanks for your input. I've already committed to Hamilton :) Visited both places and didn't like Midd at all. As for IB, the lack of data provided regarding Midd's outcome can't really convince me to sacrifice my potential happiness. Will try my best to get into Hamilton's NYC program in my sophomore year. 

Most Helpful

Officia saepe doloremque et voluptatem voluptatem tenetur. Harum non harum nostrum. Est fugit est et sunt officiis.

Voluptatem dolores ad et aut dicta qui provident aut. Provident hic sint nihil esse earum dicta. Culpa eum modi qui nulla doloribus nisi.

Aut quia perferendis et asperiores expedita aspernatur facilis veritatis. Nostrum doloribus necessitatibus error ex. Consequatur quia est fugiat minus et ut. Itaque facilis qui vel maiores quae sit placeat sed. Natus aliquid facere voluptates porro. Corporis qui quas ut temporibus dolorem laudantium.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”