Henry Kravis gives $100 Million to Columbia Business School

So, I am a little suprised this has never been mentioned on this site:

http://www7.gsb.columbia.edu/alumni/support-schoo…

What do you guys think this will do to the school's ranking in the future? Do you think a gift of this magnitude could possibly have the same effect the Booth gift had on the University of Chicago?

A Message From Henry Kravis:
Seven years after graduating from Columbia Business School I, with two partners, ventured into the world of small business ownership. The pieces fell into place: we were the right partnership employing the right ideas at the right time. I credit Columbia Business School for giving me much of the knowledge and connections that allowed me — and my company — to succeed.

Right now, Columbia Business School is at a similar inflection point. It has the people, curriculum, research, and ideas of a top business school. Soon it will have the facilities to match.

What is most exciting to me about the move to Manhattanville is that it offers increased opportunities for the School to connect with fellow New Yorkers, especially those who own small businesses in the Morningside Heights, West Harlem, and greater New York City communities. Just as I benefited from my Columbia Business School experiences and connections, I’m confident local business people will too.

The School has long been doing good outside the gates of the Columbia campus, and I’ve been impressed by the many community-oriented programs at the School. Top among them is the Columbia Community Business Program, which supports business growth and development in Upper Manhattan. Other excellent programs include the School’s Nonprofit Board Leadership Program, the Harlem Tutorial Program, the Hughie Mills Business Academy, the annual Holiday Party for Kids, as well as local chapters of such organizations as Junior Achievement and I-Prep.

I am inspired by the talent of the School’s faculty members and alumni, as well as students’ potential to effect positive change in the world. I am steadfastly confident that they can fulfill to that potential, never more than right now, with the promise of a new home in Manhattanville.

This move will — for the first time — bring the entire School together under a single roof, and it is with great pride that I pledge my support for the campaign.

Regards,

Henry R. Kravis ’69
Cochair, Columbia Business School Board of Overseers
Founding Partner, Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co.

Because Kravis understands that there's an elite level of name recognition with Columbia that few schools (and few people's names, no matter how rich/successful in business) could possibly match. Similarly, Phil Knight has given so much money to the Stanford GSB that you'd think he would want them to name the school for him, but both he and Stanford know that the Stanford name is so much more powerful, so it's in the school's best interest to keep it.

Chicago didn't have the same issue renaming itself to Booth, because Stanford/Harvard/Columbia are much better known abroad as prestigious institutions than UChicago. Same reason you'll never see Yale SOM give away naming rights IMO - the parent brand is too strong to give that up.

Non quam voluptatem maxime minima voluptas est. Accusantium esse perspiciatis quisquam in. Quia voluptates molestias id nisi accusamus nostrum. Iure suscipit excepturi iusto dolor. Et nesciunt voluptatem sed reiciendis. Qui itaque reiciendis ut et deserunt placeat.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”