Is a target school worth $150-200k in debt?

I see a lot of posts promoting target schools, but as a student who wants to go into S&T or ER, but does not care if it’s in NYC, is it worth it to take out $150-250k in additional student loans to go to a school like Indiana/UVA/Michigan compared to a state SEC school (not UGA/Florida) that would cost $30k max in debt?

Most Helpful

Initial Disclaimer: I am a rising junior in college at a semi-target. I will be interning at a large AM firm (Wellington/Fidelity/T. Rowe) as an ER intern next summer. I know almost nothing but I can offer some thoughts to think about. This will also hopefully bump your thread.

1. I do not have the experience to confirm this, but after going through the recruitment process, it seems like a target school may be more helpful to those targeting ER (rather than S&T). MIFID II has shrunk intern classes and I would estimate that there are probably less than 125 intern spots across the large MM and BB banks in NYC. I can't speak for the number of ER spots outside of NYC but I would assume they are even more limited.

2. I do not attend any of these schools but I would probably place UVA and Michigan one tier higher than Indiana. I am not saying Indiana is not a great school, but I think its target status might be debated whereas the other two are not.

3. I think you should look at the strength of the alumni network, the OCR opportunities and the extracurricular opportunities (used to build up your resume as an underclassmen) at the SEC school you are considering. Using those factors, determine how feasible it would be for you to actually land interviews.

4. I suggest you consider that your earnings capacity will be high in either of these industries (but lower than IB). I think assuming you make 65k out of college would be fair (in ER). $150k might be feasible to pay off relatively quickly considering bonuses will pump that number and comp will improve over time. However, that's still a lot of debt (especially if its closer to $250k). If you think you have the ability to break in from the SEC school, then that might be the smarter route. That most likely will come down to your psychological comfort will a more difficult path or your comfort with taking on that debt.

I know my thoughts were a bit messy but hopefully I have provided at least some insight.

Best of luck.

Branching off of this, first year base at a BB will be closer to $80-90k. Second, UVA/Mich are definitely the best choices in terms of your options, but it’s hard to tell you what the right financial decision will be. I personally went to a large SEC state school and managed to get to where I am. Though admittedly the school played very little part in getting my first job (mainly networking and some solid internships). There is higher risk of not getting the opportunities you want out of college if you decide against taking on the $200k in debt, but it definitely does not rule it out. Send me a PM if you want to discuss additional details.

I’m interning on the sellside at a top BB right now. Maybe the buyside is different, but I didn’t find that my school (a T50 non-target) mattered very much during recruiting (Good or bad). In my experience, ER analysts are lot less concerned about pedigree than bankers. As long as you know your shit, you’re golden. Also, I noticed that a lot of my interviewers didn’t go to target schools either.

That said, you may have an easier time learning “your shit” at a better school. But that’s probably best judged by evaluating your abilities and speaking with current students at each school

Prospect in VC:
Indiana/UVA/Michigan

One of these is not like the others.

Nostrum ut ab occaecati minima. Blanditiis dolore consequatur enim quidem nihil omnis nostrum. Consequatur voluptate non facere reprehenderit. Aspernatur magnam officiis molestiae soluta ut velit voluptatum deserunt.

Quaerat ut sequi mollitia. Placeat perspiciatis sed et qui est nisi.

Sint porro enim vitae sint facere eveniet. Maxime ipsa doloribus est itaque animi laudantium. Dignissimos suscipit rem vel illum aspernatur. Itaque et et consequatur at vel autem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 01 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (92) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (206) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (148) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”