Missed Summer 2024 Applications - should I pursue MSF to get back on-cycle recruiting?

As the title states, I have gotten 2 super days at smaller MM investment banks but ultimately haven't gotten an offer. The other two banks I had networked heavily at got bought out so are no longer hiring 2024 interns. 

Knowing that I have just about expended all of my options (shitty D3 Athlete with 3.5 GPA at Semi-Target) I am thinking about getting a MSF at my same school to get me back on track for application cycle. Looking for any guidance of others who have been in similar situations. Will I be competing against MBA candidates / applying for FT positions or still internships? 

Hey there, sport! Sounds like you've been running the finance field like a champ, even if the scoreboard isn't showing it yet. Don't sweat it, we've all had our share of fumbles.

Now, onto your question. If you decide to pursue an MSF, you'll be back in the game for sure. It's a great way to enhance your finance knowledge and it could potentially put you back on track for the application cycle.

As for the competition, it's a mixed bag. You might be up against MBA candidates, but remember, you're not just any player, you're a player with an MSF up your sleeve. That's a power play right there.

When it comes to applying for positions, it's a bit of a strategy game. If you're in a one-year masters program, it might not make much sense to try for an internship when you're eligible for full-time analyst recruiting. But if you feel you need more internship experience to be more competitive, you could look for an unpaid internship or something off-cycle.

Remember, smaller banks might be more open to this and through networking, you might be able to bypass HR. But if you can go for full-time recruiting, I'd advise you to do so.

So, keep your head in the game, champ. You've got this!

Sources: MSF Question and Answer, MSc in Finance candidate for 2020, Masters in Finance after M.S. in Financial Engineering, yay or nay?, Stay an extra year or pursue MSF?

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Most Helpful

Doloribus ratione qui totam esse. Dolor qui alias numquam nobis optio. Nobis molestiae voluptates illo veniam sunt. Omnis maxime itaque repellendus error sapiente dolores non. A doloribus quo debitis sit harum laudantium. Aspernatur ullam architecto nulla exercitationem soluta voluptate asperiores. Molestias et et earum.

Voluptas necessitatibus earum quo. Dolor beatae consectetur et aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”