MSF 2020 Profile evaluation

Hi,

I’m applying to MSF programs, and I wanted to see my chances of gettig into my targets.

My profile:

BA in Economics, Minors in Statistics and Philosophy from a state school (top 40)

GPA: 3.48 Major GPA 3.7
Very upward trend, did not receive anything under an A- in any of my major classes like econometrics, macro, financial economics during my last two years in college.

EC:

Started my own food condiment company at the age of 19. Currently supplying Whole Foods and Walmart.

Worked as an interpreter for a Korean company.

GRE: Q: 164 V: 158

Targets: UT, Southern Methodist Univ, USC, UC Irvine, UTD, WUSTL, Vandy, Johns Hopkins, UCSD

Will I have a good shot at these schools?

Dryzn:
Hi,

I’m applying to MSF programs, and I wanted to see my chances of gettig into my targets.

My profile:

BA in Economics, Minors in Statistics and Philosophy from a state school (top 40)

GPA: 3.48 Major GPA 3.7 Very upward trend, did not receive anything under an A- in any of my major classes like econometrics, macro, financial economics during my last two years in college.

EC:

Started my own food condiment company at the age of 19. Currently supplying Whole Foods and Walmart.

Worked as an interpreter for a Korean company.

GRE: Q: 164 V: 158

Targets: UT, Southern Methodist Univ, USC, UC Irvine, UTD, WUSTL, Vandy, Johns Hopkins, UCSD

Will I have a good shot at these schools?

idk about Vandy/USC (Gre is a bit on the lower side, especially quant)

but this is just my opinion, i am not an expert of US programmes

In my opinion GRE Q 164 is fine. It could be an issue if you were applying to an MFE, but not an MSF. It is equivalent to an old GRE Q 790. It may not dazzle adcoms but is more than satisfactory. Keep in mind that in the old days MIT’s PhD threshold was usually around 750 (equivalent to 159). So 160+ is quite fine. Also keep in mind that no GRE Q score truly dazzles anyone.

Once you have a Q 160+ the score that really matters for MSF is the GRE V. After all, if you look at the work of an Analyst, it involves large amounts of reading as well as writing grammatically correct report s and making good presentations etc. You need a good V score to do that. Notice that when you look at MBA business schools">M7 average GRE scores are balances i.e. the V is just as high as the Q.

perazziman:
In my opinion GRE Q 164 is fine. It could be an issue if you were applying to an MFE, but not an MSF. It is equivalent to an old GRE Q 790. It may not dazzle adcoms but is more than satisfactory. Keep in mind that in the old days MIT’s PhD threshold was usually around 750 (equivalent to 159). So 160+ is quite fine. Also keep in mind that no GRE Q score truly dazzles anyone.

Once you have a Q 160+ the score that really matters for MSF is the GRE V. After all, if you look at the work of an Analyst, it involves large amounts of reading as well as writing grammatically correct report s and making good presentations etc. You need a good V score to do that. Notice that when you look at MBA business schools">M7 average GRE scores are balances i.e. the V is just as high as the Q.

Maybe ur conversion is wrong. 164/158 GRE equals to a 670 gmat (45q,35v)

Most Helpful

3.5GPA, Good school rank (I am going to assume it is a well known state program).

GRE converts per ETS to a 670 GMAT. OK, not amazing, but not bad.

That being said, check out the GRE splits at WUSTL, what I would consider a top program:

https://olin.wustl.edu/EN-US/academic-programs/specialized-masters-prog…

Your stats all fall in line with WUSTL, which tells me the following:

SMU - In UC Irvine - In WUSTL - Competitive JHU - In UCSD - In

UT, USC and Vanderbilt will all be the toughest. With that said, MSF enrollment is flat to down across the board. MSF enrollment goes up when the job market is tough. The market is very good right now and the trade war is impacting Chinese enrollment. Over the years it has been my observation that domestic interest in these programs doesn't really change too much, but will decline slightly as the economy improves.

Why do I bring this up? Because programs have to ultimately fill seats and with less people applying class profiles decline a little.

Hi TNA,

Thanks for all the info and work you do to help people make an informed choice on MSF programs.

I am not sure, but I think MSF programs may receive a lot more interest from India and China. As you know, the Trump administration has recently changed the H1B selection process that essentially makes it difficult for graduates of foreign grad schools to get into the US. So, the quickest entry into the US for foreigners right now might be a US Grad 10 month STEM program such as a MSF. If that is the case, then I think there could be a surge of applications from India and China

I have been invited to interview for a couple of MSF programs (Think Vandy/WUSTL/BC/Nova/UT), and I am wondering how meaningful the interview offer is. Does everyone that sends in an application get an interview offer, or is this a good sign of admission, or something in between? Any thoughts on this topic would help, thanks!

Explicabo itaque saepe dignissimos qui fugit doloremque exercitationem. Et voluptas nobis et consectetur nulla et asperiores quidem. Qui veniam eius animi animi voluptatem illo. Maiores officiis quia incidunt odit.

Unde numquam qui repellendus consequatur velit. Est accusamus deleniti qui est velit. In reiciendis laboriosam odit. Magni reiciendis a tenetur omnis enim. Neque molestiae quod quibusdam iusto natus. Nobis at illo error culpa autem. Accusamus reprehenderit repudiandae enim commodi cupiditate.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”