MSF Class of 2017

Mod Note (Andy) - this was originally posted 8/25/15 but we know @TNA" loves answering these questions so bumping up again to the top

With the MSF recruiting cycle quickly approaching, I thought it would be helpful to create an updated MSF thread for everyone applying to the 2016-2017 MSF cycle. Feel free to post questions for this years upcoming applications here. I will answer what I can. Good luck everyone!

wallynutsack:

Two-part question:
1.) Placement (areas) on Wall Street- e.g. AM vs. IB vs. quant/risk
- Rochester (Simon Full-time)
- Villanova
- Claremont Mckenna
- BC
- UF
- Columbia (MS Financial Economics)/ similar level of admission difficulty as math of finance?
2.) Credibility of these programs:
- Fordham and Johns Hopkins (in terms of prestige and placement)
- Wake Forest MA in Management (in terms of relevance)
- Stevens Institute of Tech. MSFE (in terms of prestige and chances as non-math undergrad)

Thanks for doing this post, TNA. I have used past discussions as a resource for 2017 MSF programs.

Rochester - mainly F500 type placements. I have met some Simon alumni on the street though. Villanova - Banking/F500/Big 4 TAS, etc. Mainly in the north east (Philly, NJ, NYC). Boutique/MM. Claremont - Banking/F500. West Coast focused. MM/Elite Boutique/Some BB. UF - unless you are a UF UG the program is closed to outsiders. Amazing placements. BB/MM. Southern and NYC placements. Columbia - not sure. 2 year program. Think PhD-lite. I am sure if placements are your goal this degree would allow you the opportunity to interview at any top shop.

2) JHU and Fordham are all very good schools. Their MSF programs will provide a great education. The issue is they don't have a history of placements which many (most) MSF applicants use to decide where to attend. If your main (only) goal is to get placed and have those opportunities then I would probably apply elsewhere and keep these as your backup.

Wake Forest MiM - It is a good program. Southern type placements. Obviously you'd compete again UNC, Duke, UVA, etc. Other top southern schools. I'd say Wake would be good for F500 placements. Maybe a southern banking placement from time to time, dependent on the student. The nice aspect of the Wake program vs. Duke's MiM, is that Wake doesn't admit business UG's. Levels the playing field for the class.

Stevens - no clue. If you are a non-math UG I would probably shy away from MFE type programs. Learning curve will be incredibly steep and odds are, if you make it through, you'll struggle and not be mid/top of your class.

Best Response
wallynutsack:

The reason why I placed such an emphasis on placement is because I am considering an MSF in lieu of an MBA.
Did you and your peers already know which area of finance you wanted to work in ahead of entering your MSF program? And how heavily should an applicant consider placement in selecting MSF programs?
I am definitely interested in the learning aspect (I think that's common among anyone pursuing an MSF) but I feel like it would be foolish to pursue academia and disregard the relatively near-approaching post-Graduate future by thinking "I can always get an MBA" which I feel is, at the very least, uncommon after an MSF.

The MSF still isn't considered on par with an MBA, at least from a branding perspective. You'll be an analyst candidate, not an associate like with an MBA. If you have the experience, do an MBA. That being said, placements are key when selecting an MSF program, without a doubt. The people that were/are most successful are those that have a clear idea of their goals and how they plan on achieving them. The year goes by very fast and you need to hit the ground funning day 1.

centrum100:

Can anyone explain how recruiting works if one were to do the traditional 4 years at an UG and then a 1 year MSF? Would you recruit for SA in the summer before starting the MSF or do you recruit for FT?
I'm looking at the LinkedIn profiles of the some the Mckenna students, as @TNA mentioned have great placements, some of them are doing BB SA's before starting the MSF, is that by leveraging McKenna's career center? I also see some people doing SA 's after graduating from the program..
Any insight would be much apprecited

You'd have to apply and interview for a SA in your senior year. If you didn't do that I'd try and get a summer internship at a boutique to boost your resume. Most msf students aim for FT positions post graduation. Some do SAs, but it's a little tough going that route considering the fact that you'd be a masters graduate working with a bunch of juniors.

I'd try and land a job coming from UG, if thst fails roll into an internship and then the MSF. Use the masters to convert to FT.

wardulack:

Hey all, was hoping to find out my chances at admission into a decent program. I'm going to be applying next year with hopes at vanderbilt, uta, nova, smu in that order. I'm a current BBA undergrad from a non target with a 3.3 cumulative gpa. I had 1 failing semester, then served in the military, since the military I'm sitting at a 3.9 gpa. I'm looking at a 670 GMAT. Unfortunately no intern experience. However my military job was an intelligence analyst, so maybe I get a bump there? I would truly love to pick your brain @TNA I feel like with your insight into can be successful. Thanks in advance for input.

I think you'd get into most of the schools you listed. With that said, I would strongly advise you to look at MBA programs as I am going to assume you have more than one year experience. Military, especially the role you were in, combined with your stats, should help you get into a number of very good schools.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 18 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”