2024 TARGET SCHOOL RANKINGS - OFFICIAL

This list is adjusted for per capita placements, buyside potential, and difficulty to break in. 

Tier S++

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Wharton

Tier S+

MIT, UPenn, Columbia, Dartmouth

Tier S

Brown, Cornell, Duke, UChicago, Northwestern, Williams

Tier A

NYU Stern, Georgetown, Michigan, UVa, Amherst

Tier B

Notre Dame, Berkeley, WashU, Emory, UT, USC

Tier C

UNC, IU, Carnegie Mellon, UCLA, Vanderbilt, Boston College

I actively seek out Stern inters/first year analysts for my staffings because I’ve found they’re typically very solid and I haven’t had a bad experience with any Stern grads yet. So while I can’t comment on placement statistics, the ones placed at my bank are equal to or better analysts than some of the higher “ranked” schools on this list

Per capita placement is taken into account. Tons of Stern kids end up at horrible banks and strike out, but you only hear about the successful ones (most of which are ultra hardos). I would recommend the vast majority of these schools over Stern for a high schooler wanting to pursue IB

Stern has 700 kids per class. In comparison, Wharton has like 625. I know tons of people at Wharton who strike out, and the majority of people there try recruiting IB, so I don't think that's necessarily unique.

I think if you know you want to pursue IB, then Stern is better than places like Brown and Cornell. The top clubs at Stern place consistently very well, and if you know you want to do IB and you can join those clubs, I think it's a much more conducive place for landing a top offer

I hear this a lot but what does this even mean? Your Stern peers aren’t in a position to back stab you because recruiting isn’t a fucking group project lmao.

From what I have seen, Georgetown and Michigan, especially Ross, place well, and both are strong enough to be in the S tier. I’m not saying that they’re on the same level as Duke or UChicago, but at most, maybe about Cornell/slightly below it. Grouping them with UVA and Stern is a little low in my opinion.

Most Helpful

Duke and Uchicago to S+, place equal rly show schools and considerably stronger than S.

I also argue that any undergrad b school is worse than an ivy/T-10. The amount of stern/Wharton kids I know who strike out is high.

Wharton, Cornell Dyson, and UMich Ross, from what I have seen, place extremely well, as do their respective universities, making them worth attending overall. Totally agree with you once you reach the NYU Stern, UT-Austin McCombs level, and don’t get me started on IU Kelley.

IUK placement is crazy. I had so many superdays ranging from MO to IB and there were at least 1-2 IUK kids at all of them. My internship and FT program each had/have 2 IU kids there. From the ones I met they always strike a strong balance between having the works of a good workshop program with the hunger to prove themselves that non-target kids get when they have a shot. 

I didn't even go to IUK but I don't know why people struggle to accept the fact that a BIG10 school that isn't Ross can actually do well in a very short period of time. 

Duke sure. But if you move uChicago up, you gotta move Cornell (maybe even Brown) up too, which defeats the purpose.

nah dog, if this considers buyside uchicago clears those schools. probably has the most balanced placement across all areas of finance (quant, buyside, ib). Duke has insane IB numbers, but more uchicago kids to buyside/investing roles. I'd make an argument for dartmouth over these schools too.

MIT to S++, without a doubt. Not a lot of people there select for finance, but the ones that do almost always secure incredibly impressive jobs out of undergrad. If that’s the basis we’re using in this conversation, MIT is absolutely above Yale and Stanford.

How is Georgetown A? Should be S considering 1) basically everyone who wants to do IB gets IB 2) clubs/orgs can help you get that BB/EB (GUSIF placed 5+ into GS for example, GPS/Investment Office has pipeline to PJTRX) but is not needed 3) chill vibes in a great city

Controversial

WashU does not belong up there, switch it with Vanderbilt. UT should go 1 down as well. I would change it to this.. 

Tier S++

Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, Upenn

Tier S+

MIT, Columbia, Dartmouth, Duke, UChicago

Tier S

Brown, Cornell,  Williams, Georgetown 

Tier A

NYU, Michigan, UVa, Amherst, Northwestern

Tier B

Notre Dame, Berkeley, Emory, USC, Vanderbilt 

Tier C

UNC, IU, Carnegie Mellon, UCLA, Boston College, WashU, UT

Hi guys help me deciding between WashU and unc for bsba. I am international student and please suggest what second major should I take to become STEM designate. I am looking for a carrier in IB and where can I have the opportunity for maximum internship
Further should I stick to one of these are try for transfer at target school

I would bump Northwestern and Michigan, especially Ross up. No MS, or “congrats on Michigan,” nonsense, just stating my placement observations. I think that both are objectively more prestigious/better schools than UVA, Amherst, and NYU. 

Tbh the following is the real rank of target schools: weight (prestige 0.4, volume 0.3, per capita 0.3)

S++: (Super Super Target)

Harvard, Wharton (Basically excellent in all three criteria)

S+: (Super Target)

Yale, Princeton, MIT, Stanford, Columbia (The first four are weaker in terms of volume than S++ schools, Columbia has S++ volume and per-capita but weak in prestige than HYPSM+W)

S: (Target)

Non-Wharton Penn, Dartmouth, Brown, Cornell, UChicago, Duke (eg, all of which have less prestige than the ones above, but either strong in volume or per capita)

Tier A:

Georgetown, Northwestern, Stern, Michigan, UVA, Northwestern (Less prestige than tier S and thus weaker in per-capita, volume is up there)

- Rest

I would bump Georgetown, Northwestern, and Michigan up a tier. While they definitely aren’t as strong as Penn, UChicago, and Duke, from where I’m from, they were always perceived at about Cornell level, maybe slightly lower. All three do place well, and on the whole, I think they are better schools than NYU and UVA. The rest of this list is solid. 

NU equal prestige wise than S tier school, but weak in both volume and per capita than most tier S school. ggt similar volume and per capita than Tier S, but weak in prestige due to its admissions. E.g. rich legacy kids from Deerfield or any prep schools basically >70% accept to ggt, they are not as intellectually competitive than those go to Tier S schools. Hence, weaker prestige. For UMich, strong with EB boutique placement, but for top 3 BB banks, placement and presence are weaker than Tier S schools, prestige is weaker too. 

Generally agree with your edits, except I do think Dartmouth is an S+ target, and, from my perspective, is a better target than Yale/MIT (hot take?)

I agree. Dartmouth is indeed impressive. However, it lacks prestige than the ones in S+ and much less volume than Columbia. per capita perhaps on par

Georgetown should be S. If its per-capital/volume, Georgetown is a T3/5 school. Literally a sell-side machine where kids are sweats to get IB. Prestige is less, which I agree on (but would say similar to Cornell).

Real ones know but Yale, Princeton, MIT, Stanford and Columbia absolutely do not place lights-out in your typical IB jobs post-undergrad, especially in NY, mostly because no one wants to do IB anymore and the pipeline has weakened due to a lack of volume over the last few years. I’d feel comfortable putting S+ and S together.

I rarely see MIT and Stanford kids at my BB in NYC. Yale a bit more, and then Princeton and Columbia I see after that.

Yes. I agree. I gave prestige 0.4 in this ranking tho given everyone doing finance cares prestige so much. So Yale, Princeton, Stanford are in S+ cuz even they have similar prestige as H, W in finance, the presence isn't comparable

knock down brown and cornell from tier S. I don't know anyone who takes those over upenn CAS/duke/dartmouth/uchicago. brown has insanely low alumni in finance and cornell has ass per-capita placement

You’re on something. Neither Brown nor Cornell has a particularly big finance focus. Brown students are more focused on consulting and medicine. Cornell is generally more known as a STEM school (strong CS and engineering relative to other top schools). Both place as well as the rest of the S tier and better than the A tier schools despite schools like Georgetown, NYU/Stern and UVA being mostly finance-focused schools with maybe one other decent major (politics for Georgetown/UVA). 

Why is Williams is above Stern? Also, the only place that hires en masse from Dartmouth is Jefferies lol. If you want to include difficulty to break in, remember that Stern is in NYC and in person coffee chats go such a long way. Stern has consistent pipelines to JPM, Gugg, Barc, EVR, GHL, Citi and have had a good presence in RSSG. Stern kids get an undeserving rep of being backstabbing hardos but if your recruiting process gets fucked by someone else, you’re either ass at choosing who to trust or your gpa would have been fucked at any other school too. In fact, people here have acted selflessly and helped me way more than I could have imagined— even people I was interviewing with. MS me all you want but most of this hate is from people who haven’t gone to the school

Hey man,

Hope this message finds you well. I’m a freshman at NYU and am glad to find other loyal alumni on the site. I would like to discuss your wealth of experience (GHL/WF/SVB) over coffee sometime. I live in Gramercy Green but am happy to find a place more convenient for you. Go Bobcats!

Because everyone here gets an offer if they make a reasonable degree of effort. Meanwhile at stern you guys have got hundreds of hardos with 1550s and 3 internships striking out. Half the kids here are total freaks and the others aren’t recruiting for IB. It’s just a different game 

Definitely solid schools for other fields of finance but frankly they’re non-targets for IB. They lack the prestige and specialization necessary for placement. 

X Tier 

MIT, CalTech

S Tier

Harvard, Princeton, Wharton

A Tier

UChicago, Stanford, Yale, Columbia, Williams, Stern

B Tier

USC, Brown, Cornell, Duke, Northwestern, Georgetown, Notre Dame, Flagship publics (UCLA, Berkeley, UI, UNC, UVA, etc)

C Tier

Basically everything at this point is a wash.

Notes

(1) As always, a math/physics major from any tier is going to be automatically taken more seriously than a history major from almost any school.

(2) Schools are basically a combination of perceived prestige, student networking opportunities, and alumni support. 

Ex. Notre Dame is one of the best schools to recruit from because the alumni will go to bat for you. 

Pretty much all the state flagships except like Michigan Ross and maybe UVA are worse than the privates you put in B tier except USC. What about Vanderbilt, Emory, WashU

People know public school kids earned their grades/place, it's a toss up with private schools and finance because so many kids in the industry are nepo babies. This really matters if you went to private highschool, less if public. 

Qui ut et velit ullam porro maiores cumque. Corrupti facilis perferendis dolores ut perferendis a. Dolore aut eaque incidunt quae animi. Molestias ducimus laudantium enim dolorum debitis eius est. Aut saepe sint magni.

Vel a expedita sint molestiae. Porro debitis dolorum rerum. Iste eaque voluptas voluptatem explicabo magnam inventore sit. Et quae eius debitis sed. Sapiente nobis perspiciatis quidem quia est aut architecto. Nemo recusandae ratione ratione. Inventore aspernatur exercitationem qui asperiores.

Maiores sit ut molestiae quasi accusamus aut accusamus assumenda. Tenetur non ipsam officia rerum. Perferendis illo in tempore porro maiores sed eligendi.

Aut animi eum dolores quia accusantium aut. Explicabo animi asperiores iste expedita. Dicta aut ut non quasi perspiciatis ducimus est. Pariatur esse esse est quaerat et voluptatem ipsum. Perferendis soluta soluta unde minima et rerum. Tempora et officiis provident sequi aspernatur in voluptas. Sequi dolores omnis est laborum temporibus.

Dignissimos rerum suscipit et eaque autem rerum deleniti. Quo autem occaecati fuga esse et. Dolorem laborum eligendi corrupti eos.

Et ullam aliquid voluptate odit voluptatem magni inventore voluptatem. Inventore asperiores illum sed et debitis ut. Et delectus et occaecati aut consequuntur autem. Soluta delectus qui non tempore cupiditate molestias odit. Dignissimos est illum sunt possimus consequatur.

Sint et animi consequatur et rerum et rerum. Adipisci velit ut ut rerum iste ut quos. Voluptas ut officiis vel corporis at et numquam. Voluptatibus deleniti illum officiis quidem et. Est vel atque doloribus earum quis soluta minima. In aut qui commodi ducimus laboriosam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres No 98.9%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 25 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 04 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (21) $373
  • Associates (91) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (68) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”