MSF Class of 2019

Every year I do a post like this on about this date for students seeking admission. Most MSF/MMS program start their application cycle around this time so it is usually helpful. Prior years Q&A are listed below.

https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/msf-class-…

Ground Rules:

1) I will only answer questions from students.
2) I will answer only once. If someone has additional questions, PM me.
3) Visit my site - Masters in Finance HQ

Me - I am a 2010 graduate from top MSF program. Over a decade of finance industry experience. Advised and helped students get into nearly every MSF program. I speak with over a dozen of the main MSF program adcoms and routinely write on the specialized masters degree. I've been quoted in the NACE Journal on the subject of the MSF degree.

Note

2017 MSFHQ Masters in Finance Ranking - In Process

Best Response

My pleasure to help.

1) Great GPA and assuming your GMAT is also strong, you'll be a great candidate anywhere.

2) I like the work experience and military intelligence is a great MOS. I am sure you scored extremely well on the ASVAB if you took it.

3) I think you would be a very good candidate for MIT. LSE, you'll definitely get in. Columbia, I suppose it depends on what program, but I would say you should have little issue.

Princeton is another thing. I would encourage you to take some additional math classes as the program is in between an MSF and a MFE. Definitely make sure you meet their quant pre-requisites.

Side note - I would encourage you to try and find work right away. You have what looks to be the beginnings of a great MBA profile. The MBA is still the preferred career degree and I think you should have no problem finding a good finance career. Being a reservist and working in IB might be tough though. Maybe consider corporate banking or something a little more forgiving, and then hit IB later on as an associate.

Food for thought. Good luck and thanks for the question.

To all genuinely seeking advice in this thread: take BillBelichick37 and wsorookie789's comments with a grain of salt. They're very anti-MSF and insist on letting everyone know on any post about the degree

Thanks for the questions.

1) UTA is the best school for those who know they want to work in Texas. I don't think you can find a better brand.

2) https://www.mccombs.utexas.edu/~/media/Images/MSF%20Responsive/infograp…

Here is their placement report. What is nice about the program is that they have placements outside of finance, which is helpful for those who want consulting or something different.

You will see a number of Texas employers on that list. Below are a brief list of 2013 employers:

Citi, Evercore, Goldman, Jefferies, Raymond James, Keybanc, RBC, American Airlines, Apple, Ebay, Pepsi, KPMG, McKinsey,

So the MSF program has alumni working in Texas, in those fields that you can network with. The school obviously has great OCR with tons of Texas firms and the brand name within Texas is second to none. The program has been around for number of years now and has really developed nicely.

To answer your question, it is extremely good.

Hope that helps!

Hi there Anthony

Are you familiar with programs aimed at research? I want to do my masters in finance(preferable a two years one) and I'm looking for advice. My end goal is to attend the best Ph.D. program I can (in U.S / finance or accounting since I enjoy the research prospect of both) and get a job in some medium/ lower tier state college (think Lincoln Nebraska). My original plan was to strengthen my CV and apply for 2019, but since the situation in my country (Iran) is not so good right now, I'm applying this year to at least test the waters.

My GPA is 3.33 (Industrial engineering) and my GMAT is 750 (Q50/V42). I'm also taking CFA 1 this December and will most likely pass. I don't have any work experience or internship, no interesting hobbies, not anything really. So I'm not sure if I have any chance. (I'm 24 BTW). On top of all these, I have a budget of $60,000. this is supposed to cover my living costs for two years and pay for my studies. Which means I have to get a need-based scholarship at the very least.

These are the programs I'm going to apply to

1. Bocconi: ESS / Finance
  2. Tinbergen: MPhil finance
  3. SSE: Finance
  4. St.Gallen: MiQE/F / Banking & finance

I'm not applying to any programs located in us, Canada or UK since they don't have scholarships for international students. (at least that's the impression I got). I might also apply to some cheap french programs and esade in Spain. So what do you think? Do you know any programs in the US which are cheap enough for me to attend or offer a scholarship? are there any other programs I should apply to? any advice is much appreciated.

Many thanks

What is nice about European programs is most of them are longer and most have a thesis required. Bocconi offers scholarships based on gmat scores (which yours is great). They are two years and have a thesis. My buddy is finishing up there and his recruiting has been great (I say this to confirm the top reputation the school has).

St Gallen and SSE are also both great programs. Top US programs will know and respect these schools.

Tinbergen, IMO, would be slightly below these other schools, but the Mphi is more a academic degree, which would align with your goals.

If your goal is academic research, I would focus on degree price and relationships with professors. You want a program where you will have some opportunity to work closely with the professors, maybe even helping them with research. This will help boost your PhD chances. If you can find this at a SSE or Bocconi type program, all the better.

Hope this helps. Shoot me a PM if you want me to connect you to my friend at Bocconi.

As an MSF grad who was in retail prior to my program, I want to say that @TNA" is the best person to get advice from on the MSF on this website and bellicheck and wsorookie are trolls who need to be almost entirely ignored. Honestly, AndyLouis or WallStreetOasis.com just need to delete their posts from this thread. They are derailing what should be a helpful resource for those considering MSFs.

With that said, If you are on track for a top MBA program (top 20 or so) then avoid the MSF unless it is MIT/ Vandy. Like TNA said, the MBA program is still preferred in the United States. I would like to avoid an MBA but realize to reach my end-goal I might need one, that is something I will have to assess about 2-3 years from now depending on how my career develops.

Array

Question to you. You seem to have a good gig right now. Why not stay there or try and get a FT offer from that firm.

1) I would try networking, at least a little. Great GPA and major. You have finance experience. I could see you being an enticing candidate for healthcare IB, or something similar.

2) MSF - If I were you, I would take some of those pre-requisite classes at a local community college or talk to the MIT adcoms about their quant bootcamp. You might not need the classes after all.

MIT should 100% be top of your list. Followed by Columbia. You'd be accepted with scholarship money at Vanderbilt, no doubt. Let me know if you want an intro to MIT or Vandy also.

LSE/LBS - You should be fine there as well. Your stats are great. Do well on the GMAT (I know you will) and you will be fine.

Good luck!

This thread has been completely hijacked by anti-MSF crusaders. While I agree that the MSF program is not a great channel to IB, and that BB IB placements are almost nonexistent, the tone here is unproductive.

“Elections are a futures market for stolen property”

GPA is OK. Not poor, not great. GMAT - higher end puts you in the middle/slightly above the average for schools. If it comes in on the lower end, you will be barely at average.

So all and all, I would say your application is OK, but nothing special. Are you domestic or international? I ask because the average scores for domestic students tend to be lower than for internationals.

Advice - 1) Higher GMAT will help offset your lower GPA. 2) Apply early for Vanderbilt and WUSTL. USC is new and they tend to favor better stats. I'd honestly give you a lower chance there than at WUSTL and Vanderbilt.

Columbia, no clue. Your stats seem low, but they have so many masters program. If your GMAT is 700 or above, I would say apply. If lower, I would say pass. Up to you.

JHU - Accepted with those stats. Same for a number of other programs. Your issue is going to be your work experience is weak, these programs have less OCR support and you'll have to work harder to find a job. If you are a domestic, things will be easier. If you are an international, be prepared to return home for a job.

IMO - if you have a decent job opportunity, I would do that for a year. You might like it and if you don't, at least you will have some additional money and your resume will be stronger for re-applying.

Campus visit is a good sign. They will usually pair you with a current student to show you around. Interview - as mentioned above, be able to articulate why an MSF, why Vanderbilt, how this will help your career, what do you want to do, walk through your resume. Behavioral stuff.

You're going to love the campus. I am supposed to go back pretty soon myself. Make sure you meet with Blake. He is amazing.

Kellogg - they like non business majors ha. Not much more to add, TBH. Good stats from applicants, It is a general management masters. I'm sure they would be more responsive to people wanting to be part of Kellogg, looking for leadership roles, etc.

UVA/Kellogg/Vanderbilt - what do you want to do, what is your background?

Vandy/UVA/Kellogg, without knowing anything else. If you are leaning towards non-finance roles, I would say UVA/Kellogg+Vanderbilt. UVA has a dual track and the school is a target. Kellogg is great, but I don't think they put as much focus on placements as UVA and Vanderbilt does.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (20) $385
  • Associates (89) $259
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”