NYU Stern + $150K debt or Minnesota Carlson for UG Finance

I've been accepted to both schools. I didn't receive any financial aid at NYU, and my parents are willing to pay for $100K, leaving me to cover $150K through loans and jobs. My parents are fully capable of paying for the whole thing, but they want to see me contribute some.

I plan to major in finance, and I'm not sure about my exact career path yet. I'm thinking either consulting or top Asset Management, but sentencing myself to IBD is not out of the question. I also hope to pursue a top MBA within 5-7 years of graduating, hopefully at HBS or Wharton.

I have also been waitlisted at Cornell and Dartmouth, so please offer suggestions on these as well in the case that I am accepted into one of them.

Is NYU worth $150K debt in the long-run when compared to the opportunities I would have coming out of the University of Minnesota, especially when considering my hopes to get an MBA?

How does one even go about paying off this huge amount of debt?

Thanks!

27 Comments
 
Best Response
holla_backTaking on $150k in debt to attend NYU is absolutely fucking bonkers.

This. Go Carlson, but you'd have a better chance of landing w/Piper, Lazard MM, Harris Williams, HLHZ, etc. than top asset mgmt or consulting spots. Not saying it is impossible, but Carlson feeds better into the MM IB groups.

They did send a girl to RBC IBD in NYC (she turned down HLHZ and a few others in town), but generally you won't end up in NYC from there.

 
peinvestor2012
holla_backTaking on $150k in debt to attend NYU is absolutely fucking bonkers.

This. Go Carlson, but you'd have a better chance of landing w/Piper, Lazard MM, Harris Williams, HLHZ, etc. than top asset mgmt or consulting spots. Not saying it is impossible, but Carlson feeds better into the MM IB groups.

They did send a girl to RBC IBD in NYC (she turned down HLHZ and a few others in town), but generally you won't end up in NYC from there.

I agree that your MM opps will be better than opps on either coast at Carlson. That said they do have some alumni on the street.

 

$150k in debt is absurd for undergrad business at Stern. Carlson places fine into MM IBD and has a handful of people go to MBB or Deloitte (as well as several lower tier firms). PM me if you want some more specific employment numbers.

 
peinvestor2012
soccerplayerc1If you go to carlson wanting to get into ibd your a fucking retard. It'd be like going to taco bell for a hamburger. All the actions out east or in san fran so try a school out there. Heck Rutgers or Pace would even give you a better shot.

Says the guy that has never worked in the field.

yep
[quote=Dirk Dirkenson]Shut up already. Your mindless, reflexive responses to any critical thought on this are tedious. You're also probably a woman, given the name and "xoxo" signoff, so maybe the lack of judgment is to be expected.[/quote]
 
soccerplayerc1If you go to carlson wanting to get into ibd your a fucking retard. It'd be like going to taco bell for a hamburger. All the actions out east or in san fran so try a school out there. Heck Rutgers or Pace would even give you a better shot.

nope

[quote=Dirk Dirkenson]Shut up already. Your mindless, reflexive responses to any critical thought on this are tedious. You're also probably a woman, given the name and "xoxo" signoff, so maybe the lack of judgment is to be expected.[/quote]
 

now way dude. i wouldnt even do stern MBA for $100k

"...the art of good business, is being a good middle man, putting people togeather. It's all about honor and respect."
 

Okay, so the overwhelming consensus is that Stern is not worth it in this situation.

Would Darmouth or Cornell be worth about $80K debt?

Also, is it possible (and by that I mean not incredibly difficult in comparison to Stern, as the IB gap would be) to pursue a career in top asset management, such as the one detailed in the thread "Life at a Top Asset Manager" with a UG finance major from Carlson?

 
willkraft253Okay, so the overwhelming consensus is that Stern is not worth it in this situation.

Would Darmouth or Cornell be worth about $80K debt?

Also, is it possible (and by that I mean not incredibly difficult in comparison to Stern, as the IB gap would be) to pursue a career in top asset management, such as the one detailed in the thread "Life at a Top Asset Manager" with a UG finance major from Carlson?

I would take on $80k for Dartmouth.

 
willkraft253Okay, so the overwhelming consensus is that Stern is not worth it in this situation.

Would Darmouth or Cornell be worth about $80K debt?

Also, is it possible (and by that I mean not incredibly difficult in comparison to Stern, as the IB gap would be) to pursue a career in top asset management, such as the one detailed in the thread "Life at a Top Asset Manager" with a UG finance major from Carlson?

Dartmouth and Cornell are both better schools than NYU, broadly speaking.

I'm never even heard of Carlson, so I wouldn't recommend that if you want to work in NYC.

 

Dartmouth over Cornell. Cornell over NYU and Carlson. 80k in debt is worth it for Dartmouth and Cornell. 150k is absurd for NYU but you'll have way better chances to break into business than if you go to Carlson. But if you end up screwing up recruiting at NYU and land no jobs or less competitive jobs, you'll be really pissed about the debt. Not every NYU Stern kid is going to get a top IB job or whatever. Even at Harvard, there are people that strike out.

Were these really the only schools you applied to?? If you got wait listed at Cornell and Dartmouth, you probably have a good enough profile to get into a school somewhere between Cornell and NYU Stern in selectiveness. I'd maybe consider rocking your first year wherever you go and then transferring but that can be really shitty for your college experience.

 

These were the only schools I got into. I also got rejected by Wharton, Harvard, and Northwestern. I definitely should have applied to more match schools though.

Can anyone shed light on the difference in opportunities for top asset management at these schools?

I'm also interested in entrepreneurship. Is it possible, or even logical to start a business after college with that much loan debt? I don't have a specific idea or even an industry in mind yet, but it sounds interesting and I don't want to limit myself in that area yet.

 

can you appeal for more money from Stern? If you can get 10-15k more per year then that brings your debt to 90-110k if you choose to go. if you want to work in nyc ib thats pretty much your only option

 

Voluptatum dolor qui commodi necessitatibus sit placeat soluta quae. Veniam iste laboriosam omnis iusto. Laudantium explicabo optio nihil dolorem officia consectetur eos et. Autem facilis neque excepturi aspernatur omnis perferendis. Amet facilis sed veniam. Tempore molestiae harum molestiae omnis. Deserunt laudantium culpa enim sint rerum sunt.

Dolores velit ut ut incidunt. Nihil maxime nihil eum autem reprehenderit. Id vel quam et et quibusdam suscipit laudantium. Consequatur officia quod labore ut est perferendis pariatur. Debitis doloribus hic sunt enim. Et aut voluptatem quas odit odit voluptatibus voluptas. Ut molestiae est velit.

 

Neque libero id temporibus. Voluptas aut laborum quos voluptates non id. Necessitatibus officiis doloribus iusto quos.

Eveniet aut possimus amet sit velit. Necessitatibus nemo alias voluptate aperiam omnis.

Possimus magnam aut recusandae. Pariatur nesciunt mollitia autem consequatur saepe non doloribus et. Enim aut impedit et sapiente dignissimos. Sequi eaque iusto modi nobis atque dolorem facilis ut.

Distinctio aut sed quaerat consequatur. Voluptatem voluptatum ratione libero perspiciatis quo dolorum. Dolores voluptates minus praesentium incidunt quam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”