Applying for S&T SA 2025 roles next year as a masters' student at target (non-finance) graduating 2026

Hi, 

I posted on r/financialcareers under a throwaway account but I didn't receive any responses so I wanted to post here and hear about people's opinions. 

So I graduated recently with a degree from a UK target. However, due to personal circumstances where I ended up having to look after siblings (they were diagnosed with severe conditions that required round-the-clock care during my studies) and my parents were not in the right frame of mind to look after them, I had to juggle my studies during COVID, reduce my involvement in societies and look after them all up until my graduation. As a result, I never got an opportunity to apply for SA roles because I wasn't in the process of these opportunities given the stress I was under. 

Since then, I've worked in various sectors. I've worked in private equity for 3 months (very boutique small firm) and in consulting. I now help with my department who are able to pay me regularly to be able to help my siblings' education and treatment/therapy.

I wanted to now apply for a 2025/26 Masters at my target university in a non-finance program (STEM-focused masters in commodities-type) that I am really interested in and also get a scholarship that would cover all my studies and provide me with funds to be able to live for the year of study. To do this, I would apply this year and then defer my entry to 2024/25. My intention is to apply to a 2025 SA with a 2026 graduation. I have an opportunity to work in tech for 12-18 months in the meantime thanks to a generous person in my network which I intend to take in 2024.

I'm worried however that given my age by 2026 (25 years old), I would not be considered for SA roles. I wanted to ask on your views here regarding this matter. I also wanted to ask about whether the masters I am doing would affect my chances. I know people who have studied non-finance masters at my university and have secured S&T roles so I wanted to try this since I am now in a better place than before. I think that by 2026, the market should have improved sufficiently to some degree and I'd be able to cope better now that my personal circumstances are more settled.

Thank you and I'd be happy to answer any other questions

Hey there!

First off, I want to commend you for your resilience and dedication to your family. It's clear you've had to juggle a lot, and it's impressive that you're still so focused on your career goals.

Now, let's talk about your concerns. Age shouldn't be a major factor when it comes to SA roles. The key is to demonstrate your passion for the industry, your knowledge, and your ability to contribute. Being 25 and having a diverse background could actually be a plus, as it shows maturity and life experience that can be valuable in a work setting.

As for your master's program, a non-finance degree isn't necessarily a disadvantage. In fact, a STEM-focused master's could provide a unique perspective and skill set that could be very attractive to employers, especially in areas like S&T where quantitative skills are highly valued.

The most important thing is to make sure you're able to articulate why you're interested in S&T and how your education and experiences have prepared you for it.

In terms of the job market in 2026, it's hard to predict exactly what it will look like. However, the finance industry is always evolving and there will likely be opportunities for those who are adaptable and eager to learn.

So, go ahead and apply for that master's program and the SA roles. You've got a unique story and a lot of determination, which can go a long way.

Remember, the path to success isn't always a straight line. Keep your chin up and keep pushing forward. You've got this!

Sources: Australian Non Finance Pathways?, Over 30, still no undergrad, finance career options?, Am I missing something about buyside exits?, .

I'm an AI bot trained on the most helpful WSO content across 17+ years.

Hi WSO monkey bot, 

thank you!

Does anyone who is not an AI bot have a second opinion?

Many thanks!

Thank you for posting! I am in a very similar situation (target school - stem major - family situation so didn't recruit - applying for master's), and I am also thinking about the same things. From what I heard, most positions do not look for graduates, but you can sometimes bypass the HR requirement if you have good network. Would love to connect and talk to someone with a similar path. 

Most S&T programs are rotational, your skill set is a bit more niche. There are commodities desks at investment banks, but it's unlikely SAs will work at them. You might want to try and apply for commodities focused prop shops / hedge funds instead of investment banks, then apply for a S&T commodities role.

de888

Most S&T programs are rotational, your skill set is a bit more niche. There are commodities desks at investment banks, but it's unlikely SAs will work at them. You might want to try and apply for commodities focused prop shops / hedge funds instead of investment banks, then apply for a S&T commodities role.

Hi there, 

The course I am applying to is more to do with materials and metals from a STEM perspective (almost materials-science ish). I have done other work on rates and also in credit (to do with capital raising with LPs) in my first internship. it is just that my STEM undergrad background also aligns well to the materials / metals i.e. commodities side, which is why I said "commodities-type" but I have got exposure to other areas like credit, fixed income and small amounts of FX from previous work experience. 

Am aware of someone who did a masters' in environment and interned at MS/GS/JPM from my university but had a MM SA (Jefferies/HSBC/RBC) in equities trading prior to doing his masters so not 100% sure if the Jefferies opportunity gave him more of a role. Also was diversity-represented too, if that helps. 

Am happy to provide further info for clarity if necessary.

Animi aut vel illum minus ut. Ratione aut similique est quo ullam corrupti. Ex repellat voluptatum sit aperiam. Qui et quia possimus. Debitis earum sit non voluptatem omnis eaque voluptas.

Tempora in reiciendis rerum eum. Voluptas tempora ea numquam ut et.

Eius tenetur suscipit incidunt ut neque quibusdam aut. Neque sint ratione repudiandae voluptatem inventore voluptatem ut. Iste voluptatem aut enim natus similique id quas. Neque aliquid voluptatem ab voluptates dicta.

Pariatur accusamus totam et et temporibus nemo sit. Aut tenetur illum rerum aperiam tempora. Est amet et consequatur eligendi molestias. Qui et fugiat accusamus quia inventore. Molestias fuga non ullam et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”