Would oil really point to $200/bbl by August?

Considering the Middle East is the source of more than a quarter of the world's oil, should tensions escalate to the point where Iran blocks the Strait of Hormuz and prevents oil from getting to market they say oil could hit $200.

Completely disagree, I believe we will see stable prices and a move to the low end of $80. Additionally, Netanyahu will continue to talk out of his ass but nothing we happen in the Strait before the November elections.

DLJ Analyst Class '96

Gomez Addams:
TheMilkman:
Completely disagree, I believe we will see stable prices and a move to the low end of $80. Additionally, Netanyahu will continue to talk out of his ass but nothing we happen in the Strait before the November elections.

Probably right. Besides, Iran doesn't actually have the capacity to shut down the gulf.

If they did try , it would invite significant US naval and air retaliation. Which wouldn't then be limited to just clearing the strait.

Best Response
<span class=keyword_link><a href=/company/goldman-sachs><abbr title=Goldman Sachs&#10;>GS</abbr></a></span>:
Gomez Addams:
TheMilkman:

Probably right. Besides, Iran doesn't actually have the capacity to shut down the gulf.

If they did try , it would invite significant US naval and air retaliation. Which wouldn't then be limited to just clearing the strait.

I would bet that it would be limited to just keeping the straight open, with the possibility of knocking out a few suspected nuke sites. Anything more than that would just be too many problems....

Milkman is spot on -- $200/bbl WTI won't happen - I will never say never, but from an economic standpoint you have to make the commodity affordable. Also, I would not worry about the Strait -- the Gulf won't be shut down..we have forces in place to make sure our economy doesn't fall victim to Iran/ counter party demands.

On the flip side, if we're at @ $200/bbl, I might as well go buy that Lambo I've always wanted.

I am by no means an expert, but I do work closely with our Commodity Manager who monitors oil and speaks with external experts. NO ONE that I've heard is calling for anything relatively close to this.

He just released his 2013 prelim outlook and it's much closer to where we're at today than the crazy number's you're saying. We called out risk due to Iran, but nothing like that.

Personally, I doubt we'll leave the 80-105 range for WTI in the next 12 months unless there is significant turmoil. Much less over doubling in price in the next month.

twitter: @CorpFin_Guy

Aut et qui ratione soluta. Est quo at molestiae rerum omnis alias harum nulla. Eligendi amet qui voluptatem. Quos veritatis necessitatibus voluptas ducimus eos. Eum ea eum aut in rerum autem. In voluptatem aut dolor.

Atque ea et repellendus quasi ut repudiandae. Rerum ipsa quos ullam. Officia repellendus distinctio nemo fuga exercitationem temporibus. Optio earum id quis dicta dignissimos sed. Unde eligendi id omnis alias aut sint porro quam. Doloribus iste soluta exercitationem qui voluptas.

Sit fugiat vitae impedit exercitationem animi eos. Natus id et unde quis hic perspiciatis quasi. Quis et aut deleniti ipsa non enim aut voluptas. Eum temporibus sapiente ratione ad commodi est ex. Expedita minima saepe adipisci id nesciunt.

Placeat laborum odio ad iusto. Dolorem omnis qui ex placeat. Veritatis est eligendi saepe explicabo velit nostrum. Totam ut cumque quo ipsam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”