$100k for startup

After I save up 100k, I want to leave the industry. I only have rudimentary programming skills so a tech start up without a developer won't work. I really want to start a something like a smoothie shop, but think it'll be too much. What viable startup ideas are there with $100k capital?

Given that I just went through this decision process, you need to save up more than just your initial investment into the company. You also need to make sure that you have enough set aside for living expenses plus emergency funds over the next couple of years, depending on your company's time to market.

I feel you on the desire to do something non-tech / non-internet based. I'm also working on something non-tech in my off-hours. My feelings are essentially, try and find something you can work on while you have a day job and live frugally so you can save cash and put cash into your venture. That way, you can feel secure and work towards making your business viable without serious risk.

Small store, food service or retail may suffice with 100k-add a couple grand here and there with family and friends(living costs and legal BS).

Ever think about using other peoples money? Thats the real American dream.

How much equity capital / credit score / solid business plan do you need to incorporate a lot of leverage into the mix? I've heard apartment complex developers / owners are highly leveraged up to 75% of the initial investment and can see IRR's in the 30-40% range year-over-year due to the leverage and tax savings on interest expense.

Like OP, I would like to eventually own my own business of some kind after saving anywhere from $100-500k. Would be even better if I could go it in a non-US country with a lower cost of living and really make those greenbacks work for me.

My name is Nicky, but you can call me Dre.

Best Response

If you want to open a smoothie shop or something in that range...

Just get an SBA loan. You dont need to put up all your cash for it. 10% down for the loan and you are good to go. Anyone can get an SBA loan. Its a joke. Your 'business plan' and 'projections' is a 1 page of bullshit with some more bullshit numbers in a 3 year projection template that you take a swing at. As long as you are showing 'realistic' numbers in your projections, have the down payment, and ok credit you will be good to go with an SBA.

Only down side of an SBA loan - they will take out 1st or 2nds on basically everything you own in order to get enough collateral to cover themselves. Oh and its a bit more expensive with fees (you can roll that into the loan) and higher interest rates (WSJ Prime + 1) then a traditional loan.

Traditional financing for say Real Estate is around a 40 - 60% down payment. Around 80% of banks are not lending on commercial right now, but if the commercial property is leased with a decent tenant then you can get a loan on it with the 40-60% down. Interest rates run 4-6%.

Multi family properties you can get interest rates as low as 3.5% right now. Banks are eating those up w/ 40% down.

You can also get an SBA loan for real estate, but only if you occupy at least 51% of the building. SBA wont do loans on real estate for investing.

Qui magni autem sed rerum adipisci laborum. Officiis natus autem voluptatem et possimus.

Consequatur ut vero sequi occaecati necessitatibus voluptatem. Est similique sint quia voluptatem voluptas.

Dolores et corrupti aut. Ex sunt ad quidem eveniet. Sit eaque nobis natus ducimus architecto animi recusandae dolorum. Placeat laborum quam est nemo.

My name is Nicky, but you can call me Dre.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (88) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”