Comments (33)

Jan 2, 2011

Anybody who speculates about this on an online forum is either crazy or stupid.

I will say that there has been a shift from bonuses to fixed comp, so the discussion this year might be a lot less interesting than it would have been in years' past.

Jan 2, 2011
IlliniProgrammer:

Anybody who speculates about this on an online forum is either crazy or stupid.

I will say that there has been a shift from bonuses to fixed comp, so the discussion this year might be a lot less interesting than it would have been in years' past.

I thought speculating was the norm? Did I not read about some crackdown or something?

I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing.

Jan 2, 2011

I just wanted to get a general idea of where the analyst (1st and 2nd year) bonuses will be - aren't numbers coming out in a couple of weeks?

Jan 2, 2011

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=analyst+bonuses
Sorry I can't help you more- already risking an uncomfortable conversation with HR for even having a vague discussion about them.

Jan 2, 2011

IP, do you think comp structure will be much changed for barcap IBD analysts? Much of the talk in the news has been of either senior bankers or S&T analysts. There was a Bloomberg article from november that talked about potential looming layoffs at barcap that was troublesome.

People tend to think life is a race with other people. They don't realize that every moment they spend sprinting towards the finish line is a moment they lose permanently, and a moment closer to their death.

Learn More

Boost your resume and land a finance job by passing the FINRA SIE. 264 pages & 1981 smart flashcards written by a former 8X top Fidelity instructor. Try it for 0 bananas here.

Jan 2, 2011

yeah... um...
anyway MJP338, first year S&T bonuses typically look like $60,000 and 2nd years ball-park $80,000.

If your bank is putting its first years on the year-end cycle right away, then you can expect something like $30,000

And yeah, they come out in a few weeks.

That's how 1st and 2nd year numbers always look (there is no shift in income from "floating to fixed" at that level)

Jan 2, 2011

id bump that down like 20-25% this year as comp pools are down at most shops. we've already been told the pool is down in that ballpark and ive heard the same from friends at other banks. we havent gotten #'s yet though

Jan 2, 2011
analyst26:

id bump that down like 20-25% this year as comp pools are down at most shops. we've already been told the pool is down in that ballpark and ive heard the same from friends at other banks. we havent gotten #'s yet though

Nah.... first year bonus pools are the least volatile bonus number at most firms... because in some cases, its decided even before the kids start. I'm willing to bet (a lot) that they aren't gonna drop the number from 60k to 45k for first years... unless u work for Morgan Stanley lol

Jan 2, 2011
FXTrader:
analyst26:

Nah.... first year bonus pools are the least volatile bonus number at most firms... because in some cases, its decided even before the kids start. I'm willing to bet (a lot) that they aren't gonna drop the number from 60k to 45k for first years... unless u work for Morgan Stanley lol

hahahah zing!

Jan 2, 2011

ha fair point....

Jan 2, 2011

^Why what happened at MS?

Jan 2, 2011
randombetch:

^Why what happened at MS?

google Morgan Stanley Bonsus 2010 to see what we are talking about.

Jan 2, 2011
Jan 2, 2011

Thanks FXTrader, silver 'nana.

Jan 2, 2011

I'm not incredibly optimistic if that makes you feel better.

Jan 2, 2011
Revsly:

lol keep your bonus in British Pounds and hope to make up the difference

Jan 3, 2011
creditderivatives:
Revsly:

lol keep your bonus in British Pounds and hope to make up the difference

Haha I will, but the pound sucks right now. Fortunately though that's actually a good thing since the numbers are dollar denominated.

Jan 2, 2011

I'm hearing rumors of PS15-18k stub (6 months) for first years in a certain BB in London, but numbers aren't out yet so it's just mindless speculation.

Jan 3, 2011
Omoba De Jonz O:

I'm hearing rumors of PS15-18k stub (6 months) for first years in a certain BB in London, but numbers aren't out yet so it's just mindless speculation.

IMHO if true and given a decent second half bonus that's not too bad considering the significant raises in base etc.

If I remember correctly 3 years ago base was 36k or 38k for FO

Jan 3, 2011
JimYoung:
Omoba De Jonz O:

IMHO if true and given a decent second half bonus that's not too bad considering the significant raises in base etc.

If I remember correctly 3 years ago base was 36k or 38k for FO

Yup went from 36 to 42 to 45 in almost no time, and I heard rumors that Barcap will raise first year base to 50 this year. If true, I'd expect other banks to follow suit.

Jan 3, 2011

can someone just tell me why people on this forum would still sell their mother to work at Morgan Stanley? its performance in S&T is the worst of all the BB's. its very strange to me, they have been dramatically under performing for 2 years, yet no one seems to notice or care. are people that enamored with brand name that they don't look at performance at all anymore? seems like allot of people are going to get a wake up call when they start working.

Jan 3, 2011
awm55:

can someone just tell me why people on this forum would still sell their mother to work at Morgan Stanley? its performance in S&T is the worst of all the BB's. its very strange to me, they have been dramatically under performing for 2 years, yet no one seems to notice or care. are people that enamored with brand name that they don't look at performance at all anymore? seems like allot of people are going to get a wake up call when they start working.

I'm also curious about this, as I'm in IBD and am curious to learn more about MS' S&T rep. All I've heard so far is that MS S&T is good in commodities and equities.

Jan 3, 2011
awm55:

For IBD, the franchise is still there. For S&T, new analysts probably just latch onto the prestige, and hope MS's ill fate will undergo a turnaround in the next few years, putting them in a good position when things get good again.

Jan 3, 2011
awm55:

They are still solid in IBD, Prime Brokerage, Equities, and Commodities, but absolutely suck ass for the rest of FICC (I guess FIC technically). People can still accept MS because it is still a BB with a strong alumni network. Unless the product is something you absolutely want to do, any BB S&T offer is better than a MS FIC offer.

Jan 4, 2011

It's worth nothing that MS is not only solid in COMMOD but along with Goldman, far and away the best. GS and MS own the COMMOD market.

Jan 25, 2011
MJP338:

It's worth nothing that MS is not only solid in COMMOD but along with Goldman, far and away the best. GS and MS own the COMMOD market.

hmmm... I thought MS already divested their commodity desk because of Volcker rule... I asked someone from MS FID the other day. He confimred it. so, whats your source that "GS and MS own the COMMOD market"?

Jan 19, 2011

So anyone get their numbers? Disappointing?

Jan 20, 2011

what is the total compensation one can expect this year (salary +bonus+ signing bonus, etc.) for 1st year analyst here?

Jan 25, 2011

All in for me this year was $150k, I did however take 1 month off for the world cup, missed the first 2 weeks of training, missed 2 days of work waiting in line at Apple, missed 2 days when I got arrested, 2 days for a bachelor party & took 14 sick days.

Jan 25, 2011

14 sick days... damn

Jan 26, 2011

and for anyone wondering how much fun BB MO is...

my post-tax bonus will just about cover two months of car expenses

Jan 26, 2011
Comment

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford

Jan 26, 2011