2010 FT Salaries CHARLOTTE vs NY

So I got several offers from firms in NY and in CLT and had this as breakdown:
BAML: $70 + $10 (NY)
Wells: $70 + $10 (CLT or NY)
Boutique: $60 + $5 (CLT)

My question is, is the Wells # wierd or is the Boutique # weird? I definitely want to work at the Boutique, and will honestly probably work there either way, and $65k in CLT goes a real long way, but I'm just curious if I should attempt to negotiate a little or not

Take either BoA or WF. I would do BoA if you get ML legacy group or a solid bank in general. I would do WF if you like their culture and the fact that they are rising FAST. I think BoA still is a bit better than WF but factors such as groups and culture matter, so pick on preferences.

Don't take a boutique over the previous two though. BB > no name.

If you want the boutique, then congrats. Don't listen to people pushing the BB, to each his own. With negotiating I say go for it, but go lightly. As you said 65 goes a long way in Charlotte and you don't want to have a black mark on your name when just starting out. Maybe one of the career help people have more specific advice. Good luck.

ultratrader89:
loser above me works at a boutique lol

wells and bank of america is def better than a crap boutique

This is the second time in two days that I have seen douche-bag like posts from ultratrader. We all know you went to Duke (who is probably an Asian with a really small dick, no offense to any other Asians on this board) and think you are the man.

If you don't have something constructive to say with regard to this kids offer then don't. In reality, you are the last person who he needs to hear from. You opinion is derived from what others have written on this board and a few classmates. How about you leave that to us who already work on WS.

ultratrader - are you off of your meds? calm down and get back to class. hold off on talking out of your ass about an adult decision until you get an internship. bitch.

tip #1 - don't negotiate for more money. splitting hairs over $5k for an entry job is only going to lead you to bad places (offer withdrawn, bad rep before you set foot in the door).

tip #2 - go with bb over boutique, unless as mentioned about its a prestigious boutique. bb will get you better training and networking while there, and better exit ops when leaving.

Best Response

OP: Congratulations on your offers. I'm sure you must be happy.

To answer your original question, it's not worth trying to negotiate salary. In the end, the 5k won't make a material difference, but the potential negativity could really hurt your reputation at a small place.

I would also echo the post above me. For someone who doesn't have an offer on the street or seem to know anything about it, he's overly opinionated.

If you do change your mind as to working at the boutique, assuming you liked the people equally, I would choose BoA ML.

Wells and Wachovia were both primarily retail banks with a MM investment banking focus. While it is now a huge bank, with great potential to build out its investment banking business, it will take years and years before it is on the same level as the other BBs.

sternmasta:
lots of toolish asians in this thread.

also lots of losers in here trying to defend their loser boutiques offering 60k and prob a 20k bonus lol.

take wf or boa

Speaking of "toolish", sternmasta=Dan Bush?

my opinion go with Wells or BAML.

1 - Better exit ops than a boutique 2 - The possibility of working on more deals with a BB as the dealflow might be better than the boutique depending on your group 3 - Don't negotiate the salary with the boutique. I think your decision should be between WF (CL), based on the cheaper costs of living in CL and still being able to work for a BB that is growing.

but culture does play a big part. If you feel that BAML is that much better go there. You have to look out for yourself and think about where you want to be 5 to 10 years from now. Exit Ops from a BB, and the higher pay, should be enough to at least push you away from the boutique.

Either way congratulations on your offers and best of luck!

Consequatur nisi non placeat. Accusantium quo ea veniam quibusdam sunt. Quis atque consequatur sunt sequi. Et amet tempora excepturi nulla officiis. Sint hic pariatur veniam voluptatem esse.

Consequuntur aliquam esse commodi libero id labore. Harum ea quia quas hic officia laudantium expedita. Aut ipsam autem autem.

Officia tenetur magni harum et. Nobis et explicabo facere culpa omnis dolores sint. Ducimus sit necessitatibus cumque mollitia.

Delectus eum eius dolore omnis accusamus. Velit culpa earum totam nihil aut aut. Adipisci ipsum sit et inventore eveniet et culpa itaque. Ut eos qui porro placeat.

Molestiae doloribus ipsam eius ullam suscipit fugit. Et enim soluta saepe dolorem facilis.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”