2019 On-Cycle PE Recruiting: Headhunter Ranking

Recruited on-cycle in early December and signed with an upper MM buyout fund in NYC starting Summer 2019 (flagship fund size: $6-9 bn; AUM: $20-40 bn).

Lazy Friday in the office and wanted to contribute here somehow - figured one helpful angle could be an update on the relevancy and efficacy of various headhunters at the Pre-MBA Associate level. The below commentary is purely applicable to private equity recruiting.

Best Private Equity Recruiting Firms

1. Career Partners Inc. (CPI):

Client list on website. Speaks for itself. Seem to place materially more Pre-MBA Associates than any other headhunter. Impersonal vibe initially, but helpful once you earn their respect. Expect a few technicals in your initial meeting. Lighter on the MFs and heavier on the Upper MMs. They were in constant contact when the process kicked off - called me several times per day with opportunities.

2. Henkel Search Partners (HSP):

Client list distributed to candidates in initial meetings. SG spin-off that has taken noticeable share over the past few years. Initial meeting took the deepest dive into my deals, with CPI probably second. MFs: KKR; Carlyle; Warburg. Upper MMs: CD&R; BC Partners; BDT. MMs: AEA; Audax; Searchlight; etc.

3. Amity Search Partners:

Client list e-mailed to candidates after initial meetings. Another SG spin-off that has eclipsed SG. More of a boutique feel. Highly personal. MFs: Bain. Upper MMs: Centerbridge; Towerbrook. Growth: Summit. MMs: Kohlberg; HGGC; Vestar; Roark; etc. Note: Apollo appears on website but was not on widely distributed client list this year.

4. Dynamics Search Partners (DSP):

Client list not distributed to my knowledge. Arguably stronger for HFs. Uniquely strong PE presence in TX and CA. Only names I can give with certainty: Apax; LG&P; Vista; GTCR. Frequently claim to prefer having one large PE client per city to avoid conflicts of interest.

5. SG Partners:

Owned the space before my time. Memorably easy initial meeting. Twelve minutes of smiling and listening. Still have Blackstone and TPG as legacy relationships. Also: Crestview; ABRY; etc. Probably missing some MM names. These were the only four they showed me.

6. The Oxbridge Group:

Client list not distrbuted to my knowledge. Seem to play largely in the middle market. Good people. Highly professional reputation. Been around forever. Deserve a higher ranking on here for those not looking at MFs or Upper MM shops. A few random names I can offer: NEP; Castanea; Pritzker.

7. Ratio Advisors:

Recent Amity spin-off. Did not meet, but said to have poached Apollo, Golden Gate, and Lindsay Goldberg from Amity. Will likely continue to take some solid names in the future.

8. Bellcast Partners:

MM focused. Interesting initial meeting - more geared towards prepping me than evaluating me. Decided I was a worthwhile candidate three minutes in, then spent the rest of the time workshopping my story. Can't give specific names other than a few ~$500-750mm odds and ends.

9. GoBuyside:

Onex is the flagship relationship. I believe they also do Morgan Stanley Capital Partners. Likely a couple others. Platform takes some heat from the old guard. The concept hasn't been as disruptive as envisioned, but the reality is that the brand does have some traction.

10. SearchOne Advisors:

Stronger on the HF side. Jim MacLeod is hysterical. Do have a few legit MM PE clients.

11. Glocap Search:

Legacy ranking. Seems like they used to be stronger. Never met but am aware of some MM names.

Recommended Reading

Want to break into the Private Equity industry?

Check out WSO’s Private Equity Interview course. With more than 2,000 question across 200+ PE firms, our prep guide has everything you need to land the most coveted jobs on Wall Street.

PE Interview Course

Inbounds are more common. These firms will typically reach out to older analysts in targeted banks / groups for a list of first-year analysts to contact.

Outbound approaches can often be effective, however, and part of my hope in posting is to ensure that candidates are aware of reputable search firms that may have missed them.

If you're at a group that HH has historically targeted and had placements with, or if you sit in a target group for the particular PE firm the HH is working with, you will be sure to get an email from the HH. Otherwise, it's really a coinflip whether a particular recruiter will email you for whatever roles. More likely to receive outreach if you're a good shop (BB / EB). Otherwise, you would have to take the initiative and reach out to as many recruiters as possible to increase your chances of 1st round interviews.

Thank you for this write up. Mind sharing a bit about your background and why you wanted to go MM?

Do analysts usually decide to focus on what kind of fund they want or just interview with all the shops they get a chance with?

Sure. First-year M&A analyst at an EB. Graduated this past year with an Economics degree from an Ivy+ (Stanford / MIT / UChicago / Duke). White male.

My interest in upper MM buyout funds was driven by a desire to work on deals of comparable scale, complexity, and consequence to those at MFs - in a more intimate environment with added potential for career-track opportunities.

HHs typically ask candidates to rank preferences for fund size / type, industry, and geography prior to initial meetings. For obvious reasons, it often benefits candidates to mention a few specific funds of interest in these initial meetings. CPI certainly appreciated hearing that I was more interested in Providence Equity and American Securities than Advent and Silver Lake.

Nice, congratulations. Based on the others in your analyst class and friends who also went through the process, do you have any insight on which MF PE shops are open to candidates from non-target schools? That being said, if you have no chance at a certain position, are recruiters generally open with you about your prospects?

Thanks!

Awesome post. Just curious, how important is having a closed deal on your resume for first year PE recruiting? With the process being pushed up so far, I think it would be pretty tough to have significant deal exeperience on your resume since you’re only ~4 months into the job. Is school + GPA the most important factor, given that I’ll be in a solid group (EB)?

Ask this question ten times and you’ll get ten different answers. My sense is that it is orders of magnitude more important to be able to effectively communicate skills you have developed through dealwork than to be able to reference specific clients and counterparties (with infrequent exceptions, such as working on a sell-side for a given fund’s portco). In my experience, not only does the breadth of disclosable information in an interview setting not increase substantially post-closing, but the important information for the interviewer to glean is largely limited to the roles you played and the skills you developed.

To personalize, my resume had three sell-side deals, one of which had closed - I had helped build the model and write the CIM as a Summer Analyst. I had been thrown to the wolves after the second-year analyst on the deal had rolled off a week into my internship. Predictably, nobody gave a shit about what I had done as an intern. It didn’t matter that the deal had closed. The entirety of my deal conversations revolved around the two ongoing sell-sides on which I had been staffed since joining full-time.

And no, school / GPA are boxes to be checked, not difference-makers. Your propensity to land a PE job will be largely governed by your technical skills and your personality. My view on the “these kids are 5 months out of college and don’t know anything” argument is that you can’t develop anything resembling sound investing judgment in ~4-6 months, but you can build a surprisingly robust base of technical skills if given good opportunities and willing to crank.

Thanks for the great insight with this post! Really helpful.

I'm hoping to partake in the next on cycle recruiting as a second year analyst. My understanding is that the process kicked off much earlier this year. Do you have any advice on how to prep or when to start reaching out to these guys for the summer 2020 cycle? With my current position, I don't anticipate on recruiters actively reaching out to me given the team I work in, so if you had to reach out to any of the headhunters you listed, I would love to hear your experiences on that.

Is there any word on this process being moved up even further like seemingly every other timeline on the banking side?

-"Our comforting conviction that the world makes sense rests on a secure foundation: our almost unlimited ability to ignore our ignorance."

I mostly agree with these rankings - I joined MM PE shop with 1-2bn flagship fund in 2017. As someone who targeted MM, Oxbridge was great (Genstar, Jordan). SG is also mostly middle market, but they love mentioning Blackstone in every email. CPI was my favorite firm, though they only worked with me after the initial recruiting surge (tier 2 BB).

Anyone have updated client lists? Any color on PE and HF is helpful, recent is appreciated as I'll be starting July in a group that is very quiet about recruiting

Qui ea reiciendis aut veritatis. Atque veritatis nesciunt nemo corrupti ipsa. Labore qui ab voluptates commodi minus occaecati.

Quisquam repudiandae necessitatibus voluptas ad. Tempore nihil est accusamus error adipisci non. Labore nihil voluptate laboriosam dolore. Nulla dolorem et qui sit. Consequuntur et qui sapiente odio suscipit.

Quae sapiente officia autem et. Eum unde itaque tempore quo non sunt quo. Vero repellat est ullam rerum quo.

Quisquam amet reiciendis nobis fuga aut voluptatem. Tempora voluptatibus consequuntur occaecati voluptates ab fugiat. Rerum animi autem aut autem dolorum.

Libero mollitia ut harum et ipsum sit tempora. Autem unde occaecati omnis doloremque est ullam unde.

Similique omnis aliquam commodi et facere. Ea illum et laboriosam repudiandae asperiores a.

Et in est non exercitationem ea et. Cum et ut velit aut a. Quasi repellendus quae ducimus optio nam odio. Enim cumque vel ut voluptate voluptatem dolor et. Qui quo id occaecati repellat et atque.

Sapiente soluta itaque aut. Ea cum beatae itaque ipsum rerum. Mollitia ipsam maiores blanditiis rerum enim quis.

Fugit qui quo tempora praesentium. Voluptatem commodi voluptatibus et illum voluptate voluptates ex. Ea consectetur aut pariatur ut. Placeat consequatur veniam voluptatem autem adipisci autem illo. Cum sint voluptatum ad aut dicta porro. Cum ipsam assumenda excepturi ea. Numquam sint id sint culpa autem optio.

Iusto atque reiciendis sunt sed. Accusantium fugiat et minus cum. Itaque deserunt ea eos. Quia mollitia dolore quo odio eveniet in quo error. Quam ut aut ullam rem illo.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Warburg Pincus 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (21) $586
  • Vice President (90) $363
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (88) $280
  • 2nd Year Associate (204) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (385) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (28) $157
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (245) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (313) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
pudding's picture
pudding
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”