2019 ULI Spring Conference in Nashville

Hey all,

I recently joined ULI as an Associate Member, and I know that you have to be a Full member in order to attend, but I called and inquired about the possibility of going and it appears that it would be possible if I were to upgrade my membership.

Before I commit to going, I just had a couple of quick questions about the event from those that have attended/will attend, or can simply provide any knowledge/advice.

(1) From a quick glance of the list of attendees, it seems as if virtually everyone is some sort of VP/Director/Partner/C-level executive. Would it be a complete waste of time/frowned upon for me as a mere Associate to go?

(2) Is this event worth it for someone like me? I work as a consultant in the national real estate advisory group of a major public accounting firm, but the consulting work I do is for a very niche asset class with very little investment-related work involved so I don't have the traditional real estate background/knowledge to be of use to anyone that would be at the conference. For me, this is purely from a networking perspective and I am genuinely curious/interested in learning more about the array of different asset classes and this would be a great opportunity to pick the minds of some industry leaders. At the same time, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't interested in learning more about potential opportunities for me to transition out of consulting and into an acquisitions or development-related role. Not sure I'd have better exposure than an event like this.

(3) If anyone here is going, would anyone be interested in setting up some sort of networking event (happy hour) of our own? I enjoy reading this forum and even though I'm not a frequent poster I would love getting to meet new people.

Thanks in advance to anyone that could provide their input!

I can't attest to the actual conference, but I have attended ULI workshops meant for people 10 years my senior while in UG and only benefited from it. For every one douche who wonders why you're there there's three that will just pour advice into you if you show up and try and talk to them.

Most Helpful

I've been to two ULI Fall Meetings but no Spring Meetings. The one in Dallas was phenomenal, while the last one in Boston didn't have the same connected feel. But maybe the sour taste in my mouth is the awful hotel they recommended.

It may be worth it for someone like you but it really depends on how comfortable you are networking in person. In Dallas, the Young Leaders events were phenomenal and I met a lot of smart, successful professionals. In Boston, it felt like the YLGs were all MSRED students from Columbia, Berkeley, etc.. so I didn't spend much time at the event.

The way these events work is there are multiple conference rooms holding events with speakers simultaneously, and there are other rooms where industry leaders break out to their specific product councils. You MAY get in front of industry leaders, but most of them are booked with meetings. Your best bet is the night events or reaching out to people you'd like to meet ahead of time to schedule an informational coffee chat early in the morning. Lots of folks are open to that, especially if you're young and are only looking for 15 minutes of advice, etc... Then just pick interesting talks to attend during the day so you can learn new things.

Also, the Spring Meetings may have a different feel than the Fall Meetings since they're limited to full members. Would be interested to hear feedback from someone who has been to a Spring Meeting.

Never been to a spring meeting either, but for people reading this, if you're going to a ULI conference, pay the extra money for one of their off-site tours. I got to tour the Transbay Terminal and the Salesforce Tower in SF while they were under construction and then got to tour Crow Holding's Old Parkland Campus and meet/hang out with Lucy Billingsley, Harlan Crow, and Trammell S. Crow. Definitely the highlight of both trips.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Thanks for the insight and your advice. Did you encounter a lot of younger people (mid 20's) that were in attendance? Or do they stick out? I figured that there would be a good amount of folks that are getting their masters that would be there, and the YLG is what I would like to target.

nvolchek:
Thanks for the insight and your advice. Did you encounter a lot of younger people (mid 20's) that were in attendance? Or do they stick out? I figured that there would be a good amount of folks that are getting their masters that would be there, and the YLG is what I would like to target.

Tons of young people at the fall meeting. Doubt it will be the same for the spring meeting though

Commercial Real Estate Developer

Quaerat nobis alias hic quidem ut reiciendis eaque qui. Culpa cum expedita est qui sunt assumenda. Adipisci esse eaque nulla distinctio qui. Soluta praesentium officia molestias repellat qui placeat. Aut quibusdam voluptatem possimus quasi nostrum quo.

Corrupti sunt id consequuntur in eos. Laboriosam aspernatur perferendis sint quo quisquam consequuntur. Quia nisi illo eaque delectus quia magni iusto. Voluptatibus nemo molestias culpa vero laborum dolorem laudantium. Sit sint sint a nihil adipisci libero. Nisi ea illum et id occaecati culpa ipsum.

Aut architecto ducimus error eos distinctio rerum. Praesentium aut adipisci hic ut et aliquam eaque harum.

Et illum et exercitationem voluptatem. Numquam possimus voluptatem perferendis et aut deleniti tempora repudiandae. Assumenda amet aspernatur ut facilis neque quis laudantium.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”