2020: Your airlines / rewards programs / cards of choice?

Hello all travelers (business and personal alike) and personal finance savants. With the new year, many of our rewards programs reset. What is your go-to airline/rewards program/cards and why? Are you dumping any of your cards or your memberships this year?

My airlines for 2020:

1. Southwest - A list preferred + companion pass, I basically gain a free flight anywhere I want every other week since I fly almost every week, rarely going any further east than Dallas, and their routes are improving (eg direct to Hawaii from midwest hubs like chicago).

2. JSX (formerly known as JetsuiteX) - West Coast-only airline that uses chartered jets and private hangers (20 minute security+boarding process) with free food and alcohol generally $139. Minor point rewards under JetBlue's points system (does anyone on WSO use JetBlue, would love to see if its worth the effort)

Rewards programs I'm considering dumping:

1. Marriott Bonvoy: They are "redesigning" all of their hotels in order to bump up points needed per stay. The customer service is going down hill and I might jump ship. Does anyone on WSO have experience on Hilton or Hyatt?

Personal/Business Credit Cards:

Looking for WSO recommendations. Given my Southwest Status, I will cancel my Southwest credit card soon. I currently have a few $0 fee cards that I keep in the closet for emergencies. Possibly looking at Fidelity card (2% cash back on everything deposited straight to my Fidelity account, no annual fee.)

I will probably continue to stay away from AMEX this year except for business use. Are there any other cards I should look into?

Most Helpful

For flights, I am loyal to Delta. I live in a hub and they are the best US legacy carrier by far, in my opinion. Southwest was fine when I was in college, but they've cancelled flights of mine last minute one too many times and at some point, I'm happy to pay extra money to not be in a cattle call and know I have a good seat. Plus I booked a round trip to Barcelona in Delta One seats on a very small amount of points so I'm pretty happy.

There are better international carriers, but for US flights, Delta is where it's at.

Card-wise, I have:

I'm thoroughly over Marriott and IHG points after some shit experiences with blackout dates this year (for IHG, I was Spire Elite with 250,000 points and they wouldn't let me book one fucking night at the Intercontinental and then another time the only room they'd let me book was the shittiest one in the building) so those cards will be culled this year. The Delta Platinum was just for point churning purposes to that'll be killed after 12 months pass.

Perhaps controversially, I'm probably going to kill the AmEx Platinum too. I don't get the value on it compared to the Delta Reserve and CSR and at some point I don't need to pay that much in annual fees.

Commercial Real Estate Developer

I'm assuming you are then dumping the Bonvoy Boundless card? That has also been on my radar but due to expensing reasons I can't use that card on the 120+ nights I will likely stay this year. For the annual fee and the declining service at Marriott properties I don't really have a solid reason to pull the trigger on it.

American - I live in a hub and if you go business class LAX-JFK or SFO-JFK, you get upgraded to the Flagship lounge (heads and shoulders above the Admirals club).

Bank of America Premium Rewards credit card - coupled with Platinum Honors status, it's the best card on the market (2.625% cash back on every purchase and 3.5% on travel and dining) and it's only $95 a year. You get $100 airline incidental credit per year, Global Entry covered every 4 years, trip insurance, purchase protection etc. Did I mention 2.625% cash back on every purchase?

Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes.

Incidunt vitae delectus consequuntur et perferendis. Quas voluptatum quasi corporis distinctio cum. Praesentium voluptatem ad incidunt perferendis ipsam laudantium et optio.

Ratione ducimus totam illo et. Dolores aperiam ad qui ut reiciendis aspernatur voluptas. Rerum id provident voluptates sed neque unde.

Sit voluptates maxime quis velit natus vero. Ipsa atque perspiciatis et quis. Dicta omnis mollitia ut. Quis perspiciatis sapiente ullam doloribus saepe perferendis. Et occaecati voluptatem similique dignissimos. Nulla harum velit eius. Et qui minus cum nihil aut sequi nulla.

Quant (ˈkwänt) n: An expert, someone who knows more and more about less and less until they know everything about nothing.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”