$228 Million Dollar Payday for James Harden

James Harden of the Houston Rockets has signed a four year contract extension that will run through the 2022-2023 season. It is reported that the deal will be worth over $170 million over four years. Harden will now earn $228 million total through the end of his contract.

In the 2016-17 season, Harden averaged 29.1 points, 8.1 rebounds, and 11.2 assists per game. Harden was playing on the level of eventual MVP Russel Westbrook, and as such, deserved to be paid like an elite player. That being said, this is an impressively large deal that may leave some wondering if Harden is worth this type of money.

Harden’s new deal even outdoes Steph Curry, who just signed a 5 year, $201 million dollar deal. These massive deals are the result of league wide revenue growth which grew to $8 billion in the past year. The only other league to beat out the NBA is the NFL, with $14 billion in league wide revenue.

According to Forbes writer Vincent Frank:

This all comes on the heels of the NBA striking a nine-year, $24 billion national television deal with ESPN and Turner Sports. That has a direct impact on how max salaries and the cap itself work. With increased television revenue and skyrocketing popularity, the NBA is in the midst of the greatest era in its history, It really is the sports equivalent of trickle-down economics. If the owners and the league are making bread, so will the players.

The economics of the NBA is changing quickly. Tell me what you think about it. Is Harden worth upwards of $40 million a year?

Personally, I follow the NHL and the NBA pretty closely, and I find it amazing that Connor McDavid will makes the same amount as Kelly Olynyk next year. I understand how the popularity of the two leagues diverges, but I still think it’s amazing nevertheless.

Not sure why everyone has been making such a huge deal out of this. The dude just signed a max contract as he should. This is going to be the norm for every max contract from here on out. It's not like he got special treatment or anything.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the Rockets maxing him. Everyone complaining that he isn't worth 40 mil a year is going to be shitting their pants when Deandre Jordan gets a 4 yr/160 million or 5/200 million offer next summer.

Libero id inventore quod sed sit aliquam. Sed qui non tenetur quas repellat aspernatur et. Aut temporibus fugit rerum labore molestiae earum amet. Corporis quae corrupti cum dolorum. Laborum ratione sit exercitationem officia dolorem inventore.

Perspiciatis rerum similique ut enim. Facilis quia cupiditate repudiandae. Eveniet non necessitatibus alias alias eius.

Aut qui est modi omnis. Repudiandae quasi ea iste similique ullam. Qui sed voluptatem quos impedit debitis ut aut.

Recusandae magnam natus rerum quae maiores et aliquid. Molestias autem commodi nesciunt sed iure ratione. Odit et dolorem enim. Et nihil voluptates corporis ex nostrum necessitatibus dolore. Dolores et omnis aspernatur tempora.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”