Advice for Corporate Finance Internships 2021?

I'm expanding my applications into corporate finance world in the f500. I've applied to just about every front office role there is, but I think I'm better suited to compete for the CF internships. I'm a 3.7 GPA, non-target, and have done two internships. These internships were in boutique private equity firms but it was a lot of research, and operational stuff I didn't do any financial modeling but got to help with one deal although it fell through (great experience though). It really just helped buffer my resume whether it helps or not. 

But yeah, what programs would you all recommend me to apply to? I've already applied for Microsoft and AbbVie for corporate finance, and have become more interested in the FLDP route instead of IB which is out of reach. Any advice on how to best position myself for this? I'm already in very good terms with my career center so I'll be working with them one on one until April so we can get something secured for the summer. I also have a class with one professor currently who worked in a similar industry and made it very high up so I feel like that's a good chance to reach out maybe?

Thanks!

Depending how how tied you are to location, you could look into Walmart's AFDP internship/fulltime position. I've heard it provides solid experience and the pay is good, especially for location. I know this post is slightly older, and I'm not sure if you've heard much more from Microsoft, but for full time I've heard there is one super day left and the class is almost full, I would imagine that the intern recruiting is roughly in the same place. 

I would network with people in those programs you are applying to and seeing what they thinking about the company and the opportunities provided by their FDP. If you have a good relationship with people from your prior internships you can always ask if they have any connection in CF at reputable companies and go about it that way too. 

Most Helpful

You have a very competitive profile for a top FLDP. If I were in your shoes, I would do google/LinkedIn searches for FLDPs at every Tech company you think is cool (or any industry company you think is cool/interesting). Some companies have small programs that may not be advertised at all online (that's how my program was), which is why I'd suggest searching LinkedIn for the programs to find if there are any current analysts. If you reach out to them inquiring on the program, you should have a good response rate since you have a strong profile.

Also when you're comparing programs, your #1 consideration should be on the rotations available and length of rotations. 1-yr rotations are much easier to market externally than 6 mo. rotations no matter what you do and the experience you can get in various corporate rotations in my experience has been more marketable than strictly operational or accounting-heavy rotations (though I think one of these can be good). For both of these reasons, I wouldn't discount the smaller programs.

Op here. Thanks! I attended a career fair and there was one company that was attending for Summer FP&A. It's a small company, but it holds its name in the area and the people there are awesome. No one else showed up, lol, so I think I'll be somewhat a priority. 

Aside from that, I have one coming up for a company in the F100 bucket. I must ask, how heavy are the accounting technicals? I feel very strong on the fit based end I usually do a lot of research on the company, craft my story as well as being personable. But I must admit, I took my basic financial accounting and managerial accounting over the summer so I didn't really put too much effort into really learning it. I'm just brushing over the technicals right now on the CF guides, they're pretty straight forward. 

Oh also I should mention I'm a 3rd year, so I would be trying to seek FLDP/Corporate Finance internships not necessarily fulltime positions but that would be the goal post-graduation. I probably misunderstood or didn't make that clear, my bad. 

Quo exercitationem ad commodi. Debitis sapiente natus ut voluptatem voluptatem quisquam commodi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”