Analysts' 100K

Hey guys, Im a sophomore at Ross and while browsing the forums, I found a lot of analysts talk about how 100K salary in NY really isnt that much. I don't know if I had some crazy pipe dreams, but I had always assumed that 100K salary at 22 years old would be living the dream (even if I was working 100 hours a week). Apparently, though, the cost of living in NY is so high that analysts have enough to live and spend modestly, but not splurge on anything they want (as I had assumed). Is this true?

The short answer is 100k in nyc is really not that much. but i guess it depends on where you are from. One of my analyst buddies is from the boonies and thought 60k base was a great deal.

When you say 'splurge' on anything they want, what exactly are you talking about? analysts usually splurge a little on themselves when they get their bonuses (nice watch, nicer clothing, etc.) but its' not likely they're going out to buy a car (for the most part).

Best Response

First, as an Analyst you will only make around $60K in base salary your first year until your bonus hits in July... that is maybe $35K after taxes. In NYC you will be spending at least $1500 each month on an apartment... so that is already $18K right there. So you're left with $17K. $17K seems like a lot... but then you have other expenses like transportation, buying new clothes, furniture for your new place, etc. You do save quite a bit on food by never paying for it.

However, if you take all those one-time expenses (yes that is true banker-speak) and then factor in a couple hundred of "going out" expenses each month (reasonable in NYC), you're not left with much.

And my $1500 per month assumption for the apartment is on the cheap side... I think that is what really gets people, paying too much for an apartment.

One banker I know was paying so much he was actually cash-flow negative until he got his bonus (!).

I live by myself, go out for dinner most nights during the week and generally dont deny myself much of anything. I am ableo to live off my base salary which is right around 100k/yr. You can definitely do it.

As a disclaimer, my vacations, charitable contributions etc, pretty much all come from my bonus. as does the vast majority of my savings.

Granted you probably won't be able to save much, you can definitely live off the salary. Dosk17 was right when he said that $1500 is probably low for monthly rent but you will be able to find an apartment for that price. Ulimately, there is no point paying ridiculous money for an apartment because you will rarely be there. A good friend of mine who works at JPmorgan lives a nice three bedroom apartment for $1700. One thing which will hopefully make it a little easier is relocation bonus. Relo bonus should basically take care of furnishing and any other apartment needs.

Your rent will prolly be the biggest monthly expense so if you live in Soho or something your rent will be like 3k for a 1 bedroom but in Park Slope you can probably get a 2 bedroom for 1500. Yet again who wants to live in brooklyn? But would you rather pay 3k or 1.5k =/ especially if you have student loans the answer is simple. I live in midwood the rent is 1200 for a 2 bedroom nice neighborhood, but if you work in manhattan the trip there and back could easily top 2 hours everyday.

I was about to say, where are you getting these numbers from, because 1.5 is way too low for a good spot in manhattan. I mean, unless you want to spend your nights in the Upper West Side, its not going to be cheap. I know of some people splitting 2 bedrooms in prime real estate for a little over 2k each. Its in a great area but its still SMALL, I'd say around 500 to 700 square feet.

According to the bankrate calculator, 100k where I live translates to roughly 200k in Manhattan. Cost of living in NYC is killer -- don't go there if you're looking for a high quality of life.

CompBanker’s Career Guidance Services: https://www.rossettiadvisors.com/

CompBanker:
According to the bankrate calculator, 100k where I live translates to roughly 200k in Manhattan. Cost of living in NYC is killer -- don't go there if you're looking for a high quality of life.

Take the cost of living calcultors with a grain of salt. Remember, it's weighted towards the essentials, and as such is more relevant to people at the median income level. Its applicability deteriorates as your income rises. For example, if the index is 1.50x, then it's probably right at 40k: 40k in your city might require 60k in NYC.

However, at 400k the correlation is completely different because most of the marginal income is disposable and not used for direct living expenses. At $4 million, it's clearly not accurate.

Having said that, all our analysts feel poor. Part of it is that rent takes a huge bite out of their base salaries. Part of it is that they are clearly the bottom of the comp structure, which also contributes to making them feel poorer than they actually are. It's mostly a case of them not being able to live as large as they would want to, rather than being objectively poor.

By the way, CompBanker - I like you. I think you're going to have legs in this business. You ever decide you want to do the NY thing (although I doubt it), give me a shout.

I pay 2600 for a 500 sq ft 1br in East Village (walkup, no laundry, no doorman). A similar place in UES is probably 2000...100k = 8333/month. After taxes, insurance and transit pass, you're looking at 4900/month. (37% taxes + 350 for insurance). Say you spend 200/week for all food + another couple hundred for dinners out that aren't paid for. That leaves you with 1900/month. Cable = 125, electric = 100, cell phone = 100; leaving you with 1575. Ever travel home or go on vacation...$400 set aside for that...leaves you with 1175. Ever take a taxi after the bar? another 100/month minimum; 1075. You drink beer? That's a measly 2x/week for $50/night = 675 left.

$675 left for clothes, dvds, women, drinks beyond a mere $100/week (which is nothing), furniture, gambling, going on any type of real vacation, etc...

$100k gets you nowhere in NYC.

while 100k is not a lot, for 2 years you will be fine. there are people in nyc who make WAY less than that and still manage to survive

One of the biggest reasons why people pay that much (anything more than 1600+ for an apartment) in the city is because they are usually in a rush between graduation and the start of their job to find a place. No self respecting New Yorker would pay that much money for a shitty place. Most of the time, it's kids from other parts of the country (i.e. not New York) who are completely misinformed and think they have to pay that much for an apartment.

The deals are definitely out there, if you know where to look or know what brokers to use. You need to be patient. You pay a premium for quick and easy. In my opinion, paying any more than 1500 a month in RENT (not including all the other amenities) is just crazy. And you can def. live in the 'chic' or 'cool places' also if you get a roommate.

Necessitatibus odio voluptatem rerum suscipit distinctio. Esse aliquam incidunt sed officiis modi voluptas facilis. Enim voluptate sequi illum facere non. Modi at aut sit non.

Rerum est tenetur asperiores quisquam voluptas doloremque deleniti. Qui aut nulla hic. Ut suscipit tempore optio voluptas odio. Dolorem nulla nihil eveniet minima. Sit pariatur architecto iusto tenetur.

Consequuntur non eos est iusto debitis ut. Quae est aut reiciendis ipsa alias suscipit deserunt. Quo numquam aut a dolore reiciendis eos et.

Architecto iure eos veniam similique. Cumque eos iste doloremque velit quis. Beatae fuga illum harum impedit est rerum odit velit. Exercitationem quia numquam dolor iste. Aut sed quasi repellat. Quaerat numquam est eos consectetur est excepturi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”