Another Non Target Success Story
Hey fellow chimps. I am excited to say that I finally landed a full time analyst position with a boutique investment bank. I did not have the typical route to IB. I never even had a finance internship during my undergrad. During my senior year I discovered my passion for IB and started networking my way into phone calls and coffee chats. A few months go by and I totally messed up 2 super days a year ago. I ended up taking the WSO interview and modeling course while I enrolled in a Masters of Finance degree after I couldn't find a job during the peak of the pandemic last May. After networking vigorously from a non target and taking internships while going to school I was able to finally land a full time analyst position. A couple of items that made me stand out from other candidates despite coming from a non target school, and lacking IB internships included the following:
- Always make a cover letter and try to find out who is interviewing you.
- Know your technical flash cards well, and have a good understanding of the financial statements.
- Consider a masters or an mba to help you stand out from other candidates.
- Don't be afraid to reach out to people via LinkedIn or send a cold email to a firm. Especially if you can get an alumni connection.
- Don't give up your search. It truly is a numbers game and it took me 4 super days to figure it out, and finally land the job on the 5th.
Best of luck to those of you that are still searching. It took me over a year and a half to break in, but it is worth it.