Another Non Target Success Story

Hey fellow chimps. I am excited to say that I finally landed a full time analyst position with a boutique investment bank. I did not have the typical route to IB. I never even had a finance internship during my undergrad. During my senior year I discovered my passion for IB and started networking my way into phone calls and coffee chats. A few months go by and I totally messed up 2 super days a year ago. I ended up taking the WSO interview and modeling courses while I enrolled in a Masters of Finance degree after I couldn’t find a job during the peak of the pandemic last May. After networking vigorously from a non target and taking internships while going to school I was able to finally land a full time analyst position. A couple of items that made me stand out from other candidates despite coming from a non target school, and lacking IB internships included the following:

1. Always make a cover letter and try to find out who is interviewing you.
  2. Know your technical flash cards well, and have a good understanding of the financial statements.
  3. Consider a masters or an mba to help you stand out from other candidates.
  4. Don’t be afraid to reach out to people via LinkedIn or send a cold email to a firm. Especially if you can get an alumni connection.
  5. Don’t give up your search. It truly is a numbers game and it took me 4 super days to figure it out, and finally land the job on the 5th.

Best of luck to those of you that are still searching. It took me over a year and a half to break in, but it is worth it.

Grats on the offer as a fellow non-target who broke in. 

I gotta ask how did a cover letter help you? To me from both the perspective of being the guy sending them and the one evaluating them, they've held absolutely no value.

TheBuellerBanker

Grats on the offer as a fellow non-target who broke in. 

I gotta ask how did a cover letter help you? To me from both the perspective of being the guy sending them and the one evaluating them, they've held absolutely no value.

I’ve heard this from a lot of recruiters, it’s a tie breaker on occasion but more often than not, you’re in or you’re not

Can confirm this after doing interviews for my EB

When going through a stack of candidates we screen by resume then go through and, if between 2 candidates, will see how much each of them wants to be here based on their Cover Letter. Unless you're on the line, a CL isn't going to put you over for most positions as there is simply too much content for us to go through. 

I can only speak from my experience, and yours may differ. However, I started to notice that firms where I just shot over my resume I would be rejected 9/10. When I added a job detailed cover letter catered to the firm, I noticed that I was significantly getting more calls back. The success rate would also go up if the email was to an alumni connection, or if you can find the name of the VP/Associate or whomever is interviewing you for round 1. This is just my experience and it may differ for everyone.

Good job man, huge congrats to you! I second the technical flash cards, I made quizlet sets to prepare. I think it's good to intuitively understand the concepts behind financial statements, DCFs, LBOs, valuation etc but a lot of technical questions you want to have very polished and smooth and automatic. Love that you got the job and happy for you! Go celebrate!

Big props to you man, also fellow non-target who got IB FT without an previous IB position. Let's fuck around and get paid.

New here but I’m an ex internal recruiter (UBS, citadel, credit Suisse +) and am now on search side and wished i could’ve helped you!

I have so many banking roles at top firms so if you have friends looking pls send them my way.

Good luck to you in the new role and congrats!!

Debbie Gollin

DeborahgATJacksonLucasDOTcom

Hey man I'm in a similar situation -- just graduated with a BBA in Finance from an NYC non-target. Didn't have finance internships, or any internships for that matter. Do you think going for a masters program is a good idea? 

Yes I think it is a good idea because while you’re finishing school you can use your school email to network. It seems like your school email is a free pass for people to take the time of day to talk with you. Plus you will solidify your finance knowledge and standout from kids with just an undergrad degree. It will help a lot on the backend of your career also. I would either go with a masters of finance or an MBA in finance and try to start off as an associate out the gates.

Congrats. VP here, heavily involved in recruiting process - Masters of Finance may be helpful, but don't recommend anyone get an MBA to try to break in. There's no way we can recruit a post-MBA analyst, you'll just get dismissed immediately as a low quality Associate applicant rather than a non-traditional Analyst applicant

Velit ut sint qui ratione aut dolorem tempora. Non molestiae sed ea quibusdam qui sed reprehenderit. Sapiente repellendus cumque voluptatem est. Quos id excepturi est ea. Tempora adipisci excepturi omnis.

Beatae quo vero enim autem nostrum recusandae. Natus rerum illo doloremque in qui natus ipsam. Quaerat repudiandae ut molestiae ea. Dolorem iusto aliquid sunt est magnam soluta.

Eligendi deleniti odio quia tempora dolorum et. Deleniti ducimus numquam temporibus tempore. Delectus qui numquam consectetur eum odit. Pariatur non corrupti qui.

In magnam dolores placeat earum dolores occaecati et. Autem officia rerum omnis dolorem. Nemo rerum recusandae consequatur sit doloremque molestiae qui. Est aperiam facere rem aut facere quod. Perferendis aperiam quaerat iusto dolores nesciunt. Nihil voluptates sint dicta ut qui omnis. Earum qui minus eos vel quia beatae similique.

Commodi et ducimus distinctio quas voluptas. Et earum sit atque aut. Quia omnis quos perspiciatis quam dolore pariatur ut. Quis illo in in eos et ut. Enim est dolores eaque rerum error inventore asperiores.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”