At what point can one break 500k and 1MM in a Corporate role?

At what point in your career in Corp Dev/Fin/Strat could one generally expect to earn 500k? Is this Director level of comp or higher? Could a Senior Director in a profitable industry like tech expect to earn around this level?

And where can you expect to earn 1 MM? Could a VP in FIG, energy, tech or pharma/healthcare expect to earn this or is that reserved for C-level execs only?

In most industries, I don't know if you even hit $500k all-in as head of Corp Dev, although probably not far from it (I'm guessing 250-300k base plus ~20% bonus and some RSUs). Maybe for the largest of the F500s and for some Tech firms you hit that below SVP. To hit $1MM all-in, I think you have to be C-level or perhaps the CFO of a big business unit within the parent company (still sort of C-level). I don't have any hard data to back this up, but that's based on my guess after working in multiple F500 firms (between 100-400 on list). Most F500 corp dev / strat teams are quite small, so they don't pay you like you're managing dozens or hundreds of people.

Data point: I work at a F500 CPG company. Directors at my company range from ~$270k-400k all-in (with the upper end being those who've been Directors for several years). To crack $500k you're looking at a VP role, and to crack $1MM you're looking at the most senior VPs - e.g. one rung below the C-suite (titles are usually "President of Europe", "President of North America"). We have 30,000+ employees, and there are maybe 10-15 who will break $1MM in a given year.

This would not be quite accurate for tech. At my firm for non-technical (finance/operations etc.) roles you can crack $500K as a Senior Director and $1MM+ for certain VP roles. Non-Technical SVPs (1-level below C) are definitely looking at $1M+ in total compensation. (I've seen offers in the $1.5 - $2.0M range).

Additionally technical roles are paid significantly more than non-technical roles. Technical directors make significantly more than non-technical counterparts and would generally sit between $400K and $1MM depending on the role and company. If you think $1MM is crazy for a director pick up the phone and call any reputable third-party recruiter and ask them how much it would cost to recruit a Director of Engineering from FAANG. Guarantee the answer is north of $1MM.

SAAS CFO:
This would not be quite accurate for tech. At my firm for non-technical (finance/operations etc.) roles you can crack $500K as a Senior Director and $1MM+ for certain VP roles. Non-Technical SVPs (1-level below C) are definitely looking at $1M+ in total compensation. (I've seen offers in the $1.5 - $2.0M range).

Additionally technical roles are paid significantly more than non-technical roles. Technical directors make significantly more than non-technical counterparts and would generally sit between $400K and $1MM depending on the role and company. If you think $1MM is crazy for a director pick up the phone and call any reputable third-party recruiter and ask them how much it would cost to recruit a Director of Engineering from FAANG. Guarantee the answer is north of $1MM.

I dabble in tech and this is correct.

Most Helpful

For most industries this is spot on.

At my 2 F500s similar experience, maybe even slightly lower. For instance, I doubt any directors are $400k at either of the companies I know and no one below C-suite hits $1M. Even our "President of X" is likely $700-800k in a year, with occasional exceptions for tremendous performance.

I am completely sure that there are outliers and tech and FIG are probably higher, but unlike most speculation on this site I have seen the confidential #s.

twitter: @CorpFin_Guy

Neque iste animi et quisquam ex vel. Adipisci officiis vitae reprehenderit et rerum molestias repellendus. Accusamus qui magni ut sint aut. Suscipit enim ipsa enim et atque voluptatem.

Repellendus sunt hic magni qui dolores excepturi. Sint enim quo culpa quia. Amet ullam quas corrupti rerum quam laboriosam.

Inventore adipisci ut voluptatem ab aut qui. Laudantium nostrum et nobis molestias. Quia fuga dolores asperiores minima nisi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”