Baird SA 2021

Prospect in IB - Gen

I know that Baird is starting recruiting now, and thought I would start a thread on it. I have a phone screen on Tuesday. Anyone who already had theirs, how did it go, what questions were asked?

Comments (94)

• Prospect in Other
Feb 28, 2020

Next Tuesday?

Feb 28, 2020

Just had my phone screen. Questions are all behavioral and they just want to know more about you 1) why banking 2) why Baird 3) why mm, and of course tell me about yourself. good luck!

Array

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Feb 28, 2020

Thanks! did they ask about any deals, industry trends, etc?

Feb 28, 2020

I didn't get any questions regarding industry trends. They did ask if you were to be placed in a particular industry group at Baird, which would it be? this one was tricky because everyone will say their top group group, hard to sell an industrials story though.

Array

• Intern in 
Feb 28, 2020

Went through their process before, generally one of the weirder ones and my least favorite of all processes I went through, they really stress WHY MM and cultural fit. If they sense you are also in the process with BBs they won't be interested.

Feb 28, 2020

I interviewed for the summer associate role last fall. They are big on culture fit and why MM. I applied to Milwaukee so they touched that. Had some general LBO questions too - more so than other other banks I interviewed with. Then the general ones....three statements and how they connect, main valuations and if DA goes up 10 how are the statements impacted. Good luck!

Monkey see. Monkey Doo [Doo].

• Prospect in IB - PubFin
Mar 4, 2020

I had my interview with Baird as well.

In the screen they asked the basics like why baird, why MM, why banking and tell me about yourself. The process will be a couple of more phone interviews and then a superday in April.

• Prospect in Other
Mar 4, 2020

How many screens did you have?

Mar 4, 2020

This was my first screen interview. Haven't heard back yet (its been a day since my interview) but I would expect the next phone interviews to be more of technical questions.

Mar 6, 2020

I had my first phone screen about 2 weeks Week of feb 17th and haven't heard back.

I know kids have been rejected tho buddy of mine go rejected like 7 days after phone screen

*If it matters, go to a Target school

Array
  • Prospect in Other
Mar 6, 2020

lol in exact same situation as you. Phone screen 2 wks ago havent heard back since.

Mar 6, 2020

Just had my phone screen this morning and he said I will hear back in a week or two.

• Prospect in Other
Mar 6, 2020

Guess everyone will hear back at the same time?

• Prospect in Other
Mar 9, 2020

Dinged

Mar 9, 2020

did you apply for IB? what was your background?

• Prospect in Other
Mar 9, 2020

Yes, target school

Mar 9, 2020

Do you know of anyone who made it through to the next round?

Mar 9, 2020

I got dinged too, and I had a good convo with the associate on the phone :(

Array

Mar 9, 2020

did you get an email? I am really getting nervous now. I thought I had a great talk too but idk now.

Most Helpful
  • Intern in 
Mar 9, 2020

I went through their process last year and am at a better bank now, don't take it personally if you had a great call and got dinged, I had interviews across a range of BBs, EBs, and MMs, and Baird easily had the least consistent process. They are very strict on their perception of "fit" and most importantly they want to be certain that you are largely shooting for MM only and will stress you on the why MM questions a lot.

Mar 9, 2020

yes I got an email saying unfortunately I didn't move on. good luck tho!

Array

Mar 11, 2020

did anyone get invited to the next round?

• Prospect in Other
Mar 11, 2020

nope

• Intern in IB - Ind
Mar 11, 2020

I just did

Mar 20, 2020

Had a couple screening / networking calls and should have an official first round sometime in the next week or so. Everything relating to LBO, MM fit, why Baird is true. Haven't gotten a weird vibe though like some of the others, seems like an interesting bank and I like that they have a no-asshole policy/culture.

• Intern in IB - Ind
Mar 11, 2020

Update for me. Just got invited to next round of interviews. I assume it will be a similar set of questions as phone screen with some other technicals worked in. Would love any insight anyone has into this next interview round. thanks

Mar 11, 2020

Are they video interviews or phone calls?

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Mar 13, 2020

Phone screen

Mar 13, 2020

I've yet to get a response from a phone screen almost 3 weeks back... does that mean I'm dinged it's is the interviewer just slow in sending in comments?

Array
  • Prospect in IB - Gen
Mar 13, 2020

It took me nearly 5 weeks to hear back for the second round

Mar 20, 2020

A lot has been going on with the markets and scrambling, kinda makes sense lol

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Mar 13, 2020

Just had a phone screen this week, process must be ongoing.

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Mar 13, 2020

Congratz on moving to the second round. What was it like? Did it consist of only technicals?

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Mar 13, 2020

I had zero technicals on second round

Mar 18, 2020

Has anyone else heard back from Baird yet? Regarding the second round/superday.

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Mar 18, 2020

nope. interviewed over 2 weeks ago and have not gotten a response

Mar 18, 2020

What does the status on the career portal say?

Mar 18, 2020

had first round last week, mostly behavioral with the questions listed above but there was small technical portion (basic valuation questions nothing bad at all)

Mar 18, 2020

What does your status say?

Mar 21, 2020

It says candidate under consideration, guy on the phone told me they'll decide on who moves forward end of the month/early April and plan to have superday mid may. This was before corona got super super crazy tho so timeline may be adjusted, not sure.

Mar 20, 2020

What groups/offices are you all applying for?

Mar 20, 2020

I applied what I believe is a generalist. they didn't ask me for a preference and I didn't mention one. Thus, I believe that most of the applications will be general and then after being selected there will be groups assigned depending on our ppreferences and what they need.

Mar 24, 2020

Has anyone received a second round?

• Prospect in 
Mar 24, 2020

Did second round almost two weeks ago

Mar 24, 2020

any word after your second round ab a superday?

• Prospect in Other
Mar 24, 2020

did you hear back about superday? I'm having my second round in 2 days.

Mar 24, 2020

Just received a second round invite today.

• Prospect in IB - Ind
Mar 24, 2020

Me too. Was your first round only behaviorals? I wonder if they're going to incorporate technical questions into the second round. The associate I talked to said that the second round is going to be very similar to the first.

Mar 24, 2020

Do you want to PM me?

Mar 25, 2020

Does anyone have any Idea whether Baird usually provides an exploding offer or not? Because Baird's recruiting is so early on and other banks (BBs) might potentially delay their recruiting. Thus, it might become difficult to leverage the offer or accelerate another interview process.

• Analyst 1 in IB-M&A
Mar 25, 2020

When I recruited last year, I was given a week to accept the offer before it exploded

Mar 25, 2020

Wow. That is going to be a difficult situation to be in. Were you able to leverage it?

Mar 26, 2020

For second round, were there any technicals asked?

Mar 26, 2020

Had my second round this week. Was informed that a decision will be made by end of next week or early week after that. Super day will be mid-april or late april but definitely april.

• Prospect in Other
Mar 26, 2020

Did they ask anything technical?

Mar 26, 2020

Depends on what your resume has. I would side with if you don't say you know something, they wouldn't ask you technicals.

Mar 27, 2020

Did anyone hear back after the second round?

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Mar 27, 2020

Just had a second round this morning. The associate said that I will hear back within the next couple of weeks.

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Mar 27, 2020

Same, second screen today and said at least a week or two

• Prospect in Other
Mar 31, 2020

Just got dinged after second round.

• Prospect in IB - Gen
Mar 31, 2020

Dinged. Did not network so I'm not surprised. I wonder if anyone was able to move through without networking?

• Intern in 
Mar 31, 2020

Jeez they're already laying out the dings this early. Ruthless!

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Mar 31, 2020
Comment
Mar 31, 2020
  • Prospect in IB-M&A
Mar 31, 2020