Most Helpful

Not sure if this is useful, but I'll add my 2 cents just in case it is. I just finished up interviewing for a full time credit/fixed income/structured products macro role with a BB. Granted, I'm coming from a nontraditional background (risk management) and have a few years of full time experience. Most of the questions I was asked had to do with statistical programming, data manipulation, and behavioral stuff.

A couple of my interviewers focused more on economics/markets type questions, for example: Where do you think the market is going in the next 3-6 months? Explain why. What variables would you include in a statistical model to forecast home prices? What biases should you be on the lookout for in such a model? If home prices go up 30% next month, what happens to the economy?

I got the sense that the interviewers didn't particularly care what my answers were, they just wanted to hear me think out loud and work through difficult ideas. Again, your mileage may vary as I was coming from a non traditional background for this kind of thing, and I'm not sure how standardized macro roles are across the industry. 

The risk role I am currently working in? Or the macro credit role I just interviewed for? I guess the answer would be the same either way, I can just give more info about the risk role since I've been doing it a couple of years.

My current group is halfway between a traditional commercial credit group, and a quant analytics group. We are expected to pull and clean all of our own data, produce reporting, custom analytics, and statistically backed recommendations for improvements to credit policy. Occasionally we build custom models for credit scoring. Most of us can program in SQL, SAS, R, and some python. We generally come from statistical or actuarial backgrounds, but typically have less education than real quants (we've only had one phd in recent memory for example, I just have a bachelor's degree). We typically have to have pretty good people skills and some salesmanship (because we pitch recommendations for risk management policies that get implemented bank wide). Hope that helps!

From what I gathered, the macro credit role I interviewed for is similar in the sense that it requires some statistical background, but also a lot of soft skills. Probably why I was recruited even though my background is nowhere near as prestigious as it should be for a BB. Was just lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time with reasonably transferrable skills. 

Hi,

I just received a superday invitation for the same role, and would like to ask for your advice, especially on what kind of technical questions I should expect to have during the interviews. Will there be questions on statistics, coding and brainteaser? Or maybe just about economics, global market and walk through the resume?

Thank you so much. 

It's both. So I had "two" super days, one day with three interviews back to back with mostly economic, global market, and technical questions. Rarely any behavioral questions. The questions aren't "scripted", whatever you say when you answer your last question they'll follow up and it was quite an intense process so make sure to know your resume and know what you have done in your past roles. There was also one brainteaser with, "if a snail climbs a tree at a right of 3 ft/hour, and slides down 1 ft, how long would it take for the snail to climb 30 ft"

The second superday was asking about statistics and coding. I never got to hear the results because that same day after my second superday, I accepted an IB MBA summer associate offer and I sent the recruiter an email saying that I would like to withdraw from the process.

Hope this helps!

Aut dolore laudantium qui perspiciatis. Atque quis velit temporibus quia ullam. Eos quas autem quod eveniet sunt nam. Et rerum et ducimus. Non omnis molestiae enim sint iusto et voluptatem similique. In assumenda repudiandae reprehenderit. Consectetur vero animi fugiat quia quas corporis.

Veritatis dolore unde veniam veritatis quo veniam voluptatum. Beatae ullam qui quia nemo. Delectus nisi numquam commodi reprehenderit vero.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”