Bloomberg publishes 2018 MBA rankings - thoughts?

Here are the rankings

1. Stanford
  2. Wharton
  3. Harvard
  4. Sloan
  5. Booth
  6. Haas
  7. Columbia
  8. Kellogg
  9. Darden
  10. Johnson

Link to full article: https://www.bloomberg.com/business-schools/2018/

What do you think?

For me, no major surprises. Johnson got a nice bump, but that's probably due to their super impressive IB program. Booth feels like it could be higher, but you could swap out anything in the top 5 for #1 and people would be shocked the other 4 didn't get first place.

The real gem of the ranking is in the median compensation in different industries by school. This does a good job of quantifying the narrative that the good jobs go to people in a certain group of schools. So as long as you get into one of these schools you'll be fine. This essentially boils down to people in the top 20 schools get good jobs. There are a few exceptions to this, which is great for people to know that don't get into top 20 schools.

how do you guys feel about Bloomberg Rankings? thing is a lot of alums from school work at Bloomberg, and in return my school is ranked pretty high--Top 30 in Bloomberg Best Undergrad B-Schools...yet my school is still a semi/non target... I think that these rankings are bs and don't really mean much

thots & prayers

lapike:
Harvard is a very, very good finance school. But it is not the greatest finance school. Don't buy the brand.

It deserves to be top 10. But #1? That's why you're getting MS'd.

I'm no true man of finance but what do you mean by this? What finance opportunities are available to another business school that aren't available to an HBS grad? I'm not trying to argue I'm just curious.

Most Helpful

From what I know, there are less guaranteed spots for Harvard students vs Wharton students. Once again, HBS is very good. But when banks are creating "held spots" on a per school basis, I've never met a bank that has more spots open for HBS students than Wharton students. General perception is that HBS is turning more towards tech while Wharton maintains a strong finance focus.

That being said, if you get into HBS, you'll have no problem getting a first round at any bank of your choosing. But I wouldn't be surprised if more of your intern class were Wharton, Columbia, Booth... or hell, even Johnson students.

Series7examtutor:
For an MBA in finance, I would rank the schools in the following order
  1. Harvard
  2. Wharton
  3. University of Chicago
  4. Columbia
  5. NYU - Stern

lol, so Stanford, which has the lowest acceptance rates of all the MBA programs ... can't even crack top 5?

rofl

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Solid ranking. Not that I or anyone would believe HBS is #3 overall. Discounting that, the top 5 ranks are in-line with my thinking of the top 5 schools. The data and charts they show is pretty helpful to get a sense of what's going on.

Dolorem laborum recusandae sit error et eos. Id reprehenderit optio dicta aut expedita ad. Nam inventore quisquam et minus.

Architecto et id quia harum quis atque delectus. Quo incidunt blanditiis pariatur aspernatur. Qui amet nobis in modi sint quam.

Qui nostrum eveniet molestiae ipsa qui non maxime non. Magni accusantium vel explicabo temporibus atque dolorem ea.

Quam aut voluptatem dolorem quo perspiciatis. Vel nulla maxime possimus unde. Ratione corrupti perferendis aperiam et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”