The topic of transitioning over to an opportunity fund has been discussed in various forms throughout WSO but my question is more less in regards to the "ideal" MBA summer associate role and post-MBA path that would set one up best for a long career at an opportunity fund. I did not touch finance before b-school but spent 4 years in construction management at a national development firm and did my UG in architecture. Career networking starts the moment you begin school and I would like to focus on firms/roles that would best allow me to accomplish the above. Generally interested in development and value-add projects and way into the future, I intend to start a firm after building a network. I'm not sure I have the patience to do development straight out of b-school and will need to pay off student loans so starting salary is important.
Wall Street Oasis Notifications
Please tell us a little bit more about yourself to send you the most relevant notifications
Popular Content See all
- Income inequality, a topic that gets discussed a lot here.
I've been reading up on it, namely books and a lot of articles. Would like to hear other's thoughts on it.
My main thought is, would it be unavoidable? I feel there are two classes of people with money. Basically,...+65 by ironman32 in OFF
- My first big break was back in freshman year, I managed to cold call the head of investment banking at X bank. Managed to impress him enough to say he would help in pushing my resume for an interview for that year's internship. But never got the internship nor interview for the summers...+45 by kyleluck in IB
- It's that time of the year again... Intern Season
Graduated from a semi-target. Networked my way into banking and was lucky enough to secure an IB internship my sophomore year. Returned for my junior summer; realized I liked IB but not the firm. Went through the FT IB...+19 by monkeyking722 in IB
Below is an AMA podcast + some key takeaways on fundraising for PE and HFs.
I was in-house IR at a couple PE shops (1 successful, 2 not) and was head of cap intro at a BB ibank.
What questions do you have for me?
I'll do my best to cover / answer them all.
WSO...+19 by earthwalker7 in PE
- Hi guys,
I was hoping someone in the industry could explain to me what kind of maths/stats/CS skillset is required in trading/structuring/quant roles in exotics/hybrids/structured credit, etc vs for instance a role in FX or other highly liquid desks.
I ask this because I have a bsc in...+16 by EuroQuant in TR
- Fairly Simple. How much do you spend to maintain your lifestyle? What changes would you make to your lifestyle in the future?
As for me annually
Cars: Still drive a crappy car and don't have plan to upgrade, $2,000 on gas
Food: $3,000 goes to grocery,...+12 by ConservativelyLeveredCat in OFF
- I've been questioning my path recently. I'll be applying for full time positions soon and there's part of me that isn't 100% sold on what I am doing. It feels like it is the right path but I know there are so many other paths out there.
For me, if I hadn't spent so...+12 by tudorg in OFF
- It seems like all my life I have had vices. In high school, it was video games. College, drinking and weed. Now it is caffeine and sports betting. At this point I feel it is inevitable to have a few things that I can't do without, and I don't necessarily think it is a bad thing. All of...+11 by tudorg in OFF
- First job out of school, I was hired at a boutique HFF/Eastdil as an an intern at $15/hr, 45hr/week. I was hired explicitly with potential to become "full-time" once our office hires another producer (which was slated for that quarter) but we've been focused on opening offices...+11 by TheTankF in RE
- Curious to know what you guys think about the different markets/cities to work in here in the US. Every city seems to offer a uniqueness that can translate in to how easy it is to do business there, build a network, enjoy a quality of life, etc.
We constantly hear about NYC, LA, SF, Boston,...+10 by jayflip21 in RE
Upcoming EventsSee all
- Jun17Webinar: CFA - is it right for you? -- 9pm ET, 6/17/20199:00 EDT Online
- Jun18Podcast: How to be time rich -- Camille Holden -- 6/1812:00 to 1:00 EDT Online
- Jun19Financial Modeling Boot Camp -- New York City, 6/19-6/218:00 to 5:00 EDT Online
- Jun19WSO Boston Meet Up: Wed 6/19, 630-830pm, The Alley Bar6:30 EDT Boston, MA