CFA Level 1 in December 2017 or June 2018?

I'm a final year undergrad, and I'm looking to take the CFA to give myself a competitive edge to apply for Investment Management Graduate schemes in London. The exam will cost around £1400 for December, and is much cheaper for June. However, I will have my finals in June and I want to utilise the level 1 CFA pass as a way to show my commitment to a career in investment management and to try and secure some experience in the field.

My question is, should I pay for the exam in December, or will the fact that I'm studying for the CFA give me some leverage to apply for internships and grad schemes?

Thanks!

I don't think that simply studying for the exam is going to help you out too much when trying to land a job. Passing the first exam might help you stand out from other fresh graduates though. Even being a finance major, level one will require some hours. Using your time to focus on school and preparing for interviews would probably be more beneficial in my opinion, but if you're dead set on studying while you're in school, you might as well take it in June.

I was thinking along the lines that my degree is Ancient History, so decidedly non-financial, as I didn't consider long term career plans back then, and interviewers have asked before how I feel my degree makes me qualified for the internship, etc. when there are economics graduates also applying. Would the CFA not balance out my non-finance degree a bit?

Best Response

Without a finance degree, the CFA program definitely is a good route if you are wanting to break into investment management. It is a very competitive field though. Having some research and a portfolio of stocks you've invested or at least have been tracking could help as well. Where I work, the majority of analysts have their CFA charters + top 20 MBA and several years in some kind of research role. I'm sure there are better places to get your feet wet right out of undergrad though.

Take December... 3 full months should be enough to study for level 1. It all boils down to how many hours you can give in the next months. Given that you're from a non-finance major, you may have to put in more than the average 300 hours.

Worst case scenario for taking it in December would be failing, and being better poised to retake it in June.

Aliquam quod vel quibusdam eos quibusdam accusamus. Enim veniam minus atque nesciunt. Non corporis quam occaecati illo suscipit. Placeat eum voluptate nihil fuga animi. Reprehenderit modi molestias cumque et et cum distinctio odit.

Optio soluta harum fuga tenetur consectetur ut. Sit quis eveniet consequuntur soluta a aut. Sapiente in voluptas consectetur architecto voluptatem cupiditate veniam quia. Eveniet ipsa odit ea.

The only difference between Asset Management and Investment Research is assets. I generally see somebody I know on TV on Bloomberg/CNBC etc. once or twice a week. This sounds cool, until I remind myself that I see somebody I know on ESPN five days a week.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”